What's new

Warner sets: Hitchcock Sig. v Controversial Classics (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I am thinking of getting one of these two sets.
I know I should get both, but at the moment only one is in the cards, which would you take first?

Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Chris,
They're both excellent boxsets filled with some great films. I think it depends on your preference towards Hitchcock versus a set of films that were directed by some other excellent directors. I don't think you can go wrong in either case.

Crawdaddy

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Yeah, guess I wasn't being very helpful, thanks for the response though.
I am interested in films from both sets, I had originally been set on the controversial box, then the Hitchcock crept back into my mind.

I think I may be leaning toward Hitch, my collection and experience in general is sorely lacking in that department.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I'd vote for the Controversial Classics box. More variety, and perhaps overall a more consistently good selection of films (the Hitchcock box mixes some masterpieces in with some less-essential films, though everyone will disagree on which are the inessential ones).

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
They're both exceptional...but if I had to choose one, I'm in agrement with Mr. Weinman. Each film (IMHO) in the CONTROVERSIAL CLASSICS film is an essential for any true cinephile. The Hitchcock collection has a few films, which, because they are by Hitchcock, are certainly worth having, but are a not screen landmarks (STAGE FRIGHT comes to mind).

Each film in the CONTROVERSIAL CLASSICS box is worth a thousand words, and much praise. Geeez, I've already watched the new docu on A FACE IN THE CROWD three times!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm a Hitch fan so I'm admittedly biased in recommending that set. There isn't a clinker in the box and even the so called "lesser" films are quite enjoyable and hold up to repeat viewing. Additionally you'll get some real gems with films like "Foreign Correspondent" that haven't gotten their due by the general public.

I guess if I were you, I'd buy whatever intrigued me the most at the moment then save my money and buy the other set in a few months. DeepDiscountDVD will likely have a 20% sale in the fall so you could pick up the second box then.

Either way, you can't lose.

Steve

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Waiting for the Deepdiscountdvd.com sale is the way to go!

Especially on higher priced items. Although, the WB boxes are the best value in the industry, because even at normal Amazon/Deep Discount prices, the movies are a great deal.

I have every WB boxed set that's been released in the last two years. My "I have to have it now" sensibliity hasn't afforded me the luxury of the DDD sales bargains, but that's when I stock up on the TV stuff that I know I want to own, but will likely not want to watch right away...

Meanwhile to get back on topic, BOTH the HITCHCOCK and the CONTROVERSIAL CLASSICS boxes are great, and really essential to your library.

Extra news. Don't buy any Universal Hitchcock stuff. Inside scoop is they're releasing all new editions in a big promotion this Fall.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I've read that also. It does puzzle me somewhat since I thought the existing DVDs were all very good to excellent both in presentation and in special features. Even Vertigo, which some boycott because its not 16x9 enhanced, looks excellent (at least to my eyes).

The Man Who Knew Too Much could look better though and that's one title that I might rebuy if it's a significant improvement.

Steve

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Hitchcock set is terrific, but it's a great mix of A and B Hitchcock.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I Confess, and The Wrong Man are underrated classics. Obviously, Foreign Correspondent, Strangers on a Train, Dial M For Murder, and North by Northwest are top-notch Hitchcock.

BTW, I'm all for new Universal Hitchcock DVD's. Vertigo and Psycho look great, even if non-anamorphic. I'd imagine new 16x9 editions would only look better. The Man Who Knew Too Much '56 has a new unused Cineon digital restoration. Vertigo has also had a little bit of digital work since the original DVD.

Universal owns 14 Hitchcock films, so it would be interesting to see if they'd release a complete box set. Especially since Warner's 9-film set was very cost-effective (About $70-80 for 9 films). And we still need some decent DVD's of Hitchcock's 1926-1939 films!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
As a huge Hitchcock fan myself, I think you can't go wrong with either box. I've been immersed in the Controversial box this week, so that's where my mind is, but both boxes are awesome and jewels to add to your collection. Whichever you buy will be the right choice. (Provided you eventually buy the other one as well. ;) )

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
On balance the Controversial Classics are the better films with occasional traces of political correctness or message film creeping in.
The Hitchock box does have rather weaker Hitchcock films. The idea of using the impending war as a McGuffin in FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT is rather tasteless and Joel McCrea embodies the American guy in a rather annoying way. MR.AND MRS.SMITH and STAGE FRIGHT are cute, funny movies which is more than can be said about DIAL M FOR MURDER which is a plot machinery without any feeling or characters. STRANGERS ON A TRAIN is horribly silly plotted and you simply can't overlook the huge plot holes like in other Hitchcock pictures (e.g.VERTIGO).
SUSPICION and I CONFESS are memorable pictures, THE WRONG MAN and NORTH BY NORTHWEST masterpieces.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone,
I ended up with the Hitchcock set, partly because they sold out of the COntroversial set prior to my arrival, making the decision easier.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is the anti-Sophie's choice. Either way you go, you will feel good about your decision. :)

Yes you can. It's my Favorite Hitchcock film and in its own way, just as personal and primal as "Vertigo".

Regards,

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
A guy is entitled to his opinion, but it certainly makes other opinions, such as in the 30's film thread, suspect IMO. :)

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator

At the moment I'm watching all Hitchcocks, but STRANGERS ON A TRAIN was the biggest disappointment. The period between 1947 (PARADINE CASE) and 1954 (DIAL M FOR MURDER) is widely recognized as a crisis time for a struggling, experimenting Hitchcock and IMHO STRANGERS is no exception.
I find the opposition psychopath - good guy troubling and the "exchange of guilt" thematic not sufficiently developed since Guy is and remains the good guy. Ruth Roman hasn't much to do and Guy's woman is a one-dimensional bitch.
Aside from some dated points (you can't meet a tennis star in a train today; spectators DO NOT move their heads to follow the game) the movie creaks badly the more it progresses.
Why doesn't Guy tell the police about Bruno?
Why is Bruno constantly appearing in public places or parties with Guy creating connections between them whose lack is the whole idea behind the plan?
Why does go Guy in the dark night with a gun to the father and creeps in his bedroom? Yes, you're right he wants to warn him!!! And why is Bruno in his father's bed? Does he know that Guy will chose this bizarre way to warn his father?
Why in god's name isn't Guy pretending to have an injury or loses the game fast instead of playing endlessly though he's in a hurry?
And what exactly is the cigarette lighter proving? Couldn't his murdered wife gotten it back or borrowed from Guy? And who is expected to find the lighter?
Why has the merry-go-round a hand gear for "deadly fast speed" and why is this cop shooting like an idiot and killing the guy handling the merry-go-round? And why is the old man stopping the merry-go-round so violently, wouldn't it be better to slow the speed???
And how does Bruno manage to hold the lighter in his hand after this crash and what does the lighter in his hand anyway after he was just fighting with Guy and needed free hands?
Shall I continue?

As I said Hitchcock's stories have occasionally huge plot holes which needn't to be a problem if you have a movie like VERTIGO where the characters are interestingly drawn and you don't have the time to think about what's wrong. But in STRANGERS the whole affair is very shallow and schematic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You can continue if you wish, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have the same problems with the script as you do. To each his own.

Crawdaddy

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I think the answer is called "suspension of disbelief" - I think it works all right.

(And no, I'm not really being sarcastic. Since English is a foreign language to me, I sometimes just "think" that's what it's called...)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm really excited to hear that the Universal Hitchcock films are being reissued, I'd suspected this much and that's why I hadn't picked them up. It was an extremely hard decision considering they are some of my favorite films of all time, but I'm glad that they are being revisited and I hope each gets redone with a brand new anamorphic transfer and even more extra features and commentaries. The cover art and box designs were also pretty weak, the UK and Korean editions were much classier looking, so overall I think it's a great thing that Universal wants to redo these and I hope they do a fitting job! I'll be really excited to finally buy these movies. Does anyone know which quarter of '06 they're expected?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks