What's new
World Wide Stereo

We Got a New Fry's in Bay Area!!!! (1 Viewer)

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Just happened to be driving around in Concord today and heard a Fry's ad on the radio. Grand opening Friday at 8am at the new store on Willow Pass. Just then I drive by and find out it actually opened today. Headed straight to the audio/video section and saw all the HK's. Right there was the 7200 for $799. That thing is HUGE!!!!

I'd love to have one of those monsters. They had it in the sound room with all the Polk speakers. Seems that Fry's only carries Polk and Cambridge Soundworks speakers along with some crappy Sony's. But at least they carry the R, RTi and Lsi lines.

I can see right now I'm gonna be in trouble with a Fry's so close by.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hey Greg, I live in Hayward and spend a great deal of time in the Fremont store (also SJ, PA and Campbell though I don't like the Campbell store as much). The ads in the SJ Mercury are also bigger than other papers in the Bay Area. Especially thr Friday paper. Anyway, my brother lives in Concord and we have been waiting for ever for the Concord store to open. BTW, is there a "theme" to the design of the store like "western" or Egyptian? And the traffic around Willow Pass Rd. is going to be a nightmare! Gene

Mike Curtis

Auditioning
I've been waiting for the store to open as well. I knew they were supposed to open this spring, but I heard the same add on the radio today. I am thrilled!!!

I'll probably be there on Friday night with my wife and 2 of my kids. It should be an exciting night of shopping. And I am looking for a new receiver!!!

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Mike, since the grand opening is Friday, I'd advise you to go Thursday instead. Many people don't know it's open yet and when they find out on Friday it'll be very crowded. I'm sure it'll be jam packed by Friday night. Especially since you're looking for a receiver, why not beat the rush?

Gene, I didn't notice a theme at all. Just a huge well organized store. Who knows if it will stay that way when the crowds hit.

Big selections of Onkyo and HK receivers. Also Sony and Panasonic but didn't notice any digital receivers. The HK and Onkyos were in the dedicated sound rooms. Panasonic and Sony just in the aisles.

Mike Curtis

Auditioning
Thanks the info Greg. I may get over there tomorrow night. I'll have to see how things go on the home front.

I've been looking at the HK 525 and 7200 receivers. I wish the carried Yamaha because I also have my eye on the 1400. I really want the YPAO or EXSet feature. I'm too lazy to do the SPL thing.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
:thumbsdown: :rolleyes

I wish Tulsa had a Fry's. The one in Dallas had some amazing deals there the last time I was there.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

You say that like it's a good thing. :confused:

Sorry, but my experiences at Fry's, especially WRT consumer electronics, has been nothing but trouble. I will buy electronics and computer parts there when they have a sale, but that's it. Their sales people are ignorant about the products their supposed to be selling, the inventory is always outdated and the prices, with the exception of the occassional sale, are not very good at all. And the Fremont store is always a mess. :thumbsdown:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fry's ROCKS! If you know what you are looking for... Just don't go there for speakers. :D They have good deals on receivers, especially the 7200 right now, but I wouldn't buy a whole lot else from their audio department. And YES, most of their audio/video staff has no clue what they are selling. I have a buddy who works at the Campbell store in a/v, and he is an exception.

I used to go to the first one over here off Lawrence Expwy, just one tiny room in an industrial complex. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Well, I bought my HK 320 for $299 there 18 months ago when Circuit City wouldn't budge off their $699 price. Ive had friends buy big screens for cheap and computer accessories are usually priced well. Because of sites like this and my own research I generally know what I'm looking for. So I don't need a salespersons help except to process the order.

I feel that most salespeople at Frys, Circuit City, Best Buy and Good Guys don't know enough. Waddya expect for the low wages and young staff? I know what I want so Fry's works very well for me. And bringing in another local competitor will usually help with price matching at the other stores.

Mike Curtis

Auditioning
I don't think I've ever bought anything at Fry's but I look through their newspaper ads each week. I agree that most of the staff don't have a clue about the stuff they are selling, but that can be said about most of the large electronic retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks