What's new

Wanna join the HTF Fantasy Baseball League? Get in quick! (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, Scott...here you go.

1) 5 - I've played it before, but in a head to head 5x5 league. This is my first go at pure roto with cumulative stats but the premise is the same so I'm not worried. Good players will win in any league, any format.

2) I do homework 24/7.

3) 34.5677 or 0 depending on the pythagorian theorum of pie.

4) I consider trades even if my team is DOMINATING.

5) No, fantasy sports take priority over everything but sex.

6) I'm an American League fan, but hate the DH. Why? Because I like to load up on NL pitchers and having the pitchers hit gives my pitchers 3-4 more opportunities a game to add a strikeout to their total.

7) I've liked the Oakland A's since I was 8 years old (I'm 30 now). Actually, I have two favorite teams. Oakland and whomever plays the NY Yankees.

8) Definately going to be there.

9) No, and No.

10) Absolutely Yes. Basis should be on the field performance ONLY.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
1. 4- I am very familiar with it, but never played it
2. I know it pretty well, but I will study it a little more
3. WTF?
4. I ALWAYS consider trades
5. The Rookie looks awful, so I don't blame you
6. I HATE the DH, it is the worst part of baseball, NL is the best
7. The Florida Marlins are my favorite team.
8. 95% sure I will be there
9. No, and no- I don't give a shit about Star Wars
10. Yes

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
As the retired manager of the reigning HTF fantasy baseball league champion Carnivorous Clams, I thought I would bestow my blessing on this endeavor. Bless you all.

This was a very fun league last year despite a few whiners who quit when their team started to slide. This year I'm actually joining a church softball league and indulging my fantasies outside.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
1. 2 I think I know what it is but I will learn about it.

2. Of course. I want to do good and have fun.

3. Banana of course.

4. Yes. Anything to help the team

5. I would say that this draft is going to be better then The Rookie

6. Yes, Yes I am. Did I tread lightly enough?!?

7. Mariners, Mariners(I've been a fan ever sense I can remember liking baseball). I don't really have a favorite player.

8. Of course I'm there.

9. possibly but probably no, and no

10.Yes

GO MARINERS!!!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
1. 5. Considering the other fantasy leagues I've been in, I am well aware of the insane lengths fantasy owners will go to.
3. Banana pudding
4. My team will not be floundering. :)
5. No. Plus, I've already seen The Rookie. :D
6. Simply put, the DH stinks. NL ball is much preferred over AL ball. (I do have a soft spot for the Blue Jays/Twins game I saw in Toronto last July solely because the game was over in just less than two hours. Typically, though, AL games are excruciatingly long. Oh, and getting into that game for free thanks to a friendly Canadian probably helped preserve the good memory of the game.)
7. Cincinnati Reds. Cincinnati Reds. Johnny Bench was my favorite player growing up. I became a Cal Ripken Jr. fan. Current favorites would have to include Sean Casey and, despite his grumpiness of late, Barry Larkin.
8. I will be at the live draft.
9. So when is the draft?
10. Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. The fact that he was involved in some shady things as a manager (and generally seems to be an unrepetentant SOB) should not be a factor.
Anyone going to an Opening Day game? I'm going to the Reds' last Opening Day in Cinergy Field/Riverfront Stadium.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
1: 3.1 ;)
2: The only Fantasy BB league I've been involved with was the Smallworld/Sporting News one. Although I do research players a bit before picking them up (www.rotowire.com seems to be a great site for that)
3: 42?
4: Yes. You may have Carl Everett for a pack of smokes.
5: Ironic? No. Depressing? Yes. ;)
6: May the infidels burn! The DH is an affront to the way the game was intended to be played!
7: St.Louis Cardinals (current); I suppose St.Louis for yesteryear as well; Current players - Curt Schilling, Albert Pujols (ok, that one was mandatory), Matt Morris (yet another..); Yesteryear - Bob Gibson, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, yadda yadda...
8: I'm trying to work around a teeny problem but I intend on being there.
9: Tuesday, 6:35pm? I completely forgot about the trailer. Is it available for download? (quicktime/media player)
Edit: Found it. May seems so far away now.
Sure. I know the MLB is supposed to be more scrupulous than say, the NBA (allowing Sprewell to come back was ridiculous) but considering the circumstances and if Giamati had lived, Rose would be in.
Hope this helps you determine the leel of insanity you have in your league. Thanks, bubba.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
7. Cincinnati Reds. Cincinnati Reds. Johnny Bench was my favorite player growing up. I became a Cal Ripken Jr. fan. Current favorites would have to include Sean Casey and, despite his grumpiness of late, Barry Larkin
Mark, I'm a huge Casey fan too. I can't make it to opening day.:frowning: I just was surprised to see another Casey fan. You have to like Adam Dunn too. The guys got some serious potential. Anyway, I hope Scott doesn't get mad at me for this off topic post.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Brian,
I'll really get Scott's goat and go way off topic. :) I see you're from Troy. I'm originally from the tiny village of Phillipsburg, which it's possible you are aware of.
Casey has always seemed like a really good guy and emblematic of what a baseball player should be. It was pretty sweet going to the opening game in Pittsburgh's new park last year and seeing Casey swat one out (in his home town no less) to silence the Buccos fans. Especially nice since I was there with Pirates fans. One of the few highlights for a Reds fan last year.
And yes, Adam Dunn looks like a stud. Now if only the Reds had some pitching...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Hey wait, I just thought of something...
At 90 seconds per pick X 20 picks per round X 20 rounds = 36000 seconds or....600 minutes or....10 hours.
Lets hope people don't use the full 90 seconds. If the draft starts on time and goes the full 10 hours, I will have to finish the draft and get right into the shower to get ready for work seeing as it will end at 7:30am.
Somebody tell me it goes faster than this.
:frowning:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Evan. I'm just going by what I saw in the prior seasons, although I've never been in a Yahoo! league with 20 owners.

I can only assume that Yahoo! will shorten the "pick time" based on how many teams are in the league. (10 teams may get 90 seconds a turn, while 20 teams may get 60 seconds.)

Hopefully, nobody who will be at the draft "in person" will need to take a full 90 seconds per pick. I almost never need more than 20 seconds, unless my next "pick" is grabbed by someone right in front of me, and I must then scramble for another pick.

A problem may arise with the "auto-pick" teams, in that the computer often takes nearly the maximum alloted time to make its pick. I don't know why this should be the case, as all the Auto-Pick has to do is find the next available player on an owner's "wish list". But we'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I'd like the draft to be shorter than your average Oscars telecast. The less "auto-pick" owners we have, the better.

I feel particularly bad for my fellow East Coasters, as we have to start the latest! No fair!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to whomever it was that brought up the issue of "draft order" on the league message board.
As of right now, the draft order goes by who joined earliest. Since I created the league -yes- I currently get the first pick.
As much as I'd LOVE to have the first pick, that annoying Jiminy Cricket in my head is implying that that's not altogether fair. So I'll put it to a vote. There is the option of randomizing the draft order, although I'm not sure if the picks are randomized immediately, or just right before the draft.
So, here's the quick vote, and please vote the way you think is fair - NOT the way that best beneifts your specific team as of right now.
Yes - Please randomize the draft order.
No - First come, first served seems fair.
Keep in mind that the draft will go 1-20, 20-1, 1-20, etc. and NOT 1-20, 1-20, 1-20. Having a "low pick" may hurt you a bit in the early rounds, but these things have a way of balancing out once the draft is done. Here's what the current draft order looks like:
Opinionated Bastards
Chicago Moviemen
Cunning Linguists
Tropical Robots
Spottieottiedopalisc
los penguinos
Capt's Prontos
Team Thomas
Calgary Hitmen
James Brown Mafia
Mike's Redlegs
JDLSquad
Fenway Drunken Irish
Los Naked Mariachis
Kitty Hicks
Vancouver Assassins
Tacoma Power Factory
Boozehounds
Louisville Sluggers
Brett's Crew
-
I'm sure I'll be back soon to address something else I've forgotten! :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I'm the one who brought that up and even though I have the third pick, I'm completely comfortable if people want to randomize the draft. Although I know I'll get a stud at three if people don't. I can go either way with this one so I guess I abstain? Makes no difference really because if we keep it the same as now, my next pick isn't until 38, which is a long gap. I could probably watch a movie in the amount of time that it takes to cover 35 picks;)

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
1. 5 - I've done roto style baseball, basketball, and football.

2. I've been researching this stuff since the day after the world series ended!

3. 12

4. I love making trades and waiver wire pickups.

5. I'd probably skip an advanced screening of Episode 2 to make this draft. (Ok, that might be going a little too far.)

6. As a longtime NL fan, I despise the DH.

7. Favorite team: St. Louis Cardinals. My dad grew up in St. Louis, so I've been going to Cardinals games since I was a baby. Favorite players: JD Drew and Matt Morris. Favorite players of yesteryear: Vince Coleman (while he was a Cardinal) and Ozzie Smith.

8. Definately gonna be there.

9. Nope

10. Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame.

Since I have the 8th overall pick, I'm not complaining about my spot in the draft. But if randomizing it is the fairest for the league, I'm all for it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well, my grandfather is in the hospital and it looks like I won't make the draft.

If I don't make it I'll play the hand I am dealt; I won't drop out in the middle of the season.

Is there a way to make the auto-pick less crappy?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I just want you all to know the ass kicking begins in less than 24 hours. Thank you very much.:D

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
1. 5

3. If you know this you this you have way too much time on your hands

4. Yep

5. Yep

6. Not a fan of the DH . National League baseball is the real deal

7. Mets and Mets. David Cone and Piazza

8. Yep ill probably be there. Tivo can tape 24

9. Nope remembered both

10. Yes he should be.

I dont mind wether the picks happen this way or its random. Even though it would be fair to just randomize it like all the other leagues

capt

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
1. 5. I know a lot about baseball, in general, and have been playing 5x5 roto fantasy for 4-5 years.
3. 1i
4. I even will when it's doing well!
5. Yes. :)
6. ACK!
7. The hapless Red Sox. My favorite old-time team is the winning Red Sox (1900-1918). ;) I wish I could have seen Walter Johnson pitch.
8. Yep.
9. No. No.
10. My god, yes. But they shouldn't ignore his gambling problems in any exhibit about him. And Shoeless Joe should be eligible too. The worst anyone should be banned for is life. Their OWN life. Once they're dead, it only hurts the fans. Should Joe Jackson be elected though? That's a better question... Because he was still quite young when he was banned his career numbers probobally aren't good enough. And you can't give him too much of a break, all things considered.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Yes - Please randomize the draft order.
I won't bitch though. It's not a big deal to me. I just want a chance at pick #1. :) (I had a string once where I got the last pick 4 fantasy drafs in a row!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks