Wayne Gretzky's Comments

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen L, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

[​IMG] I always respected the Great One but I've had it with his complaining about the American media bias against Canada in the hockey tournament.Does he think that if the U.S. wasn't able to win we wouldn't be pulling for Canada ? Dam. A US crowd would never ever cheer for Russia like the crowd in Montreal during the 80's did during a Canada Cup tournament against the United States. Go Finland :p) BTW its been 50 years since Canada's last gold in hockey.50 years.[​IMG]

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I haven't been paying too much attention to this, but I did see this article:
    ESPN on Gretzky
    Perhaps its those types of things Stephen is referring too. I'm also guessing that he's talking about the US playing Russia in Canada at some point in the past.

4. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It isn't just the American media he is complaining about... team Canada is getting lots of flak from home as well, which Gretzky feels is unjustified. Let's see some wins, then we'll quit criticizing, until then, show us the money!

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

That article is one persons opinion of what Gretzky is talking about. I can give you links to about 10 other articles that have a very different spin on what he said.

Here is a direct quote from Gretzky's comments..

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Man, i saw like the meanest 'angry' face from Gretzky on the newspaper a few days ago.. man he seemed REALLY REALLY pissed!!!
    Anyways, that cross check from Hamrkil was TOTALLY illegal and should have deserved at least a penalty... Sure it was towards the end of the game, but still there should be some punishment for that totally unfair heck...
    It just looked painful, and it was just WRONG... As a canadian hockey fan, i agree with gretzky, he better watch his back when the NHL season comes... [​IMG]`

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

9. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Let's count the chips when it's all said and done.
    [​IMG]

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I don't know all the little details of what has and what hasn't been said. But we can all agree that The Great One is under a tremendous amount of pressure, probably unlike anything he has seen even during his pro hockey career. I think all of us in this forum can't even fathom how much stress Wayne is experiencing, from the players, the media and the entire country. Cut the man a little slack. Perhaps its just a natural reaction for you, Stephen, to "have had it" when a Canadian complains, since it happens much to infrequently. I could start another thread on this and would like too but alas it would probably be closed with my first post.

And I'm betting, Stephen, that until August of 1988 when he was traded to the Los Angelas Kings, that you had never heard of the world's best hockey player before.

11. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

12. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Like I said, this quote proves that he was speaking on behalf of North America as a whole...

13. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Give me a break Stephen, Greztky has every right to complain after the spear and crosscheck given towards the end of the game. I can't remeber the last time i saw a crosscheck to a player like that. There was no need for it and I'm shocked it was not a 5 minute penalty for intent to injure. Go Canada.

14. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Hmmm, a thread about "respect" and complaining, whereupon the author goes on a nonsensical rant and suggests that someone kiss his ass.

15. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

I'm not talking about the penalty Robert

16. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

18. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

19. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I think that the American Coach (Herb Brooks) will get the vote for the DUMBEST comment of the Olympics but you won't read much about it in the press because he's not Wayne Gretzky.

20. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit