What's new

We ♥ Katamari (1 Viewer)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The subject line is supposed to have a heart symbol in it - but it didn't come out right. So it should just read: We Love Katamari.

Anyway, I just got this last night. It's basically the same experience from Katamari Damacy, only with slightly better graphics and slightly more defined level goals. Can't say I have any reason to complain, though the sense of "discovery" is (by necessity) diminished this time. There's not quite the same feeling of awe as a world comes into focus around you.

The game is aware of its own status as a cult phenomenon, and doesn't fail to remind you of it. This is pretty hilarious actually, but does make it a little less charming than the original. This time around, the King talks... A LOT. So do other characters (before and after levels, especially). You might find yourself pressing the start button to skip past all the explanatory dialogue just to get to the game.

The music is really quite good, but not quite the catchy revelation of KD. Some of the songs are experiemental remixes of earlier tunes ... and some of it is very noisy.

The two-player modes are better this time. I especially like the cooperative levels (though the control is difficult unless you communicate with your partner), because I don't care much for split-screen. But if battle's your thing, you'll find a much more fun experience this time around.

The worlds are much more fantastical and imaginative this time around, too. Big lakes, fantasy forests (complete with centaurs and gingerbread houses)... and of course the regular worlds we all love. Definitely pick this up if you liked the original. Just don't expect an evolution in gameplay.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Whew. For a second there I thought those were newsprint symbols for a naughty word. ;)

I really dug the first one, and the tunes were really cool (do they have a soundtrack or two out?). Unfortunately, I still have the last couple of levels of the original and Beyond Good & Evil to get through before I can spend more money on games. In a lot of ways, this game was like the show "Arrested Development": smart, wacky, a little bit disturbing, and almost wholly original. I know the sequel can't be as groundbreaking at first, but I have a feeling that a lot of people who pick this up are, like myself, fans of the first one.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Some of the levels diverge from the standard K.D. flightplan (such as superfast katamari, underwater katamari, sumo wrestler katamari) and the music is very good (again), but some people might find some of the songs (kuro kuro rock, for example) a little too insane/noisy. It could be described as listening to a meteor of white noise bouncing around a drum kit with people yowling in the background.

The physics are better this time around. The graphics are more detailed. People get their pants set on fire. They run away screaming. You know the drill.

You can purchase the Katamari Damacy soundtrack, but I believe it's import-only. Just google "Katamari Damacy soundtrack". It's great. There is even a short tune on there that didn't make it into the game (if I'm not mistaken).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Fry's has this on sale for $19.99.
I'll just use my price match at Circuit CIty today.
$19.99 should be worth it to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks