What's new

Wanted On DVD (Or VHS) -- All 64 JFK Presidential Press Conferences (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'd very much like to obtain (on VHS, CD, or, better yet, on DVD-Video) all 64 of JFK's televised press conferences that he gave during his 1,037 days in office.

I realize the chances of getting even a handful of the complete conferences is quite minimal at best.

I have the E.G. Marshall-hosted program, "Thank You, Mr. President" (produced in 1983), which contains 45 minutes of very grainy footage from a number of JFK's entertaining press gaggles. But that video only makes a JFK fan crave more.

I know that all of the conferences DO exist (somewhere)...at least as of 1983 at any rate. Because E.G. Marshall says during that aforementioned video that the producers of the program had "gone through all the conferences", and then culled the best clips.

A "dream" DVD set for this material would be an 8-Disc collection with every conference remastered and restored digitally. That'd be special. :)

The JFK Library website does contain transcripts of every conference...which is great. But having the video to go with the written words would be ideal from an historical standpoint.

All of the transcripts can be found at the link below. These are absolutely fascinating to read! It's like jumping into a Time Machine marked "1961-1963". .......

Press Conferences of President Kennedy - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've started saving my nickels for this JFK-related "I Wish It Were So" Super Mega Set. By the time it's released on the 100th Anniversary of the JFK assassination, in November 2063, I might have saved up enough greenery to afford it. :) .............

---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------

"The Assassination Of John F. Kennedy: As-It-Happened"

Complete 91-Disc Set featuring all 165 hours of original TV coverage from all three major networks, covering the events of November 22 to November 25, 1963.

Restored & Remastered Video from the original network master tapes.

This Unparalleled Mega-Set Includes These Deluxe Bonus Features (on 9 extra discs):

>> CBS' "As The World Turns" soap opera in its entirety, including original commercials, as it aired on Friday, November 22, 1963 @ 1:30 PM (ET).

>> Three New 2063 100th-Anniversary Documentaries, examining the events surrounding the assassination, including many computer animations recreating the assassination. Hosts include: Tom Brokaw IV, Peter Jennings VI, and Walter Cronkite (who turned 147 on Nov. 4, 2063; and he's still going strong!).

>> "Virtual 3-D Tour Of Dealey Plaza", with multi-angle capability.

>> "The History Of The Texas School Book Depository" featurette, exploring the famous warehouse, inside & out, including current footage of "The Sixth Floor Museum".

>> Complete list of all Dealey Plaza witnesses, including mini-bios and a 3-D "Where They Were On Nov. 22" interactive map.

>> "Where Were You?" featurette, featuring interviews (new and archived) with many politicians, celebrities, and just plain ol' folk, as they discuss the assassination and reveal where they were when they first heard the shocking news from Dallas. Participants include: Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, Bob Hope, Judy Garland, James Stewart, Frank Sinatra, plus many others.

>> "The Secret Service: What We've Learned Since 11/22/63" 48-minute original featurette.

>> "Exploring The Conspiracy Theories" documentary featurette.

>> "The Films Of November 22" -- Featurette exploring the many amateur films that were taken at the time of the JFK assassination.

>> "The Dallas Police Department: Then And Now" featurette.

>> "Air Force One: Kennedy's White House In The Sky" -- 39-minute documentary program delving into the history of SAM 2-6000, JFK's official aircraft during his last year in office. Historic, rare photographs of the aircraft on the ground and in-flight are included.

>> Multi-page text biographies for: John F. Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis, Robert F. Kennedy, and Lyndon B. Johnson.

>> Photo Galleries, including more than 500 photographs associated with the assassination (all re-mastered for HD clarity).

>> 42-page companion book, with information on the events of November 1963 and the restoration of the wealth of video material compiled for this massive DVD Collection.

>> Deluxe Leather Slipcase Packaging.

>> Individual Keepcases for each of the 91 discs in the set; with extensive liner notes for each disc.

>> Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 (Full Frame) -- Applies to material originally broadcast in 1963.

>> Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (Anamorphic) -- Applies to all-new featurettes/documentaries.

>> Interactive Menus, with detailed sub-menus on every disc.

>> Scene Selections.

>> English Subtitles.

>> Additional Bonuses: 3 Rare and Collectible JFK 1960 Campaign Posters and Brochures (limited to first 1,000 copies sold).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
>> In addition ------ Featurette with Bill Clinton, as he discusses his real-life encounter with the 35th U.S. President. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nice idea, David. I was thinking this same thing just two weeks ago -- that it would be nice to have a collected video records of this man's presidential press conferences. The way the 35th president absolutely conquered the news media with his charm and articulateness and command of the facts and issues truly is amazing. No president before or since has demonstrated such mastery of the television medium.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I'm a huge Kennedy buff and student. I would love all of those press conferences and as many speeches as can be gathered on DVD as well. I have to disagree with you, Jack, in that I would have to say Ronald Reagan, was an absolute master of the television medium as well.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Well, I can see owning these as far as the historical value goes. But I think I'd have to be in one of my 'Weather Channel' moods to actually watch them.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Oh, my.
I couldn't disagree with more vehemence here.

I'd highly enjoy seeing JFK tackle the press and the issues of 1961-1963 (just when I was popping out of the womb in late '61 -- although I'm slightly irked that my arrival didn't evoke at least a brief announcement to the press by JFK :)).

Especially interesting and funny is when JFK takes his one question per conference from a "Mrs. Craig", who nearly always asked a rather inane, irrelevent, non-serious question...such as .......

"Mr. President ....Would you see what you can do about this new Highway project that is being proposed for the west side. Can't it be put further south??"

President Kennedy -- "Yes..yes, Mrs. Craig...I'll certainly see what I can do for you."

The 400 People In Attendance @ Conference -- " :laugh: :laugh: "

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
Being a news buff I have a few suggestions for you. Try contacting the JFK Library in person, they likely have motion picture or at least sound recordings of all the Kennedy Press Conferences. The motion picture stuff would likely get pricey but you should be able to obtain audio recordings of them without breaking the bank.

As far as your second wish list I do have quite a bit of JFK material myself I've collected on videotape and have begun transferring to DVD using my DVD recorder. Among it is 30+ hours of CBS's original assassination coverage which I obtained from the highest sources available, (always from people who got their material DIRECTLY from the networks), the entire 1983 WFAA "Kennedy Tapes" special that recapped their local & ABC's national coverage, and some other misc material.

I have a lot of similar historical news footage I've collected and placed on DVD over time. Send me a PM if you'd like a list. It isn't the same as commercial releases but it's better than nothing.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes, same here.
Although it appears you've got much more of CBS' coverage than I.

I've been able to obtain about 40 hours of network footage in total (CBS, NBC, and ABC/WFAA). With the ABC footage being the worst (PQ-wise).

But having the complete 56 hours of weekend footage from the CBS-TV vaults would be great (esp. if on restored DVD format). Going straight to the horse's mouth (CBS) would cost an arm, a leg, and a spleen, of course, making that route not too viable.

Well, perhaps in 2013 for the 50th Anniversary, we'll see more of this material seeing the light of day (and by then in HD-DVD probably). :)

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
They're partially right on the JFK stuff. Navy photographers also filmed many events on 16mm film however, and all of this footage IS in the public domain so maybe you'll get lucky & the press conferences will be represented here.

That's why I suggested audio. I know it isn't the same as seeing it in person but most of the audio holdings are copyright cleared & duplicates of those are only $12.75 per tape.

bart b

Auditioning
I wanted to let you guys know that on the History Channel this coming Saturday 5/1/04, 7-10- Pm C.S.T. they are showing "JFK: A Presidency Revealed" I saw this back in Nov of last year. and it's a EXCELENT program.

: A Presidency Revealed
Tune In:
Saturday, May 1 @ 8pm ET/PT

President John F. Kennedy's legacy is largely defined by the permanent scar his assassination left on America's psyche. This 3-hour analysis reveals the saga of an amazing man who led the charge in a technologically advancing world, yet was restricted by personal obstacles, national crises, and international challenges. Using JFK's private records, phone logs, medical reports, and secret recordings of staff meetings, we expose a flawed giant who dominated his time through sheer determination. TV PG

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And yet ... and yet ...

As I have mentioned before to David, I have that DVD set, and while A Presidency Revealed generally is good, I rate it as "pretty good -- for a History Channel documentary." It lapses into occasional dramatics that are unnecessary, and the incidental music sometimes intrudes. Nowhere near the level of a typical PBS historical documentary. Speaking of which, I would strongly recommend the two-volume set featuring the excellent PBS American Experience documentary, The Kennedys.

Again, Revealed is good but not great, IMO.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I was awaiting your rebuttal on that program, Jack. :) ;)

I recall our earlier discussion on the "Presidency Revealed" documentary.

I still remain steadfast however. I liked it very much. There's an especially-humorous audio clip in that program of JFK raking someone over the coals, while using such expletives as "bastard" and the "biggie" (the dreaded F word even). Quite funny hearing this language from the Commander-In-Chief. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I enjoyed the documentary, David. And I liked some of historian Richard Reeve's commentary. The segments on Excom and the Missile Crisis were especially enjoyable. Yet, PBS does this sort of thing better than anybody else. I prefer the sober (and sometimes grim) seriousness of the PBS approach to documentary filmmaking.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jack B. (and any other JFK fans) .......

I've been looking over (and listening to, where available) the JFK Conferences via the JFK Library site, and thought you might be interested in this audio file version of President Kennedy's conference of 04/11/1962.

This was Jack's "U.S. Steel" conference, during which you can almost "feel" the President's anger and contempt toward the Steel executives, who had raised their prices by $6.00 per ton just prior to this press conference.

And Mr. Kennedy was, to say the least, not very pleased with this Steel news.

You can hear the entire conference (via 'Real' Player), in perfect clarity, by clicking below. ..........

JFK CONFERENCE # 30 (WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 1962).

There is also one other conference that has an audio file attached to it at the "Library" website.

That being CONFERENCE # 10 FROM APRIL 1961 -- THE "BAY OF PIGS" CONFERENCE.

These are fascinating glimpses back into 1960s history. With a man who was always fascinating to listen to -- whether he was reading from prepared text (like his initial comments re. the U.S. Steel situation) or just off-the-cuff and ad-libbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks