What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Cimarron (1931) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
b24h7Rc.jpg

New 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best preservation elements. Coming to Blu-ray July 31st!
CIMARRON (1931)
Run Time: 121 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0 Mono
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.20:1 with side mattes
Product color: B&W
DIsc Configuration-BD 50

Special features:
LADY, PLAY YOUR MANDOLIN (1931 WB Cartoon), RED-HEADED BABY (1931 WB Cartoon); THE DEVIL'S CABARET (1931 MGM Short)
Cast: Richard Dix, Irene Dunne, Dixie Lee

This Academy Award®-winning adaptation of Edna Ferber's novel traces the lives of two people who are in love with each other--but in love with life even more--as they struggle to bring civilization to the Western frontier in Cimarron! 1898. The Oklahoma Land Rush. As thousands of would-be settlers race across a barren desert to be the first to stake their claim to a plot of land, Yancey Cravat (Richard Dix) is cheated out of his property by Dixie Lee (Estelle Taylor). Without the farm they had hoped to start, Yancey and his wife, Sabra (Irene Dunne), take over the local newspaper after the editor is assassinated. But as the newspaper helps bring order to a lawless land, Yancey feels the wanderlust to find new frontiers and new adventures, and Sabra stays to build a publishing empire. Always in love, frequently apart and destined for greatness, Yancey and Sabra lead lives as tempestuous as the land they have chosen for their home in this epic Western classic.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm not personally very familiar with the film (beyond hearing criticism of its problems with racial caricatures), but isn't this one of those Best Picture winners that has never had a satisfying home video release?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not personally very familiar with the film (beyond hearing criticism of its problems with racial caricatures), but isn't this one of those Best Picture winners that has never had a satisfying home video release?
It's a 1931 movie that home video hasn't been kind to.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Warner FB announcement has the wrong release date. July 31st is a Monday. I believe August 1st will be the correct date.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I remember liking this film, even if it was a bit creaky. A fresh remaster should make it a lot more enjoyable.

Though, I picked up the DVD primarily for the short film The Devil's Cabaret, which I hope is from a new transfer as well. It's a crazy short that's worth seeing.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I remember liking this film, even if it was a bit creaky. A fresh remaster should make it a lot more enjoyable.

Though, I picked up the DVD primarily for the short film The Devil's Cabaret, which I hope is from a new transfer as well. It's a crazy short that's worth seeing.

How would you say it fares compared to the Anthony Mann remake (which is my only real familiarity to this story as I’ve yet to see this version)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How would you say it fares compared to the Anthony Mann remake (which is my only real familiarity to this story as I’ve yet to see this version)?
For me, it's hard to say as there are parts of both films I really like and some parts I don't like very much. The Mann film is almost 30 minutes longer, but I don't like Maria Schell as much as Irene Dunne. I'm a Glenn Ford fan so I'll take him over Richard Dix.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The original had a very bad transfer on DVD. It should look much better on Blu. The screenplay is cringey for its negative racial
Stereotypes and other politically incorrectness.

Aside from the land grab at the beginning, which I think was what won this the BP award, I find the film dull.

I haven’t seen the 60’s one, so I can’t compare.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I prefer it to the remake. It's quite faithful to the book, and keep in mind that the author, Edna Ferber, was very liberal and an ardent feminist. She told it as it was, as she did in Show Boat and Giant. Dix and Dunne were nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress Oscars. The 1889 land rush is spectacular.
Ford is a very good actor but far too old for the part, and the ending is false and rushed.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I listened to the podcast today, and George said the new transfer is jaw-dropping. Same with Broadway.

He also said there wasn’t much for bonus material to put on the disc; it’s a shame they could get THE RKO STORY, or, at least, the clip talking about CIMARRON. :/

Very excited for this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks