What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Athena (1954) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2021-04-05_19-00-29.jpg

ATHENA (1954) NEW 2021 1080p HD Remaster!
Run Time 96:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs STEREO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 Widescreen, 1.75:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
SPECIAL FEATURES: 3 Outtake Musical Numbers: “Competition Dance,” “Imagine (Second Reprise)” with Vic Damone and Debbie Reynolds and “Love Can Change the Stars (Duet Reprise)” with Jane Powell and Edmund Purdum ; Theatrical Trailer
If a suitor wants to win the heart of one of the seven Mulvain sisters, he’d better be ready to dead lift 300 lbs. and dine on shredded-parsnip soufflé. Combining the then-novel topic of physical fitness with Hollywood song and dance, Athena is an eat-your-veggies romantic romp highlighted by catchy Hugh Martin/Ralph Blane tunes and socko color cinematography. Jane Powell (fresh off her triumph in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) and Debbie Reynolds play two of the sisters, and Edmund Purdom and Vic Damone play their smoking, boozing, nonvegetarian beaux. Former Mr. Universe Steve Reeves flexes his pecs in a supporting role, displaying a physique so phenomenal it soon vaulted him to screen stardom as the mighty Hercules. 16X9 Widescreen

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I wonder if Warner is understating the source of this scan. The graininess is low, it's crisp and the color shows no fade in this clip (perhaps a tinge of pink towards some corners?) ......was it sourced from the original Eastman negative with a boost from the Technicolor separations? Compare this to Warner's The Tender Trap clip (4k scan from negative) where there's maybe a touch of fading.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I wish Athena had better songs.
When you have Vic Damone's voice at your disposal, it makes sense to give him high quality songs. I'm a fan and have several of his albums. I will definitely buy this disc.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
About twenty years ago, I was working for a luxury retail brand and our host store was having an event for one charity or another. An attractive, older gentleman strolled over to our department, we chatted for a while, he decided to make a purchase. I took it to the back to wrap it and thought to myself that he would be a perfect match for a co-worker who was recently widowed. The gentleman was fit, handsome, and had lovely personality. I came back out, he handed his credit card to me, it was then I realized he was Vic Damone. Needless to say, the married Vic Damone wasn’t available for my co-worker (glad I realized who he was before I made a fool of myself) but he left a lasting impression on me- every bit a gentleman.

Nothing to add here for Athena, other than that I’ll be ordering.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I'm a big fan of this film and am really curious to see how the scan will look on blu ray. The print shown on TCM has significant fading, with a lot scenes tending toward a reddish/purplish hue.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'm a big fan of this film and am really curious to see how the scan will look on blu ray. The print shown on TCM has significant fading, with a lot scenes tending toward a reddish/purplish hue.
Warner Archive's opening clip above and this one look excellent. No problems with color fade.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
View attachment 94110

ATHENA (1954) NEW 2021 1080p HD Remaster!
Run Time 96:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs STEREO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 Widescreen, 1.75:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
SPECIAL FEATURES: 3 Outtake Musical Numbers: “Competition Dance,” “Imagine (Second Reprise)” with Vic Damone and Debbie Reynolds and “Love Can Change the Stars (Duet Reprise)” with Jane Powell and Edmund Purdum ; Theatrical Trailer
If a suitor wants to win the heart of one of the seven Mulvain sisters, he’d better be ready to dead lift 300 lbs. and dine on shredded-parsnip soufflé. Combining the then-novel topic of physical fitness with Hollywood song and dance, Athena is an eat-your-veggies romantic romp highlighted by catchy Hugh Martin/Ralph Blane tunes and socko color cinematography. Jane Powell (fresh off her triumph in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) and Debbie Reynolds play two of the sisters, and Edmund Purdom and Vic Damone play their smoking, boozing, nonvegetarian beaux. Former Mr. Universe Steve Reeves flexes his pecs in a supporting role, displaying a physique so phenomenal it soon vaulted him to screen stardom as the mighty Hercules. 16X9 Widescreen
Why? There are so many great MGM musicals "in storage" - this was a flop; studio bound and limited in scope, entertainment and......another very disappointing decision from WB.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Why? There are so many great MGM musicals "in storage" - this was a flop; studio bound and limited in scope, entertainment and......another very disappointing decision from WB.
I suspect it required minimal remastering to make it ready for Blu-ray. It was probably expedient for Warners to release this while it worked on other, more problematic pictures.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The IMDB also lists this with a running time of 119 minutes. I wonder if that was for previews and then later reduced to 96 minutes when actually released.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I enjoy this little musical and will buy it to support the Archive, so, hopefully, the titles I want more will be released on Blu-ray in the future. I won't bore everyone with a list.

Athena has an interesting backstory. Esther Williams and director Charles Walters developed the concept and this was to be their next film following Easy to Love, but Dore Schary had other ideas.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I tried watching this on DVD but had to turn it off after 20 minutes. I have a taste for old fashioned banal MGM entertainments but this movie was beyond all endurance. We have had many mentions of old MGM movies we wanted released and no one has ever mentioned Athena. If somebody had I would have remembered. It's that bad.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I tried watching this on DVD but had to turn it off after 20 minutes. I have a taste for old fashioned banal MGM entertainments but this movie was beyond all endurance. We have had many mentions of old MGM movies we wanted released and no one has ever mentioned Athena. If somebody had I would have remembered. It's that bad.
Well, some of us are looking forward to it. Not a first tier MGM musical but any movie with Debbie Reynolds, Jane Powell and Steve Reeves is a must have for me! I find the 1954 eye on the health craze and bodybuilding amusing enough.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
'I find the 1954 eye on the health craze and bodybuilding amusing enough.'

I found that timely from the 70s till today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks