What's new

Watching THX DVD's on the Denon 3802 (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the Denon 3802 and am looking for advice. Will this receiver recognize THX material in one of it's modes or do I have to use one of the modes to enhance the basic soundtrack of Dolby recordings? So far, I love the receiver and could not be happier with my choice. I have to say, it is a bit difficult in setting up though. Another quick question is when is using DTS-NEO best used. Thanks for the advice.
------------------
At my signal, unleash Hell.......
Toshiba 57HX81-(on order)
Denon 3802
Panasonic RP-91
Toshiba 808 6-Head SVHS
Definitive 2002TL's Mains
Definitive CLR2002 Center
Definitive BPX2 Surrounds

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
THX really isnt a "mode"....It's just a set of quality standards. Although the 3802 (which I have as well) isnt THX certified, it will play anything that is "THX" mastered - and play it extremely well I may add :). Just use the DD/DTS mode on your 3802. If you have rear surrounds, you can take advantage of 6.1 and 7.1 recordings too.
In all honesty, I think some non-THX certified receivers (such as the Denon 3802) sound better than some THX certified ones (such as the Onkyo DS787).
It just really depends on if the manufacturer seeks THX certification, and pays the price..
Just because a receiver has a THX logo on it, doesnt mean it's any better/worse than a receiver without the sticker.
-Ryan Dinan
------------------

Kevin Yu

Auditioning
But since THX certified receiver decodes Surround EX, wouldn't it sound better if playing a Surround EX encoded DVD? instead of converting it to DTS-ES? or am I just totally wrong?
Thx,
K.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
A receiver does not have to be THX certified to decode surround EX. The Denon will do Dolby 5.1 EX or THX Surround EX (whichever way you see it referred as). Also, you can't convert a Dolby EX signal to a DTS ES signal.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
I *believe* that any Dolby Digital 6.1 receiver (such as the Denon 3802) will deode the matrixed rear channel in a DD ES mix (THX or not), and steer it to the rear surround speaker. DD ES is fully backward compatible with 5.1 systems, because the rear channel is matrixed into the left and right surround channels - it's not a discrete channel. This works in the same way Pro Logic creates a center channel from a stereo source, which is why you can use a second Pro Logic receiver to add DD ES to your existing DD 5.1 system.
I don't believe you need to convert anything to DTS EX to hear the rear channel on non-THX certified receivers...
If anyone knows this to be false, please let us know :)
-Ryan Dinan
------------------

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
THX is a set of standards on some equipment (like amps).. But for receivers/pre-amps, it is actual processing. I have a Lexicon that has THX post-processing, which takes the 5.1 mix and processes it further.. I personally never even use THX, I listen to everything (including DTS material) in Logic7
wink.gif

Kevin Yu

Auditioning
So would there be a significant benifit to have a THX certified receiever for movies like Star Wars Episode I?
I guess would the THX processing makes it even better than DTS-ES?
Thx,
K

Mike Sheahan

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars Episode I doesn't have a DTS soundtrack encoded on the disk, so you can't listen to it in DTS. It only has Dolby 5.1 EX, and Dolby 2.0.
Any receiver capable of playing Dolby 5.1 will play this title in 5.1. To take advantage of the EX part, you need at least one back surround channel(preferably two), and a receiver that can decode the EX signal.
The Denon 3802 has seven powered outputs, that means it has amplification for two back surround channels built in. The Onkyo 797 has only one.
You do not need a THX certified system to do that.
[Edited last by Mike Sheahan on October 17, 2001 at 09:58 PM]
[Edited last by Mike Sheahan on October 17, 2001 at 10:11 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks