What's new

Warner Archive: Popeye the Sailor (1940s) First Volume on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I'm super excited about this coming out. However I completely disagree with the studio's perspective per Jerry Beck. Properly managing assets, profit or not, is their responsibility. It's no different than keeping the soundstages in working order. It's they who should consider themselves lucky Porky didn't incur a loss.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I'm not sure what they were expecting Porky 101 to do and why. It was an almost $60 dollar, DVD only set of black-and-white cartoons, dumped out with no promotion. It was too expensive for casual buyers, collectors prefer Blu-Ray, and cartoon diehards were upset about the QC problems.It gives the impression that animation is held to impossible standards live-action movies aren't.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing more buzz for Popeye than I did for Porky, and the better presentation has been noted.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The Blu-ray is now available to pre-order from Amazon.com however it seems that orders via WB Shop might be preferable. This is a comment from Jerry Beck (available here) in reply to the question of whether it would be better to order from Warner Archive / WB Shop:

Jerry Beck said:
Yes, it’s preferable (for the cause) to order through Warner Archive (through WBshop.com). In fact, I’m not sure it will be available via Amazon at first.

This comment was made on the 20th, and obviously, Jerry was largely incorrect about the disc not being available from Amazon. However, this disc could be a special case, so perhaps it would be better to skip Amazon and go to WB Shop in this instance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLPTWGC

https://www.wbshop.com/products/popeye-the-sailor-the-1940s-volume-1-bd (copy and paste the link if it does not work)

Both stores currently have the disc priced at $21.99.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
While the Fleischer era is the gold standard for me when it comes to Popeye, I do look forward to finally seeing more Popeye disc releases. Too bad this is only a single disc.

I started to write a paragraph in response to Beck's off-putting "It’s seriously up to you" rant directed at people who are likely already planning to purchase the product. But Matt and Ken have already made good points about it in their posts. I will say that going forward I could live with fewer Beck commentaries, especially if it lowers the price of a disc by even a few nickels. So I won't be disappointed by the lack of his commentary on this release.

Hopefully any future volumes will have more than a single disc. Also, I hope this ultimately paves the way to finally getting Volume 2 of the 60s Popeye TV shorts.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
The Blu-ray is now available to pre-order from Amazon.com however it seems that orders via WB Shop might be preferable. This is a comment from Jerry Beck (available here) in reply to the question of whether it would be better to order from Warner Archive / WB Shop:

This comment was made on the 20th, and obviously, Jerry was largely incorrect about the disc not being available from Amazon. However, this disc could be a special case, so perhaps it would be better to skip Amazon and go to WB Shop in this instance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLPTWGC

https://www.wbshop.com/products/popeye-the-sailor-the-1940s-volume-1-bd (copy and paste the link if it does not work)

Both stores currently have the disc priced at $21.99.

I checked Amazon before ordering from WB. At the time Amazon was not listing the disc. WB has an additional $5.49 shipping charge, while Amazon does not (for Prime members).

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
While the Fleischer era is the gold standard for me when it comes to Popeye, I do look forward to finally seeing more Popeye disc releases. Too bad this is only a single disc.

I started to write a paragraph in response to Beck's off-putting "It’s seriously up to you" rant directed at people who are likely already planning to purchase the product. But Matt and Ken have already made good points about it in their posts. I will say that going forward I could live with fewer Beck commentaries, especially if it lowers the price of a disc by even a few nickels. So I won't be disappointed by the lack of his commentary on this release.

Hopefully any future volumes will have more than a single disc. Also, I hope this ultimately paves the way to finally getting Volume 2 of the 60s Popeye TV shorts.

The thing is, ALL classic material on Blu-Ray is in a precarious position, dependent on sales of what gets put out. It's not unique to cartoons. On this very forum, you have people buying The Sea Hawk and hoping it sells well enough to encourage the release of other movies starring Errol Flynn and other leading men.

Popeye selling well will not only help the release of more classic cartoons, but really anything vintage that's not in a surefire selling genre like horror.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm not sure what they were expecting Porky 101 to do and why. It was an almost $60 dollar, DVD only set of black-and-white cartoons, dumped out with no promotion. It was too expensive for casual buyers, collectors prefer Blu-Ray, and cartoon diehards were upset about the QC problems.It gives the impression that animation is held to impossible standards live-action movies aren't.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing more buzz for Popeye than I did for Porky, and the better presentation has been noted.
It doesn't help that the B&W Porkys range from "That's rough but still a classic" to "oh dear god this is awful" like the bulk of pre-1944 Warner Bros. shorts (and virtually the entirety of pre-Wild Hare ones).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question...

Are these the shorts that were shown on local TV during the 70s or was the bulk of those cartoons from a later decade?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The second year covered by this collection, 1944, was also the first year the opening title theme - the one we were used to hearing under the a.a.p. Popeye title (as used on the color shorts reissued in 1956) on TV for years - was used under the opening Paramount logo (the same went for the closing theme).

The exact cartoon that was the first to use the version of the theme was "We're On Our Way to Rio."

~Ben

Last edited:

ThadK

Second Unit
Actually, the opening music for "Rio" was completely unique to that cartoon. Same case with "Tops in the Big Tops".

It doesn't help that the B&W Porkys range from "That's rough but still a classic" to "oh dear god this is awful" like the bulk of pre-1944 Warner Bros. shorts (and virtually the entirety of pre-Wild Hare ones).

Wow, that's a sizable chunk of classic animation, and much of the work of Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, and Frank Tashlin, being dismissed. I dearly love the Porkys, which is why it was tragic that release's quality control ranged from "well, that's unfortunate but to be expected" to "they're either smoking crack or hate these films." Fortunately, that level of indifference/contempt seems to be a one-off misfortune.

Last edited:

ThadK

Second Unit
Question...

Are these the shorts that were shown on local TV during the 70s or was the bulk of those cartoons from a later decade?

The Famous cartoons were from 1942-57 and were indeed syndicated and ran constantly on TV (in compromised shape, alas). This is the first two color years, and far and away the best. The Popeye cartoons through 1947 are mostly great, and the ones through 1950 mostly good. They get increasingly taxing after.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Weirdly, Lone Stranger and Porky was included with it's correct soundtrack, albeit computer colorized, as a bonus as some live-action DVD. They had access to a DVD-ready copy of the correct audio, but to quote Mystery Science Theater 3000: "They just didn't care."

I'd like to see the B/W Porky's revisited. This Popeye disc could be a good template: mix 'em up with on single-disc sets with new-to-video/hiterherto unrestored Bugs, Daffy, Tweety, Road Runner and Foghorn Leghorn shorts.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

I didn't see that as a rant. That's just how it is.

Personally I enjoyed many of the commentaries on previous releases, Beck's included. I felt it was added value, put things in context, and I don't believe it was responsible for inflated prices.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
This really is something I'd love to buy... but first, I will have to change out to a DVD/Blu-Ray combo player.

And I do agree that Warner Archive should revisit the Looney Tunes library (for release on Blu-Ray or otherwise), despite the shortcomings of the Porky Pig 101 set. For example, they should put out that aborted Egghead/Elmer Fudd set (Eternally Eggheaded), which was to contain these 15 shorts:
1. Egghead Rides Again
2. Daffy Duck and Egghead (with restored original end title music)
3. The Isle of Pingo Pongo
4. Cinderella Meets Fella (brief scene in Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 5 featurette, but missed the cut as being one of the 15 cartoons for disc 2 in that set)
5. A-Lad-In Bagdad
6. A Feud There Was
7. Johnny Smith and Poker-Huntas
8. Count Me Out
9. Hamateur Night
10. A Day at the Zoo
11. Believe It Or Else
12. Confederate Honey
13. The Hardship of Miles Standish
14. Good Night, Elmer
15. Elmer's Pet Rabbit
(if The Isle of Pingo Pongo can't be included, then as fallback, they should include Little Red Walking Hood or Hare-um Scare-um)

~Ben

Last edited:

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have ordered this set from DD at their Black Friday 15% off sale. It was not listed there a couple of days ago. However, the Mickey Mouse 90th Blu Ray was not listed and seemed to be a half price Prime deal at Amazon. I had been wondering when Disney might issue Blu Rays of those Mickey Mouse Laserdiscs sets. I have Set 1 of those.

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
i also glad to see Porky 101 DVD set, but when I started to view this I noticed very many mistakes which they havent restored and havent fixed, so I dont see any point to buy the produc which is decided to be released with such a huge bad things. WB could do best, but they didnt.. I still dont know why(((

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I for one loved the Porky set. I am also happy I am not expert enough in these things to be bothered by the problems sited here. Again, instead of watching the content, people are watching the celluloid.

ThadK

Second Unit
The soundtrack is part of the content. I'm glad people still liked that set, but I'm gladder if the studio ultimately cares more about an accurate presentation, which is ostensibly the case with Popeye.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks