What's new

Wayne Gretzky's Comments (1 Viewer)

Stephen L

Second Unit
:angry: I always respected the Great One but I've had it with his complaining about the American media bias against Canada in the hockey tournament.Does he think that if the U.S. wasn't able to win we wouldn't be pulling for Canada ? Dam. A US crowd would never ever cheer for Russia like the crowd in Montreal during the 80's did during a Canada Cup tournament against the United States. Go Finland :p) BTW its been 50 years since Canada's last gold in hockey.50 years.:laugh:

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
A US crowd would never ever cheer for Russia like the crowd in Montreal during the 80's did during a Canada Cup tournament against the United States.
What are you trying to say here... who was playing? Russia, the U.S. and Canada at the same time?
:rolleyes

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been paying too much attention to this, but I did see this article:
ESPN on Gretzky
Perhaps its those types of things Stephen is referring too. I'm also guessing that he's talking about the US playing Russia in Canada at some point in the past.

Stephen L

Second Unit
What are you trying to say here... who was playing? Russia, the U.S. and Canada at the same time?
Well the Canada Cup was a tournament held in CANADA , the game was in MONTREAL the teams playing were US Vs. RUSSIA and the fans cheered very loudly for RUSSIA .Can't picture that happening in say NewYork , Boston or Philadelphia if the roles were reversed.Thats what I'm trying to say.:rolleyes

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It isn't just the American media he is complaining about... team Canada is getting lots of flak from home as well, which Gretzky feels is unjustified. Let's see some wins, then we'll quit criticizing, until then, show us the money!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
That article is one persons opinion of what Gretzky is talking about. I can give you links to about 10 other articles that have a very different spin on what he said.

Here is a direct quote from Gretzky's comments..

. "If a Canadian or American player had done that, we'd be called hooligans. But, if a Czech player does it, it's not a big deal."
Hardly bashing AMERICANS now is it...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Man, i saw like the meanest 'angry' face from Gretzky on the newspaper a few days ago.. man he seemed REALLY REALLY pissed!!!
Anyways, that cross check from Hamrkil was TOTALLY illegal and should have deserved at least a penalty... Sure it was towards the end of the game, but still there should be some punishment for that totally unfair heck...
It just looked painful, and it was just WRONG... As a canadian hockey fan, i agree with gretzky, he better watch his back when the NHL season comes... :angry:`

Stephen L

Second Unit
American propaganda.But, perhaps if Gretzky had chosen a better team, one more suited for this type of competition, he wouldn't have to lower himself to such grandstanding.Maybe, if he'd placed his own ego on the shelf, he would have chosen Canada's most successful hockey coach, Detroit's Scotty Bowman, to run this team, instead of Quinn.Perhaps, if he'd been a bit savvier, he would've named Canada's best active goaltender, Patrick Roy, to his original eight selections, instead of irritating Roy by snubbing him and creating a difficult situation Or, if he'd been a bit smarter, he'd have one of Canada's best young players, Joe Thornton, on his roster.Instead, now that things aren't working out so well, he's looking to pass the blame and change the issue. Sorry Wayne, we're not biting.If anyone is spewing propaganda, it's you, Great One.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I don't know all the little details of what has and what hasn't been said. But we can all agree that The Great One is under a tremendous amount of pressure, probably unlike anything he has seen even during his pro hockey career. I think all of us in this forum can't even fathom how much stress Wayne is experiencing, from the players, the media and the entire country. Cut the man a little slack. Perhaps its just a natural reaction for you, Stephen, to "have had it" when a Canadian complains, since it happens much to infrequently. I could start another thread on this and would like too but alas it would probably be closed with my first post.

And I'm betting, Stephen, that until August of 1988 when he was traded to the Los Angelas Kings, that you had never heard of the world's best hockey player before.

Stephen L

Second Unit
And I'm betting, Stephen, that until August of 1988 when he was traded to the Los Angelas Kings, that you had never heard of the world's best hockey player before.
Ouch! Cheap shot , sounds like you have more issues with Peter Pocklington than with me.BTW I 1st heard about the world's best hockey player when I was very young and Bobby Orr :D was wearing black & gold.As far as the great One I vaguely remember a big to do about him playing for the Cincinati Stingers in the WHL. That would be the World Hockey League , not the Western Hockey League(league of no defense);)I hope any Canadien citizens don't take my feeling the wrong way , I love Canada after all my wife was born & raised in Ontario , kind of like the 51st state. I just don't like Gretzky's remarks & attitude.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Like I said, this quote proves that he was speaking on behalf of North America as a whole...
player had done that, we'd be called hooligans. But, if a Czech player does it, it's not a big deal."
I just don't get why you are so insulted as an American? Did he burn a flag that I don't know of? ;)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Give me a break Stephen, Greztky has every right to complain after the spear and crosscheck given towards the end of the game. I can't remeber the last time i saw a crosscheck to a player like that. There was no need for it and I'm shocked it was not a 5 minute penalty for intent to injure. Go Canada.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, a thread about "respect" and complaining, whereupon the author goes on a nonsensical rant and suggests that someone kiss his ass.

...kind of like the 51st state.
I'd keep that to yourself when you find yourself amidst your Canadian friends. Most Canadians would find that remark condescending as hell.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'd keep that to yourself when you find yourself amidst your Canadian friends. Most Canadians would find that remark condescending as hell.
Nicely put Mitty.

Stephen is obviously trolling this evening..

G'night all...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I can't remeber the last time i saw a crosscheck to a player like that.
Hmm...I see cross-checks like that just about every game. The only thing different with the one yesterday was that 1.) it occurred at a crucial point late in the game 2.) there was no penalty called and 3.) an international audience was watching.

I don't deny that a penalty should have been called, but it seems like Gretzky is trying to use a typical cross-check as a rallying cry for his team. They shouldn't need to use that as motivation. Until late in the game yesterday, the Canadian team looked about as interested in the tournament as the Americans did in '98.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Give me a break Stephen, Greztky has every right to complain after the spear and crosscheck given towards the end of the game. I can't remeber the last time i saw a crosscheck to a player like that. There was no need for it and I'm shocked it was not a 5 minute penalty for intent to injure. Go Canada.
The Great One put on a marvelous act trying to shift the focus from the team and it's subpar play onto him. On the larger ice surface the Europeans are using guys like Yzerman as a pylon.

No doubt that Hamrlik speared Fleury but that's what you get when you are slow getting off the goalie with 30 seconds left. Would've happened in Medicine Hat and Moscow!

I think Wayne-O just got a little carried away, he hasn't had to give a speech like that since he played for St. Louis against the Wings. But then again maybe he had to prolong his time at the rink a little so he didn't have to go home and sit thru Flamingo Kid for the 3,999th time.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I think that the American Coach (Herb Brooks) will get the vote for the DUMBEST comment of the Olympics but you won't read much about it in the press because he's not Wayne Gretzky.
, guys. So there, I'll draw the line in the sand and you can take that right back."
What an ignorant and highly insulting remark to ALL of Germany.:angry: No class at all... :thumbsdown:
Let's get back to hockey shall we...

Stephen L

Second Unit
Let's get back to hockey shall we...
Sounds good to me , my rant from yesterday is over.Looks like Canada caught a major break with Sweden going down today.:emoji_thumbsup: BTW if the USA can't win I definately rooting for Canada.Would love to see a US Vs Canada final(sorry to any Euros reading this).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks