What's new

Weird audio behaviour during dvd playback? Receiver? Speakers or dvd/ dvd player??? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, while watching a dvd recently, the audio went kooky on me. It sort of sounded as if my speakers were blown, or the receiver was blown. The audio went kinda funky sounding, wonky like with lower volume and am radio like sound. I re-wind the dvd passage and it played ok the second time I think. I can't recall now exactly, but then it happened again yesterday with a second dvd. First time was with DTS (American Pie II), the second time was DD the dvd "Envy". I'm going to play some music in 5 channel stereo and do some other trouble shooting. During Envy, I removed and replaced my speaker leads and the optical connection from my dvd player to my receiver. The problem has gone away. I just wonder what is responsible for it. I just wonder what is responsible for it as I figure it could happen again. Is it a dirty dvd? A bad connection or is something in either of the DVD player, receiver or speakers failing?

Here is my setup:

Panasonic CV51 5 disc interlaced dvd player (upgraded firmware about 6 to 9 months ago, no problems).

Marantz SR 8000 5.1 surround receiver - bought used and had for over a year, no problems.

PSB Image speakers - 6T front towers, 9C centre and 2B surrounds.

Any ideas if my dvd player is crapping out? The receiver? Speakers? Was it a scratched or dirty DVD?

thanx for any feedback,

:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That sounds very similar to what happened to me last year. I was really worried it was my receiver, but it happened totally randomly, and only once in a while. Video would be fine, but it would crackle on the sound and then there would be no sound. I checked everything and it turned out to be my aging DVD player via the coaxial digital connection, because the player is still in use in my daughter's bedroom working just fine via analog.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
It could be the dvd player but I suspect something to do with connections, speakers or amplification. It sounds like blown audio speakers/amps. Wonky AM sounding and lower volume. Not always repeatable. I'm still not sure what it is. No crackling but maybe some total sound loss. I suspect it wasn't a dirty dvd because there were no "error" sounds like crackling, ticking or dropouts. Just a severe "dip" in sound quality. I suspect it was only the centre channel but I really can't say for sure.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

Maybe your DVD rewinder is wearing out. ;)

If it happens again, I'd suspect the player.

Mort

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Potentially bad news or not so bad news. I was listening to music today and realized my front right speakers tweeter was blown. Upon inspection I realized it was partially my fault because the banana plugs I fashioned previously had a weak connection. The weak connection probably caused intermittent performance and burnt out the tweeter (bi-wired). I replaced the tweeter for now with one from my surround (identical apart from a printed model mark). I'll have to order a new tweeter for the front. I checked all and everyone of my other speaker connections and made sure they're ok. I have sent away my Hitachi projector for service, so I won't quite miss the surround speaker for a few days. (Of course I could hook up my AE100, but thats another story). I will test things out and hopefully not find out that the receiver was damaged or that any other speakers/drivers were damaged. Speakers sound fine now playing music. Sound amazing actually, but thats just the way the SR 8000 and PSB 6T's have always sounded :)

So let this be a warning. Always make sure your speaker connections are solid and when something sounds wrong, investigate and trouble shoot immediately. Don't wait!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so I replaced the right speakers tweeter and music is back to sounding good. Now that my projector has returned I watched a movie in surround sound, something I haven't done since I sent my projector away to be serviced. I notice that my centre speaker is also blown. I'm also worried that my receiver is botched too because I suspect its not detecting and decoding AC3 dolby digital soundtracks.

First the speaker problem. Is it possible that the intermittent speaker-wire problem with my right speaker caused enough disagreeable voltage/current problems in the amplifier section of the amp that also caused my center speaker tweeter to burn out? The centre speakers speaker wires are not likely an issue because they don't have the same problem as the other ones did. I'm going to get the centre speakers tweeter replaced, hopefully under warranty like I did the right speaker. I think I should disconnect my speaker wires and re-connect them.

So what do you think?
What about the in-ability to detect and decode AC3 Dolby Digital? Thats kooky.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The inability to decode is usually a settings issue with the DVD player. Make sure all you speakers do not have blown drivers. You AVR may be ok, but running with blown drivers hooked up for any length of time is a definet no no.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
This is true. I'm replacing the tweeter and no longer running the centre, in fact, the last movie I watched I set the centre to NONE. I suspect there is the tiniest chance that the AVR is avoiding AC3 because of the blown driver, but I doubt it. I'm going to yank the receiver out and clean all the dust off and re-do all the speaker cable connections.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My bad about the dolby digital decoding. I'm almost positive. I was using a DVD that was dolby digital, but it was dolby surround, so it just had L & R and Surround lighting up on ther receiver. I replaced the tweeter and re-did the centre speaker wire and all is good. Decodes and plays back dolby digital 5.1 no problemo. I am pissed though because I accidentally touched the tweeter surface with my screw driver. It left a tiny, tiny dent about the size of a mm. I'm sure its fine, and it sounds perfectly good. Sure I could go back to PSB and beg them for another one, but I don't know. I should be ok....frick! At least my receiver is ok. Phew! I was stressed about that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks