What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (23 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The release date is June 27th. for these 6 titles so I doubt there are going to be any more June releases. Furthermore, I bet George and Tim aren't happy that MovieZyng jumped the gun with their preorder links.

No, I bet they are not.

Still not certain if the Podcast is the manner in which George plans to announce future releases moving forward.

Respectfully, I will continue to hope that these announcements are better scheduled and announced with full specs on their Facebook page rather than having them learned through product leaks.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The release date is June 27th. for these 6 titles so I doubt there are going to be any more June releases. Furthermore, I bet George and Tim aren't happy that MovieZyng jumped the gun with their preorder links.
Yeah, but I expected an announcement either Friday or Monday, so it's only a couple of days early & reaction to all the films has been very enthusiastic.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Still not certain if the Podcast is the manner in which George plans to announce future releases moving forward.

Respectfully, I will continue to hope that these announcements are better scheduled and announced with full specs on their Facebook page rather than having them learned through product leaks.

It would still piss me off if I'm one of those guys.

for those of US old enough to remember, i sort of treated the podcast announcements like the old WB HTF Chats, yea a press release is great, but when GF talks about it you hear the passion at what they are doing, small insights. Don't steal the mans thunder, because there is always more to say than sometimes gets said!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
for those of US old enough to remember, i sort of treated the podcast announcements like the old WB HTF Chats, yea a press release is great, but when GF talks about it you hear the passion at what they are doing, small insights. Don't steal the mans thunder, because there is always more to say than sometimes gets said!

I agree 100%

However, here is the ultimate problem (at least for some but not all of us)...

I love listening to the Podcast. I do so in my own time, mostly when in my vehicle on a long trip.

Using the Podcast for announcements forces people to have to listen to it on Warner's time. Not only that, it's not like the titles are given to you at the immediate start. You have to scan through the entire Podcast to find the points at which George announces the title.

It's not the most convenient method of getting the announcements out.

On the other hand, if that's how George wants to make these announcements, then so be it. I don't want to come off as a complainer. I think I am more affected because I'm trying to compile announcements as soon as they are released to the wild.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
For what it's worth, all of these titles have been announced on the Warner Archive Collection's official Facebook page. I don't know whether that was in response to MovieZyng jumping the gun with their preorder links or not. Regardless, another stellar month of releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For what it's worth, all of these titles have been announced on the Warner Archive Collection's official Facebook page. I don't know whether that was in response to MovieZyng jumping the gun with their preorder links or not. Regardless, another stellar month of releases.

Yeah, they just posted the information within the past hour post the leaks. I am going to update the announcements with the specs. Thanks for the heads up, Joel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1683745256732.png

Coming to Blu-ray from Warner Archive June 27th.

NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best preservation elements!

ANGEL FACE (1953)

Run Time 92:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Eddie Muller; Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Mona Freeman, Herbert Marshall.
Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons star in this film noir thriller about a man trapped in the web of an alluring, deadly, remorseless woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants and who conceals the evil within behind her beautiful Angel Face. Heiress Diane Tremayne (Simmons) arranges for an ambulance driver to whom she's attracted, Frank Jessup (Mitchum), to be hired as her family's chauffeur. And Diane lures Frank away from his girlfriend even as she becomes increasingly jealous of her stepmother. When Diane's parents die in an automobile accident--and the police find evidence of tampering to the car--Diane and Frank are arrested as prime suspects. After Diane convinces Frank to marry her in jail, the two are both acquitted of murder. Now, as Diane realizes that she may have been able to seduce Frank but cannot make him truly love her, she decides she would rather kill again than lose him...

1683745314776.png

NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Nitrate Camera Negative!

CAGED (1950)

Run Time 96:00
Subtitles English SDH
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Screen Director's Playhouse Radio broadcast 8/2/51; Classic Warner Bros. cartoon BIG HOUSE BUNNY; Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Eleanor Parker, Agnes Moorehead, Hope Emerson, Ellen Corby
Eleanor Parker delivers an Oscar®-nominated performance as a girl swept into a petty crime--and a life behind bars--in this dramatic and realistic look at the effect that life inside prison has on a young woman. Marie Allen (Parker) becomes hardened by life inside a corrupt and dehumanizing penitentiary ... until she reaches the point that she will do anything to survive the place and the life inside which she is Caged!

1683745395654.png

NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Nitrate Camera Negative!

THE DAMNED DON’T CRY (1950)

Run Time 103:00
Subtitles English SDH
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Director Vincent Sherman; Featurette: The Crawford Formula: Real and Reel; Screen Director's Playhouse radio broadcast 4/5/1951; Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Joan Crawford, David Brian, Steve Cochran, Kent Smith
Oscar®-winner Joan Crawford stars as a woman who uses and abandons men--clawing her way from poverty to wealth and social status--a woman who knows that The Damned Don't Cry! Crawford gives one of her best performances as Ethel Whitehead, an empowered woman who leaves her laborer husband and squalid factory town behind to find a new, better life. She uses a quiet accountant who adores her to meet a rich gangster, learns to carry herself as a socialite and leads a life of wealth and luxury as the kept woman of the mobster. But her ambition doesn't stop there, and she engineers a rivalry between the city's two leading underworld kingpins--a rivalry that will lead to the ruin of everything she has fought to gain.

1683745470641.png

NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Technicolor® Camera Negatives!

DANGEROUS WHEN WET (1953)

Run Time 96:00
Subtitles English SDH
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: "C'est La Guerre "-Unused musical outtake with Darcel and Lamas; Classic Tom & Jerry cartoon "THE CAT AND THE MERMOUSE" (HD); Classic Pete Smith Specialty short "THIS IS A LIVING?"; Audio-only demo recordings by Lyricist Johnny Mercer; Audio-only interview with Esther Williams and Dick Simmons; Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Esther Williams, Fernando Lamas, Jack Carson, Charlotte Greenwood, Denise Darcel.
Esther Williams and Fernando Lamas star in this musical, romantic aquacade -- Williams as a girl from Arkansas who has vowed to swim the English Channel to raise the money to save her family farm; and Lamas as the rich man who wins her heart and almost blocks her from reaching her goal . . . but who comes to realize that the woman of his dreams is Dangerous When Wet. Featuring a delightful original music score written by Johnny Mercer and Arthur Schwartz, the film is best remembered for Esther's famous swim with M-G-M's beloved animated characters Tom & Jerry.

1683745003989.png

NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Camera Negative!

LAND OF THE PHARAOHS (1955)

Run Time 106:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - Stereo
Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.55 Letterbox
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Film Historian/Director Peter Bogdanovich (with archival interview comments by Howard Hawks); Classic Warner Bros. Cartoon SAHARA HARE (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Jack Hawkins, Joan Collins, Dewey Martin
Director Howard Hawks, who worked brilliantly in virtually every genre, shows his mastery of the large-scale epic with this gigantic production filmed on location in Egypt. Thousands of extras (9,787 in one scene alone!), magnificently detailed sets (including the pyramid's inner labyrinth, booby-trapped so no one can learn its secrets and live) and vast desert vistas fill the screen and astonish the eye. There are also human-scaled stories. Of the Pharaoh (Jack Hawkins) who orders the pyramid as his tomb, dooming untold numbers to unending toil. Of the architect (James Robertson Justice) designing it to earn his people's freedom. Of the slaves constructing it of blood and sinew. And a beautiful queen (Joan Collins) whose greed leads to murder- and a stunning revenge!

1683745056876.png

NEW 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Camera Negative!

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA (1958)

Run Time 87:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 MONO
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.85:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Behind the scenes featurette: "Hemingway: The Legend and the Sea"; Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Spencer Tracy, Felipe Pazos, Harry Bellaver
Ernest Hemingway's choice for the lead in the film version of his "The Old Man and the Sea" was the right one: Spencer Tracy's performance brought him the sixth of his nine Academy Award® nominations, and the film won the National Board of Review's 1958 Best Picture and Best Actor awards. Alone in a small skiff, an aging Cuban fisherman catches a huge marlin - and must defy the sea, marauding sharks, and his own flagging strength to bring his great catch home. Beautifully filmed in part on sun-drenched Cuban locales by master director John Sturges, and graced by Dimitri Tiomkin's Oscar® winning score, "The Old Man and the Sea" is a colorful cinematic ode to the indomitability of the human spirit.

Attachments

• 1683745193454.png
    1683745193454.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1683745147544.png
    1683745147544.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1683745104121.png
    1683745104121.png
    417.3 KB · Views: 8

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am curious regarding the spec:
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes.

Has this been common practice for all or many of WAC's 1.33:1 releases over the years? It would help explain the amazing picture quality they achieve.

I wonder if other studios such as KL also apply this process.

Anyone?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Has this been common practice for all or many of WAC's 1.33:1 releases over the years? It would help explain the amazing picture quality they achieve.

Anyone?
From what I'm to understand, and I very well could be wrong, this recombine process (when working with the 3 strip Technicolor elements) is the new "secret sauce" exclusive to WAC. But has nothing to do with AR.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

Anyone?

I think that simply refers to the black bars on the sides of the picture to preserve a 1.33:1 film’s original aspect ratio and doesn’t really affect the picture quality.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Anyone?

HD signals are formatted for 16x9 regardless of the actual content contained within.

This is simply a technical explanation that while the aspect ratio of the film is 1.37:1, the actual signal being sent from the disc player to the TV is 16x9. That is true of every single Blu-ray disc - the specification only provides for 16x9. So if you were to watch a 2.40:1 movie, that would actually be letterboxed within a 16x9 frame as well. The black bars on top and bottom for 2.40:1, or on the sides for 1.37:1, are encoded as part of the image itself rather than being added by the player or television.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ive had The Damned Don't Cry on DVD for as long as I can remember and cant wait to upgrade it. Angel Face I also have the WAC DVDr of it, which will now bite the dust and be part of my next Amoeba Records trade in stack. I think I will also wind up getting Land of the Pharaohs. I have never seen Caged but it sounds interesting. Im not really sure about The Old Man and The Sea, or Dangerous When Wet, as I haven't heard of them one either, I might need to stream first to see if I like them :)
Overall since it replaces 2 of my DVDs , Id call this a very strong month!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks