What's new
World Wide Stereo

Well the theater/den is almost there... (1 Viewer)

KevTN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Rich
Well after about 8mos of researching proding the wife the 'den' is on the way. A friend of mine who is an electrician is comming saturday to put a electrical socket over the fireplace, and help run a conduet to run the HDMI, and speaker wires. The wife insited on built in bookselves on both side of the fireplace, so finished up with the carpenter for the custom bookselves/cabinets are being started and should be ready in 3-4wks. Even worked out a deal for them to put crown molding around the whole room for only 200.00 extra. Next week or so going to paint the room.

Equipment already purchased:
Phillips 47PFL9732D that has the ambient light. (got it for almost a steal)
Samsung BDP1400 Blu-ray
Logitech Harmony 890
of course brace to hang it on the wall.

Purchase in a week or two:
Harman Kardon HKTS 15
Onkyo TX-SR705

so while many of you have some setups that make mine look like childs play...I'm happy with it. Going from a 36inch CRT to this I believe is going to be fun. I'm looking forward to it being complete and enjoying the fun! If you're wondering the room is kinda small 12x20 with 9' ceilings.

weng19

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren Eng
Sounds like a great system! I'm upgrading from a crappy 27" TV to some new stuff as well, but have just started the research. It has been kind of foisted upon me as we're redesigning the great room off our kitchen, and have hired a carpenter who needs the specs of my AV equipment.

Kind of tangential, but wondering what the carpenter is quoting you. We're paying around $10k for custom carpentry work that also takes ~4 weeks.

We've got a 20' x 20' room, and on one wall, he's building a trifold hide-away pocket doors for a 50" plasma (want it hidden to prevent excess TV temptation on the kids), building the stone fireplace mantle and hearth, and building symmetric cabinets on the sides. Each cabinet has a large drawer at the base with bifold doors atop them extending to a height of about 4 feet; there is a little stone ledge and 15" of open space, then open bookshelves (no doors) from there to the top.

Seemed like an ok price and a real nice guy, but just wondering what your custom woodwork design looks like costs. I'm in DC, if that makes any difference in $$.

Also, any crazy custom stuff on the cabinets? We're still in the design phase, but I figure I'll hide all the hardware down below behind one cabinet doors and use an RF remote system. He showed me some schmancy stuff (little drop downs where you can have your dvd player reside/easily load, etc) but I figured with built-ins, best not to build around components I'll probably change in 5-10 years.

Thanks for any insight! If you'd rather reply direct, just email to [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks