What's new

Warner how about a Paul Newman Boxset including "HARPER" (1 Viewer)

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got an HD cable box from Comcast. The INHD channel has been showing both 'Harper' and 'The Mackintosh Man'(albeit in cropped 16x9 versions beyond the opening credits.)

Could this be an indication that these titles might be released in 2006 on DVD? (Preferably in a Warner box set that includes several other titles mentioned in this thread.)

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the update - a Paul Newman box from Warner really would be a treat...although I really would make do with a double set made up of a special edition of HARPER and its (admittedly inferior) sequel THE DROWNING POOL - and it is the 40th anniversary of HARPER this year...

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
If Warners are intending to release 'The Mackintosh Man', I hope will be as part of a John Huston box. Then they could also include the wonderful 'Reflections In A Golden Eye' (long overdue for a DVD release) and a special edition of 'The Man Who Would Be King' (the present Region 1 release is a flipper), which could possibly include a commentary by Caine and Connery if they can be reunited. As a fourth title, they could add 'The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean' to make a very attractive box set.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
If Warners are intending to release 'The Mackintosh Man', I hope will be as part of a John Huston box. Then they could also include the wonderful 'Reflections In A Golden Eye' ... and a special edition of 'The Man Who Would Be King' ... As a fourth title, they could add 'The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean' to make a very attractive box set.
I would certainly buy a WB Huston box set, and the set you've imagined sounds terrific.

I think that 'Reflections In A Golden Eye' appeared on the INHD channel in the days prior to delivery of the cable box. (I had been eyeing the schedule in anticipation; unfortunately, I did not anticipate that they would be cropping the scope pictures.)

I think it's also possible that another Elizabeth Taylor set might appear with at least a 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' special edition, and 'Reflections' would be a perfect addition to that set.

But I'm still hoping for a 'Cool Hand Luke' upgrade, and a chance to see an OAR 'Harper.' (And as a Ross MacDonald fan, 'The Drowning Pool' is also a certain purchase.)

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
With reference to the great Ross Macdonald, William Goldman actually followed up his script for HARPER with an adaptation of THE CHILL, perhaps Macdonald's finest novel - in addition there is the ARCHER television series and the series pilot adaptation of Macdonald's magnificent THE UNDERGROUND MAN, although as these were made by Paramount...

I really hope someone interviews Newman, Bacall, Wagner, Hill, Mandel, Goldman (especially), Julie Harris and Shelley Winters about HARPER soon!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
All great suggestions
Would love to see the Silver Chalice. You think with the upcoming theatrical release of Da Vinci Code, about the search for the Chalice, warners would jump on this bandwagon.
Silver Chalice -it would be nice if Warners released this in the original 4.0 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks