What's new

Warning - keep Oreos out of reach of children (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Informing customers about trans fats on food labels could prevent 7,600 to 17,100 cases of coronary heart disease and 2,500 to 5,600 deaths per year, the FDA has estimated.
No it probably couldn't. People who eat Oreos (and similarly death-ladened products) don't read labels, and they are very likely to continue eating their popcorn, potato chips, crackers, and cookies even if they are informed. Why? Because those foods taste good and death is so very, very far away.

But why would practicality ever concern a moral crusader with a lawsuit to file? :rolleyes

Brad

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
26 years of eating Oreo cookies and I haven't had that massive heart attack yet. I think I might just make it ;)

But thanks, Mr. Joseph, for trying to get your greedy ass into my kitchen :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Until a judge disbars and fines an attorney for this type of lawsuit, the idiocy will continue. The venue to argue this is not the courts! If trans-fatty acids are deemed too dangerous for public consumption, it is the legislature's responsibility to ban them or require labels, not the judiciary.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
How can you possible attack Oreos without first examining Twinkies? Or candy corn? Maybe candy corn gets a waiver since it was all made back in the early 1900's and we're still munching off of the original stockpile (kinda like how you can't require seatbelts in vintage cars).

I'm with Todd. Let's file a class-action.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
People who eat Oreos (and similarly death-ladened products) don't read labels, and they are very likely to continue eating their popcorn, potato chips, crackers, and cookies even if they are informed.
What the hell is wrong with popcorn!?
Say it ain't so!:eek:

There's nothing wrong with popcorn! Orville Redenbacher's Light Natural Gourmet Popcorn only has 60 calories for an entire bag, is very low in fat, and high in fiber. It's the perfect healthy snack.

It's all the garbage that people put on top of popcorn that's bad.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm also assuming that normal popcorn is also a healthy snack when compared to potato chips and such.

I don't mean light popcorn, just popcorn that isn't loaded with butter. I just found it odd that it was mixed in with the likes of potato chips and cookies.

I do love my popcorn.:D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Until a judge disbars and fines an attorney for this type of lawsuit,...
If I recall correctly a judge can't disbar an attorney. Perhaps one of the lawyers in the forum can clarify this for us but I believe that it is a disciplinary committee that actually disbars an attorney.

As for this particular lawsuit, it’s a waste of time.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
We need get started now. The following will be outlawed:
ice cream
pudding
cokes
coolaid
sweet tea
ALL candies
donuts
potato chips
granola bars (if they have anything like chocolate chips in them)
all cereals[sp] (expect grape nuts of course)
pop tarts
crackers
any kind of bread
pizza
hamburgers
tacos
hot dogs (remember they're made of lips and assholes)
coffee
all cookies
most fruits

This is the only way we'll all look good in those spandex jackets that Mr Fagen sung of.

Eventually all foods that are not approved by a panel of "experts" will be outlawed. After all we do need to be protected from ourselves, right?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I think the answer is simple, the surgeon general must put warning labels on food products similar to cigarettes.

WARNING: The surgeon general has determined that eating too many Oreo cookies over your lifetime may be hazardous to your health.

Or perhaps some broadcast commercials like:

"This is your waistline, this is your waistline on Oreo cookies" or

"Friends don't let friends eat Oreo cookies"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This lawyer should read the news more often. There was a big hubbub about trans fats several years ago. Where was he then? This ain't nothin' new.

What, you mean popcorn with butter, grated cheese, and bacon bits on top isn't healthy? :D

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure that how it works in DC and Virginia, where I practice, is that disbarment is usually handled by the state Bar's disciplinary committee, although I seem to remember seeing some cases of disbarment that were either appealed to, or otherwise handled by, the DC Court of Appeals (and, therefore, judges).
Judges can refer matters to the state Bar, though. It's happened in one case I was involved in (it wasn't me who got reported!).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting awefully tired of some judge or lawyer trying to tell me what they think I should and should not be eating. How about, I'll decide to eat 8 bags of Oreos and suffer the consequences of my actions.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
How about, I'll decide to eat 8 bags of Oreos and suffer the consequences of my actions.
The trouble is that most AREN'T willing to suffer the consequences of their actions. They go belly-aching to insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid to pick up the cost of their "indiscretions." Indirectly, I end up paying, via taxes and higher insurance rates. I think that's the rub.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
We need get started now. The following will be outlawed:

ice cream
pudding
cokes
coolaid
sweet tea
ALL candies
donuts
potato chips
granola bars (if they have anything like chocolate chips in them)
all cereals[sp] (expect grape nuts of course)
pop tarts
crackers
any kind of bread
pizza
hamburgers
tacos
hot dogs (remember they're made of lips and assholes)
coffee
all cookies
most fruits

This is the only way we'll all look good in those spandex jackets that Mr Fagen sung of.

Eventually all foods that are not approved by a panel of "experts" will be outlawed. After all we do need to be protected from ourselves, right?

Hmm, sounds like bigotry against Fatties is catching on in American. First we take away their sustenance, then we start chargeing them more for airline tickets, and finally we round them all up and put them in mmndatory 'health-camps'

All in the name of "For your own good, and it saves society the cost of their healthcare."

Don't laugh, it's not far from possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks