What's new

Wal Mart $5 bin (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Bob,
Isn't the "caddyshack title" you probally saw Caddyshack II
I heard another customer at the store(while I was shopping) make the same mistake
John Are,
isn't 10 P&S??
also Circle of Friends ISN'T 16x9, dispite what the package says.
and My BLue Heaven is P&S as well
Pick up Pump up the Volume and Singles though:)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
John, hmmm, could have been. I didn't look too closely and almost went back today to get it. Shack 2 I'll pass on.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bob

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I probably won't be going to Vegas all the way from Florida for 1 DVD!
Comprehensive non-OAR list.
According to Jeff Kleist's post in the thread linked above, 1.33:1 is the OAR of Joe's Apartment. Then Buzz Vinard's post refutes it with info straight from the studio. According to Blue Sky's response to his email it's special effects shots were composited for widescreen. I went looking for it after seeing Jeff's post. So now that I've read Buzz's post I'm glad I didn't find it.
So how is the quality on 10 and The Lawnmower Man? Are these safe recommendations to buy unseen?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I forget the shortcomings of "The Lawnmower Man"'s video presentation but I just picked it up for the supplemental stuff on the DVDs.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
The 5$ bin is BACK. At least at the Maple Grove, MN Walmart location. A great deal of movies have been reported to be found including(passed on from DVDTalk):

"10"
2 days in the Valley
Altered States
A Cry in the Dark
Avengers
Bed of Roses
Big Bully
Clan of the Cave Bear
Creepshow
Dangerous Liasons
Divine Madness
Feeling Minnesota
Guinevere (w/Sheryl Lee)KEEPSAKE
Jackie Chan's First Strike
Lawnmower Man
Liberty Heights
Major League II
Man with Two Brains
Mr Nice Guy
My Fellow Americans
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Primal Instinct (w/Michael Madsen)KEEPSAKE
Shadowlands
Showdown in Little Tokyo
Silent Fall
Simpatico
Spawn 2 (Animated)
Three Wishes
Trial and Error
Zeus and Roxanne
Corrina Corrina
American Flyer
Cleopatra Jones
Mr Wonderful
Chasers
House Party 2 & 3
Sommersby
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Boiling Point
Pump up the Volume
Innocent Blood
Pinnochio
Tarzan and the lost city
Made in America
Night Shift
Action Jackson
Running on Empty
Surviving the Game
Stealing Home
BillyJack
Joe's Apartment
Switch
Victory
THe Bachelor
True Stories
Sour Grapes
Stand and Deliver
South Central
Stroker Ace
Hooper
Caddyshack2
Babar
In Country
First Deadly Sin
Sharky Machine
Singles
National Velvet
Local Hero
Three to Tango
DeathTrap
Shaft goes to ???(2 diferent movies)
Burglar
Seawolves
Stay Tuned

Obviously YMMV.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I picked up "Diner" on WS last week', all the copies I found of "Sharky's machine " were P&S, was this title ever released on WS, what about "Night shift"?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Sommersby wasn't 16x9 (the reason why I didn't buy it),
I rented Sommersby some time ago and I recall it being 2.35:1 anamorphic. That's supported by this review at DVDFile, which says it has both an anamorphic widescreen and P&S version:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../sommersby.htm
However, the video quality still leaves something to be desired. Not up to today's standards for Warner, and thus probably the reason it's in the bargain bin.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Patrick, what shortcoming of "The Lawnmower Man"? I just watched my copy a few nights ago and it seemed pretty good to me.

Most of those titles are what they had back around Thanksgiving, though there are some additional ones.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The version of "The Lawmower Man" on DVD is the theatrical cut of the film at 108 minutes, but there is a better version of the film on VHS that's over 141 minutes: the Director's Cut.

Unfortunately the DVD does include the scenes from the superior version (the director's cut), but they are not integrated into the film, but rather, they are provided as "deleted scenes" on the DVD on the OTHER SIDE of the DVD! Ugh!

Many fans of the film clamor for the Director's Cut on DVD, but it'll probably never happen now, and New Line lost their opportunity with the initial release of the DVD, as this title is getting relegated to cheap DVD status, there's not enough customer demand for a new director's cut of the film on DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I misremebered what I read on the back of the "Somersby" DVD case, but I didn't see anything that referred to that DVD being enhanced for 16x9 TV sets, so the conclusion I made at that time was that it was simply a widescreen film with no 16x9 enhancement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks