What's new

Warner Archive titles you've bought (1 Viewer)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
The F.B.I. S1-5, undecided about continuing with S6

Randall, I would recommend at least adding Season 6 to your collection. Last June, I finally went ahead and purchased all 9 seasons. I'd never gotten to see the show before, beyond clips (never seen it show up in reruns), but had wanted to eventually try this QM series. A summer sale at Deep Discount had the various sets at a slightly more reasonable price for me to go ahead and finally grab them all, certain I would enjoy it and want to own the whole series. Anyway, after browsing an episode guide, I decided to start watching with Season 6 since not only did the various plots sound interesting but the guest star list was strong, even by the high QM standards. Season 6 includes William Shatner, Lois Nettleton, Suzanne Pleshette, Mariette Hartley, Diane Keaton, Billy Dee Williams, Carl Betz, Robert Loggia and quite a few others. No regrets starting with Season 6, after which I went backwards to Season 5 and then others. Fun stuff.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Dave for that recommendation. I love The FBI and all QM shows in general. I was thinking of getting FBI season 6 eventually, and yes, based on the guest star lineup I've browsed on the IMDB episode guide. Those QM shows are great for the likes of us, aren't they? Some episodes have 4 or more of our favorite era's tv stalwarts, and so many of our old favorites too! Thanks for reminding me that Suzanne Pleshette, Lois Nettleton, Mariette Hartley, Diane Keaton et al are in that season, as well as the ubiquitous Shat. And Robert Loggia is always intense. I watched The FBI original run right up to about season 7, and sporadically in season 8, I think. I've never seen any of season 9.

My hesitation in continuing past season 6 on DVD is probably born from two factors...maybe the show was getting long in the tooth and I remember the 1970-71 lobbying campaign against QM and The FBI that was waged by the Italian American Anti-Defamation League and it's leader, Mobster Joe Colombo, to drive out all references to "Mafia", "La Cosa Nostra" and any Italian surnames being used for villains in network tv. That campaign came to an ironic and darkly hilarious end when Joe Colombo was shot multiple times at a rally in Columbus Circle NYC in summer 1971. Colombo was the first American born (and youngest) Mafia boss in the Profaci/Bonanno/Colombo New York crime family locked in a gang war with the Gallo/Gambino Family at the time. Them were the days. Colombo (and Frank Sinatra) had hijacked the rightful pride of Italian Americans with this false front under the guise of civil rights. And in doing so had done damage to the reputation of all good law abiding and hard working Italian Americans. But of course, this factor only effected those scripts supposedly based on actual FBI cases involving the Mafia. Still, this was deadly to the reputation of a show that was ostensibly based on actual FBI case files and that had the co-operation of the Federal Agency itself. Still, the networks complied because of intimidation, effecting all of the action shows in that era.

The other factor being the general pacification of American television in the same era, to tone down all onscreen violence. That campaign (or trend) began in 1968 in the wave of assassinations and burgeoning violent crime. Sometimes the action and stunts on The FBI and other shows suffered for that, along with the entertainment value of the show. At least for the 15 year old I was then. Ironic also that this was in full sway while Hollywood feature films were becoming ever more explicit with gratuitous and graphic violence. And sexuality. Necessitating the MPAA "R" and "X" ratings.

There's a fine line for me when violence is depicted on tv, while I thought suppressing the violence and gun play went way too far in the late '60s to early '70s, I'm aghast at what I see now on HBO's Westworld for instance...

I definitely hold The FBI in high regard and am glad to have the WAC releases. Great that you got a good deal on the whole series Dave. I think my favorites have always been the espionage/sabotage and cross country fugitive manhunt story lines. A prestige show for QM, the guest star lineups are astounding (not long ago I watched an episode with Peter Graves, Joanne Linville, Louis Jourdan, Jessica Walter and William Smithers, just one example!). And phenomenal music by Bronislaw Kaper and Dominic Frontiere! One vivid memory I have from watching The FBI as a teenager (and after a long school day) was my dad being angry with me if I fell asleep during Act IV or before the epilogue finished...ha, ha, almost as though I was letting down inspector Erskine himself...good old dad...

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The latest DVD I bought from them was The Kwicky Koala Show (1981). I had to have that one knowing it was Tex Avery's last cartoon series to date.

I am still waiting patiently on The New Fred and Barney Show (1979), and when it is out I will definitely buy that one! That one marked the first screen credit for Scott Shaw, who would contribute to other Hanna-Barbera series afterward as Casper and the Angels (1979), Richie Rich (1980-83) and The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC, 1980-81).

~Ben

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just a couple:

Maverick - all purchased early enough to get pressed.
The Herculoids - Love the show and jumped on it when Amazon had it on sale for ~$15 - in spite of it being MOD only.

There are others I'd purchase if they'd only offer them pressed... or at more "reasonable" prices. IMHO they are priced quite high, even when on sale.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Updating my list:

Alice: seasons 1-8
Flo: complete series
Family Matters: seasons 5-9
Perfect Strangers: seasons 3-6
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper: season 1
Step by Step: seasons 1-3

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I'm sure I have other WB archive titles in my collection, but the first one that comes to mind is The Adventures Of Superman.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
34 titles from Warner Archive:

The Sea Hawk
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
Meet Me In St Louis
Bad Day At Black Rock
To Have and Have Not
The Big Sleep
Dark Passage
Key Largo
Gun Crazy
The Hudsucker Proxy
Cabaret
Big Wednesday
Suspicion
While The City Sleeps
Murder, My Sweet
Body Snatchers
Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan
S.O.B.
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
Performance
Out Of The Past
Fearless
Father Of The Bride
Michael Collins
42nd Street
The Wind and The Lion
Victor/Victoria
Wait Until Dark
Batman - Mask Of The Phantasm
Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil
A Mighty Wind
Ride The High Country
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
The World According To Garp

Reactions: PMF

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Ben:

I hope they are. I've been meaning to pick up this release for a while. If you don't mind confirming if it's pressed when they arrive, I would be much obliged.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Not too many, mainly due to their high cost.

What I currently own:

Tarzan (Ron Ely series)
Harry-O, Season 1
Bronco, S1
Sugarfoot, S1
Lawman, S1
The Lieutenant, vol. 1
The Dakotas

Updating to add the following to the above list:

Bronco
, S2
A Man Called Shenandoah

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My interests centre around the coming of sound and early musicals, so I purchased:
All the Al Jolson movies
The Vitaphone Shorts collections
Wheeler and Wolsey movies
Eddie Cantor collection
Any other coming of sound feature like “On With The Show” etc.

Reactions: PMF

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Not too many, mainly due to their high cost.

What I currently own:

Tarzan (Ron Ely series)
Harry-O, Season 1
Bronco, S1
Sugarfoot, S1
Lawman, S1
The Lieutenant, vol. 1
The Dakotas
Resurrecting this old thread more than three years later to update my list of Warner Archive classic TV titles already owned or planned to purchase soon:

Currently owned on DVD:
Mr. Novak, S1
Tarzan (Ron Ely series) Seasons 1 & 2
Harry-O, S1 & 2
Bronco, S1-4
Sugarfoot, S1-4
Lawman, S1 & 2
The Lieutenant
The Dakotas
Cheyenne
, S2 - 5, S1 through WHE)
Maverick, S3 & 5 (S1 & 2 through WHE)
A Man Called Shenandoah
The F.B.I.
, S1, Part 1
Search
Spenser for Hire,
S1
Hawkins
The Jimmy Stewart Show
Hank
Jericho
Hondo
The Man from Atlantis
(TV movie collection)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. 8-movie collection

And on Blu-Ray:
Jonny Quest
The Jetsons

On the "to buy soon" list:
Lawman, S3 & 4
Spenser for Hire, S2 & 3
Maverick, S5
Cheyenne, S6 & 7

Maybes:
Maya
Daktari
, S1
Dr. Kildare, S1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks