What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Million Dollar Mermaid (1952) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Re JUPITER'S DARLING, even Esther Williams herself thought it was terrible. She is quoted as saying, "If this had been my first picture there wouldn't have been a second!"

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It bombed even at Radio City where she was a favorite.

What Garson film is coming out? The Technicolor Blossoms in the Dust or my favorite Random Harvest? Garson is a personal favorite. Unfortunately she gets a bad rap today as too affected. Even her obituary in the Times was condescending.
Mrs Miniver is as good as they say it is.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
It bombed even at Radio City where she was a favorite.

What Garson film is coming out? The Technicolor Blossoms in the Dust or my favorite Random Harvest? Garson is a personal favorite. Unfortunately she gets a bad rap today as too affected. Even her obituary in the Times was condescending.
Mrs Miniver is as good as they say it is.

Not a fan of Greer and love Million Dollar Mermaid as did Esther who’s autobiography bore the same title.
To each his own- that’s my philosophy.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I am a big fan of Greer Garson, who exudes the kind of class the world is sorely in need of today. RANDOM HARVEST is one of my all-time favorite films. I also think MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID is one of Esther Williams' best pictures.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Yes it was a huge hit and I know that it is her most popular film. I don't get it but millions do. I must say I found the ending terrifying and upsetting. Something I can say about no other big colorful MGM film.
No love for the Pirate? People to this day do not like it and I don't get THAT. I think it's a wonderful film though except for Be a Clown this isn't Porter at his best.

My personal Esther fav is still her first aquacade, Bathing Beauty, with its spectacular finale, its interludes from Harry James and Xavier Cugat, Basli Rathone being caddish, and the flying fingers of organist, Ethel Smith. Oh, did I mention Carlos Ramirez looking as dashing as ever, and singing like an angel? Red Skelton's tutu ballet practice with Madame Zarka - always good for a chuckle. Still, I'll take Million Dollar Mermaid on Blu, as I only think 3 of Esther's musicals are truly worthy of the upgrade - Million, Bathing, and Easy to Love.

PS - I have a lot of love for The Pirate, but think Be A Clown - as danced by Gene and the Nicholas Brothers is one of the greatest acrobatic dance routines ever put on film. Love Garland's rendition of Mack The Black, and Kelly's cooing of Nina too. Too many great MGM musicals still MIA on Blu - Royal Wedding, Holiday in Mexico, Small Town Girl, Show Boat, For Me and My Gal, Good News, The Harvey Girls, The Great Ziegfeld, Ziegfeld Girl, Cabin in the Sky, Rosalie, Maytime, The Student Prince...and on and on.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Not a fan of Greer and love Million Dollar Mermaid as did Esther who’s autobiography bore the same title.
To each his own- that’s my philosophy.

A fan of both and wish there was more Greer to go around on Blu - especially, The Valley of Decision, and Mrs. Parkington.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks