What's new

Warner how about a Paul Newman Boxset including "HARPER" (1 Viewer)

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard about HARPER (1966) coming to DVD - the original LaserDisc was pretty good looking anyway, but there were no extras at all.

Practically all the main creative people behind and in front of the camera are still around after all - including actors Paul Newman, Robert Wagner (in his best role), Janet Leigh, Lauren Bacall as well as screenwriter William Goldman, director Jack Smight and composer Johnny Mandel. Sadly Conrad Hall has now passed away, but this is a disc I for one would dearly love to see one day.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Bump!

Well, it's been a while since I wondered out loud about this film and Leigh and Smight have both passed away.

I'm a huge fan of this beautifully shot star-studded love letter to the 1940s private eye genre.

It didn't get mentioned in the Warner live chat, but I hope that sooner or later this will appear, especially as the also superb (is altogether darker) NIGHT MOVES is now finally on its way.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I'd also like to see Warner release HARPER and its sequel, THE DROWNING POOL. Maybe they could combine them as a double-feature? I believe they've dabbled with the double-feature format on a few obscure films before.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I agree, bring on the Paul Newman box set. The upcoming Steve McQueen box set from Warners is welcome and Newman was a bigger star and more of an anti-hero than McQueen.

A box set of Harper, Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Left Handed Gun, The Prize, The Rack and just for fun, The Silver Chalice would make a great gift to Newman fans.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's probably the worst film of his career but (to save on money) they could throw in WHEN TIME RAN OUT... as well. I love bad films but the only way I'd buy this one is if it's in the set with better films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Warner should release a Newman boxset. How about doing a Cool Hand Luke SE along with Cat on the Hot Tin Roof SE, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Young Philadelphians, Somebody Up Their Likes Me, The Left Handed Gun, Harper and The Rack.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Warner also owns the below titles so we'd have enough for two sets. Perhaps a SE of COOL HAND in one and the SE for CAT in the other.

HELEN MORGAN STORY
UNTIL THEY SAIL
LADY L (through MGM)
THE OUTRAGE (through MGM)
POCKET MONEY
MacKINTOSH MAN

Other Newman's not owned by Warner include:

Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys (Fox)
Paris Blues (MGM)
Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (Fox)
Secret War of Harry Frigg (Universal)
WUSA (Paramount)
Sometimes a Great Nation (Universal)
Quintet (Fox)
Harry and Son (???)

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE PRIZE is underrated (great script by Ernest Lehman), supporting cast, and score
by Jerry Goldsmith. THE RACK is a terrific drama about brainwashing during the Korean War. It's never been on homevideo and I consider it my favorite Newman performance. There's a terrific performance by Walter Pidgeon as Newman's father. The supporting cast includes Rod Taylor, Dean Jones, Lee Marvin, Cloris Leachman, and the ubiquitous Robert Blake.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would like Sweet Bird of Youth, The Young Philadelphians and the Silver Chalice.
Silver Chalice was slightly cut during the first run and went from 142 min to 135 I think.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'd certainly support any pretext for Warners to release 'The Left-Handed Gun', one of my favourite westerns.

'The Mackintosh Man' has also been mentioned. Actually, I'd like Warners to do a John Huston set, primarily because I hope such a set would include the marvellous 'Reflections In A Golden Eye' and a special edition of 'The Man Who Would Be King' (possibly with a commentary by Sean Connery and Michael Caine). If they do get around to this, 'The Mackintosh Man' and 'The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean' (also starring Paul Newman) could make up a nice four-film set.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Add my vote for a Paul Newman boxset, there are at least 9 titles I would love to see in it.

A boxset would be specially welcome since Newman announced that he might be retiring.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Tennessee Williams' Sweet Bird Of Youth has been mentioned as part of a Paul Newman box set although the film really belongs to Geraldine Page in a knockout performance but reading between the lines during the Warners chat, I see where they're doing a SE of Streetcar Named Desire, they say Baby Doll is coming as well as plans for The Night Of The Iguana ..... Hello? Is it only me or do I see a Tennessee Williams box set in the works?

Warners owns several Tennessee Williams films which would be ideal for a box set. In addition to the above titles, they also own the little seen 1950 version of Glass Menagerie, The Roman Spring Of Mrs. Stone, the truly horrendous Last Of The Mobile Hotshots and thru MGM a rare Williams comedy, Period Of Adjustment with Jane Fonda. Surely enough for a box set if you ask me.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Warner doesn't own THE GLASS MENAGERIE.

They only distributed it. The rights reverted to producer Charles K. Feldman, who eventually sold them to 20th Century Fox.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I disagree, though, Page gave an absolute great performance, the way the movie was filmed, it centered on Newman's character and his relationship with the other major characters in the film.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE GLASS MENAGERIE (1950) was the first adaptation of a Williams play and it was controversial because of the casting of musical-comedy star Getrude Lawrence (the original stage "Anna" in THE KING AND I and the subject of Julie Andrews' 1968 biography STAR) as Amanda. It's a rather fascinating film and though, I suppose, Lawrence was no Laurette Taylor, she acquits herself well. In all other respects,this version is the quinessential Warner Bros. film--a Max Steiner score, direction by Irving Rapper (NOW VOYAGER), and Warner contract players Jane Wyman as Laura (fresh fromher Oscar as JOHNNY BELINDA) and Arthur Kennedy.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford,

Yes, I know the film is centered on Newman and his relationship to the other characters. When I said the film belonged to Page, I meant that whether it was intended or not, Page stole the movie away from Newman. Not unlike, say, Room At The Top which is all about Laurence Harvey's character but the film belongs to Simone Signoret in a lesser role and for which she received an Oscar.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Well, her role as a prima donna with a substance abuse problem would make it difficult for her not to upstage everybody else, especially, an actress as good as Page.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks