What's new

Well i just made my purchase...was it wise? (1 Viewer)

art_vandalay

Auditioning
I just bought the panasonic pt50dl54 50" dlp tv. I was having a hard time choosing between the lcd rear projection tv and this one. The lcd one had a picture that just seemed a bit more "sharper", but the dlp had a picture that seemed just a bit more "vivid". I was also looking at this new sony lcd rear projection tv that had "3 lcd" written on it, but with stand , taxes and warranty plan it would have cost me around 5500$ canadian, too much for me. I was also told that returning it after 6 months for the lcd rear projection one wouldnt be a problem if i started seeing rainbows, although i was really trying hard to see them in store. In fact im pretty sure i looked like a wierdo as i was trying to see them.

So does anyone have any tips for me on how to set up this new tv i have? Any recommendations for a good not too expensive dvd player to accompany it?

Also i just have to add that overall i found the dreaded "screen door effect" to be hardly noticable, if noticable at all, on the better lcd rear projection tvs. I hadnt even considered buying one because of what id read about the dreaded "sde" online, but after seeing some of them in store, i had to consider them too.

Thanks for all the help you've already given me!

Ken Burkstrum

Stunt Coordinator
What is meant by vivid, I understand Sharp and Smooth but vivid is something I'd like to know how to describe.

art_vandalay

Auditioning
Yes, by vivid i meant the picture seems to have more depth and a "3-D" appearence to it, more "alive".

BTW, is an upconverting dvd player like the panny s77 going to
make a big difference for me from a regular dvd player? I was actually thinking of just using my computers dvd player for now, is that a serious option for me? Thanx.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You pretty much nailed the trade offs PQ wise between DLP and LCD....

The newer DLP's are much less plagued by rainbows even to those like myself that see them easily.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting John. In the latest S&V mag they test the brand new HP 65 inch 1080P DLP, $5,500. The only negative was "some rainbow effects".

John S

Senior HTF Member
Author S. I can still see them by the way, DLP owners get so tired of the rainbow posts, I was avoiding issue.

There are finally some three chip DLP stuff comming right? I would assume 1080p on them is fine without any rainbows.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest that, before making up your mind which to buy, that you watch that model in the store for a few hours, even watching the same video clips repeat themselves. This should be enough to determine whether rainbow effect or screen door effect will be objectionable to you. Now that you got it home, just watch some shows and DVD's normally for a couple of evenings.

DLP display chips are coming down in price, but the HDTV capable chips are still up there in price. TV makers are sticking to the single chip color wheel technology and going to HDTV rather than produce 3 chip SDTV models at a more reasonable price. Three chip 1080p DLP is way out of sight price wise today (2005).

I finally chose an LCD (front projector) as opposed to a DLP because I notice the rainbow effect more than most people.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, and look like a total bizarro while doing it. ;) just take it home ... every b&m store has a 30-day money back guarantee anyway.

ps allan ... just giving you a hard time. :D

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would feel free to take the remote and tweak the TV in the store too. Although I have not had the experience with a TV, I was fidgeting with a VCR in the store and the clerk told me to take one home. I did make sure there was no restocking fee first.

RPTV's all have a "rib pitch" analogous to the "dot pitch" on a direct view TV. If you sit really close you may see a screen door effect from this but I think the ribs on the lenticular panel actually hide the screen door effect from LCD and DLP technology inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks