What's new

Warner's U.K. releases...a foreshadowing of R1 items? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
To Jeff Ulmer:
The listing for Point Blank is for a VHS edition, so it won't matter anyway.
DAMN! I need a good/great DVD edition of this gem. Never seen in in 2.35:1, I know, it's tragic. :frowning:
Gordy

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Dave,
I would assume that listings like "Color Purple" and "Christmas Story" would be SE revisits.
In the case of Christmas Story I unfortunately doubt it. It hasn't been released in R2 at all so far, so chances are this is just the bog standard catalogue release. (Sometimes catalogue releases take ages to get released over here, e.g. Sunset with Bruce Willis just got released a few weeks ago.)
But, and this this is a big BUT, there is a slight chance that it may be widescreen. Point in case: Bridges of Madison County, which is anamorphic widescreen over here. Of course that won't help much if you can't play R2 PAL discs.
Chris

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm going to be a little skeptical of this list for now. Has there been anyone else to verify some of this info other than the original post by a new member of the DVDFile.com forum? Now don't get me wrong I would love to have the Looney Tunes sets and some of the others, but I don't want to get my hopes way up based on an unknown source. Maybe Bill Hunt or somebody will have some news on this.

Chris S.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm begining to think that this is a hoax - or perhaps it's a semi-hoax. I e-mailed Andy C at said Link Removed and he said he recieved an identical list via e-mail from an unknown source and was told not to show the whole list on his site. Hmmm.
The thing that is arousing my suspicion is the Special Editions of such films as, The Right Stuff, The Deer Hunter, The Mission and Greystoke - not that these films don't deserve SEs or that SEs are unlikely, it's just that at this time, SEs of those films seems... strange? Warner co-distributed Deer Hunter this year with Canal+ as a bare-bones, anamorphic, DD2.0 stereo edition as a budget title, and for a SE to be created for a region 2-only edition would seem unusual - it would be great, don't get me wrong, but... you know.
I hope and pray thay my suspicion is unfounded! Bring those titles on! Region 1 or region 2, I'll take the titles I listed in my original post! :D
Gordy

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks Dave I just finished reading the post on TheDigitalBits. If Bill's sources are saying that the Looney Tunes dates are good then I believe him. Now I just hope that there is similar good news for us R1 fans.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Many of these releases are not owned by Warner in region 1, especially the British films (most of which are owned by Anchor Bay).

I hope this list is legitimate, especially since I have a multi-region player, as there are many films on this list I would love to own.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
He-Man.
Now, they don't mention if this is the original, or the new. If it's the new, I'll skip over it because I already have them on tape. I'll just convert them to homemade DVD and problem solved :).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am looking forward to the 2 disc edition of Once Upon a Time in America complete with a commenatry on june 30, 2003
:D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Has there been any confirmation from Warner UK or even Warner USA on these titles?

I like Warner Home Video. I know that 2003 will herald great DVD editions of great films and I hope that at least some of the titles listed are part of their releases.

Gordy

James Reader

Screenwriter
Has there been any confirmation from Warner UK or even Warner USA on these titles?
Most of the January/February and some of the March releases are already up for order on some UK based e-tailers so I'm happy to believe the list (as it stands) is genuine.
The fact that Harry Potter atCOS is missing is perplexing, especially as everyone is expecting this to have a May release. But then again, if you were creating a hoax list, would you miss off Harry Potter?
However, as you know schedules often slip so I would expect the later releases to be released, but probably (most likely in-fact) not on the dates specified.
As for Warner USA confirming the titles, why should they? It's a UK list and some of the titles are not even owned by Warner in America.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
As for Warner USA confirming the titles, why should they? It's a UK list and some of the titles are not even owned by Warner in America.
I didn't mean that Warner USA would confirm the releases for the UK per se, but perhaps they could confirm if and when certain titles would be released in the US. As you can see, I live in the UK. But I buy a lot of region 1 releases and would like to have certain titles sooner rather than later, ie. The Haunting, Once Upon A Time In America etc.
The reason was concerned over the list being a hoax, was merely that there are so many great titles on the list that it was a lot to take in. Harry Potter is of no consequence to me.
Thanks for the info though. :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

James Reader

Screenwriter
I think informally it has been aknowledged that work was being undertaken on The Haunting. Did Robert Wise state this during an interview earlier this year?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I myself have not heard any word on a prospect of a DVD edition of The Haunting bar the list that was originally posted for the UK Warner releases for 2003. I really hope that it is underway and that the DVD is of high quality. Great film.
Gordy

Kristoffer

Second Unit
These sounds cool:
Matrix SE, sounds good. Hopefully DTS ( ES ? ), those rumored deleted scenes, and a commetary by the brothers ( the one on bound is great! )
Matrix Reloaded!!!
Casablanca SE
Goodfellas SE
Mean Streets SE

But where is King Kong, and Where Eagles Dare ???

James Reader

Screenwriter
Kris, King Kong is already availble on DVD in the UK released by Universal UK (see Here)
I'm not sure why, but Citizen Kane is also released by Universal UK over here as a rather poor, unrestored and barebones release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks