Wal Mart $5 bin

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenP, Nov 27, 2002.

1. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

My wal mart has just put out a huge bin of $5 titles. There were about 30 or so titles, some P&S some not. Here are some of the ones I remember:
    Creepshow, Man with 2 Brains, My Blue Heaven, Exorcist 3, South Central, Surviving the Game, The Man who Knew too little, Showdown in litle tokyo, Drop Dead Gorgeous, the Spawn animated series, Joes apartment, many more I cant remember. Anyone please feel free to post additional titles.

Also, Circuit city has a huge warner bros bin behind the counter, I assume for friday deals. So far it is empty.

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Agent

I picked up 2 Days in the Valley. I held off on that title for a long time, but couldn't pass it up for $5. And I thought it was pretty cheap a year ago when I saw it at Best Buy for $12... [​IMG]
    The $5 bin was slightly tough to find. Kind of adjacent to the electronic area, burried behind some other stands.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

One of the bad things about snappers is that the boxes have sharp corners, and after people have rummaged through these cheapo DVD (placed in shopping, I kid you not, at my local Wal-Mart), all of the DVDs cardboard covers are scarred for life. I still broke down and picked up 3 more @ $5 (Altered States, Dangerous Liasons, The Crush) and the Shania Twain DVD exclusive for $6.44 (has 5 videos and her latest video/single on it).

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I picked up Night Shift today for $5.00, its even widescreen. I plan on hitting the other wal-mart in my town tonight. [​IMG]
    My store didnt have a 'bin' but several shelves nicely stacked. No bent corners here......

5. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

I picked up Diner in widescreen. There are a few interesting titles, but many are "modified to fit your TV".

6. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I might take a trip between classes tomorrow, thanks for the alert! Creepshow aint bad for $5.

Dean

7. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Looked at 4 different Walmarts in the area but couldn't find Joe's Apartment. I sifted through hundreds of discs and came up empty. [​IMG]

8. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Rob,
    need to check out Wal-Mart Vegas, they had a handful of Joe's Apt for $5, but realize that Joe's Apt is MODIFIED(not 16x9)
    Patrick,
    Yeah, your right about those scarred covers, but the Wal-mart I went to, had about 50/50 scarred covers.
    ALSO, how is Altered States?
    I never seen it, but was curious to buy it
    I just came back...AGAIN, from buying more $5 titles. ALL ARE 16x9
    I just bought Diner, Circle of Friends and 2 Days in the Valley
    I had bought Creepshow and Feeling Minnesota a week ago, and Creepshow is a pretty good deal, for buying it sight unseen.
    and for those who are planning on getting The Crush even though it is 16x9, the DVD is STILL modified dialogue wise.
    W/O getting to much into it, the director got sued by a x-girlfriend, becuase she found out that the director used her story and her name w/o her permission.
    So all the VHS and DVD's now have people saying "ADRIAN" instead of "Darrian"
    I own it, and it doesn't bother me that much

9. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

11. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ack! Treat them as rentals (the mis-marked 16x9 cheapo DVDs).

13. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

14. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I too had a problem with my Night Shift. Like I said, they were nicely stacked,however, when I open it up, the little hub in the middle was broken, the disc had a large scratch (on the widescreen side [​IMG]) I have watched 1/2 of the movie with no problems. If I have no problems I plan on keeping it and trying to fix the hub. I guess I should of done the "shake" test, but didnt .... [​IMG]

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wal-Mart takes back opened DVDs?

16. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Patrick,
    They did with me last week.
    Presumed Innocent was in bad shape, plus I mistakenly thought it was 16x9(that's the actual reason I returned it) and they w/o question gave my money back.

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I nabbed Sommersby and Switch...finally (for both).

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sommersby wasn't 16x9 (the reason why I didn't buy it), and "Stealing Home" is P/S, so I passed on it as well. I knew Presumed Innocent wasn't 16x9 because it didn't list it being Enhanced for 16x9, but I still bought it just because I liked the movie enough at $5 to buy it.

19. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I went to Wal Mart this morning. The $5 bin was, in fact, a shopping cart pushed against a wall; I passed it by twice before I found it. Lots of good titles, though.
    I bought: Diner, "10", and Local Hero, all of which I am very fond. All WS, of course.
    I was tempted by: Pump Up the Volume, Singles, and Deathtrap (all WS).
    I also saw: Circle of Friends, Stoker Ace, Sharkey's Machine, Drop Dead Gorgeous, My Blue Heaven, and The Man Who Knew Too Little.
    Note to Rob: They had Joe's Apartment, but it was fullscreen.
    Jon

20. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

My Walmart had most of those listed plus Caddyshack. Didn't see Joe's appartment. I didn't look too closely if it was 16x9 or not. I almost picked it up and I still may. They had tons of them.

Bob