1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Wanna join the HTF Fantasy Baseball League? Get in quick!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Hi all. With the glorious baseball season less than a month away, I set out to start up my annual Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball League. Here's the scoop:
    20 teams in the league, 18 of which are currently unowned.
    Players from both the AL and the NL will be used because hopefully we'll have all 20 teams filled. I usually do an NL-only league, but I doubt it would work with so many teams.
    Teams will have a maximum of 20 players on them, from which you start the following: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, and a utility spot for any offensive player. On any given day, you can start 2 SPs, 2 RPs and then 2 pitchers that are either starters OR relievers. (This comes in handy if you have a good closer, or three good starters playing on the same day.)
    Teams will be chosen through an online draft that will take place on Tuesday, March 12 at 6:35 PM PT. It's important that you can "attend" and draft your own team, as Yahoo!'s "auto-pick" has a nasty habit of sucking. Real bad.
    Statistical Categories -
    Offense - Home runs, Batting average, RBIs, runs and Stolen Bases.
    Pitching - Wins, Strikeouts, Earned Run Average, Saves and WHIP (Walks/Hits per Innings Pitched)
    If you're not ultra-fluent in Fantasy Baseball, it's much simpler than it sounds. All HTF members are welcome to join, but I would ask one small favor:
    Please join ONLY if you're willing to follow the league throughout the entire baseball season. This game is best suited for hardcore baseball fans who don't mind checking their team 3 or 4 times a week. This also goes for those of us who may be "out of the running" towards the end of the season. I've seen more than one Fantasy League crumble due to apathetic owners.
    I'm sure I've forgot some specifics, but I'll post here if I think of anything. Any questions or suggestions regarding the 'league settings' are of course welcome.
    Enough chatter. In order to join, just go to http://standard.baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1 click the Sign Up Now! button and choose to Join a Private League. Then, when prompted, enter the following information...
    League ID#: 78907
    Password: OAR
    That's it! Hopefully this will be lots of fun for all the HTF baseball fanatics out there!

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Scott, I got in as the Impalers (my football fantasy name, but I'm in another Yahoo baseball league and don't want to get my two teams confused).
    Our other league does an offline draft at somebodies house. We use the Yahoo service, but I have no familiarity with the drafting on-line. Can you give more specifics.
    By the way, I won my league last year, so I'm MORE than hardcore. And we have some bigtime baseball junkies in that league.[​IMG]

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

This may be one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile:

4. John Nielsen

John Nielsen Stunt Coordinator

I'm in....Spottieottiedopaliscious.

Scott, where 'bout in Philly are you from?

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Wow. Three willing freaks already? Excellent.

To answer your questions in numerical order:

1. The online drafting is the epitome of all things simple. We'll all be in a Yahoo! Chat-like Java thingie, and the clock runs for 90 seconds per team. Example:

Say I get the #1 pick. I get 90 seconds to make my pick, and then it moves on to the next team. 1-10 and then 10-1, etc. Just make sure you show up to the draft a few minutes early to acquaint yourself with the interface. (Since it's Yahoo!, the 'draft window' doesn't take up a lot of resources, so even people with 24.0 MB computers and 56k connections should have no difficulty participating.)

2. Mark, you're an animal. Glad you're in!

3. I live in Northeast Philly. Near Welsh Rd. and Roosevelt Blvd. Yes, that's right near the Chuck E. Cheese.

If you guys know of any other HTF baseball freaks, please refer them to this thread. Thanks.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

What if you don't get enough teams? Do you all just cower at my greatness and go home or do we play with less than the "mandatory" 20?[​IMG]

7. Erik Childress

Erik Childress Auditioning

WOW!
    And I thought I was excited just getting ready for the upcoming baseball season. This will only be my second year in Fantasy Baseball and I'm totally into it now as I've never had a worthy group to play with. Looks like this group will fulfill those needs.
    For those who don't know me yet - my name is Erik Childress. I do the occasional post here at HTF - mostly when encouraged by my friend Scott Weinberg - just don't take my absence as disinterest in anyway. I'm just not a big message board poster.
    I don't want to come off like a blatant self-promoter, but I'm also a film critic here in Chicago and write for eFilmCritic.com/HollywoodBitchslap.com. You can find my work there as well as at the Online Film Critics Society website. Any further information can be obtained by my agent, Scott Weinberg, whom I'm sure will keep it 100% professional. [​IMG]
    Look forward to this year's season with all of you.
    Erik Childress

8. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I'm in, Scott.

9. John Nielsen

10. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm just hoping the advance screening that night is Ice Age or something relatively short so I can get back in time for the early rounds of the draft. So we have at least three film critics in this league? Sounds like trouble.[​IMG]

11. John Nielsen

-BUMP-

I know theres gotta be more than 6 baseball fans in here...

12. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Im in

Capt's Prontos on the way

capt

13. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I love the greatest game on Earth known as baseball, but I really have no clue about fantasy baseball. I know the basics of it, but I'm afraid I don't know enough to join. I'd hate to be the asshole who messes everything up. Kinda like the distinction I have here at the HTF.[​IMG]

14. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

I'm in. I for one cannot WAIT for this baseball season to start. GO CARDS!!

15. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Is in. Calgary Hitmen, again, until I can think of a decent name. Hoping to start off better than last year with that Esteban Loaiza for Jason Giambi trade I goofed on. This'll be my 2nd fantasy baseball pool.

Where's Joel?? can't have a Yahoo sports pool without Joel Mack!

Just saw the draft time. Any way to change that? I work evenings most of the month except for next week... or do I have to go with the prerankings like last year?

If we can possibly change it, here's my suggestions:

-any sunday all day

-anytime on the 22 and 23 (a friday and saturday)

-any evening this coming week (current scheduled time or later)

-any morning before noon eastern for the last 3 weeks of the month.

but if you can't change it or no one else wants to change it, that's cool too. thanks.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Alright - I was hoping that someone would start up a league. The Fantasy Baseball league (Sporting News) that I played in last year has become a pay-to-play league (though there is a limited version for free) and I'm not certain that I'm that dedicated.
    There. The James Brown Mafia is ready to go into the 2002 MLB season. [​IMG]

17. Michael St. Clair

I'm in, guys. I can probably make the draft.

18. John Nielsen

19. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I am in, fantasy baseball is alot of fun. Hopefully everyone will participate for most of the season. I have been in leagues before that once someone falls behind in standings they quit early in the season.
    Looking forward to a little HTF friendly competiton[​IMG]
    J

20. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think we only have 8 spots left.