What's new

Waverace...any reviews out there? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

I'm sure that some of you have bought Waverace with your Gamecube and I'm wondering if anyone can post a review of it here? I did a search for it, but didn't turn up anything.

I played the instore demo of the game, and was rather annoyed with the 1 second delay in movement when you move the control stick left/right to when your character actually moves on screen.

Anyways, I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the final release of the game.

Thanks.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That delay is to mimic the fact that jetskis don't have the sort of traction that land based vehicles have. Part of the skill in WR is to anticipate and steer ahead of time.

Me? I haven't played much at all -- just went through the beginner championship course. What I have seen of it so far is that all the improvements to gameplay, graphics and sound are incremental. Of course, the N64 WR was unparalleled as of last year, so it was quite advanced for its time. But this is not a breakthrough title.

That said, I still like the game quite a bit. But I'm spending most of my cube time playing Super Monkey Ball, so take that as you will.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Andy;

I imported the Japanese version of Wave Race: Blue Storm back in October and have beaten all the circuits. I can honestly say that I'm very happy with the game so far. Nice graphics, good sound (although the announcers are too annoying), and very challenging gameplay.

The control scheme in this new game takes a little more time to learn and perfect than it did in Wave Race 64, but once you get it down, it works very wells. It's very natural and realistic. You just need to get more involved with it, that's all.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, I went out and rented the game tonight(along with MGS2). And I have to admit, once I started playing it and actually getting into the game (playing more then 2 laps) I find myself having a lot of fun.

For me though, this is definatly a renter. Not because I don't like the game, but from what my experiences were with Wave Race 64. After I had beaten the game a few times, I never wanted to play it again. So it just sat around collecting dust for years and years. I don't see Blue Storm being any different.

That 1 sec of delay doesn't seem as evident as it was when I was playing it at a kiosk, which is odd.

Thanks for the help though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played this game at a kiosk for a while and got used to the control. Its very reminiscent of the control for the Rally cars in Gran Turismo 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks