What's new

WAF or S/O on Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Chris AB

Auditioning
I am looking for a sub that is 15x15x15 or less do to the S/O factor. I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on what I could get. I was looking at the Vtf -2 and Svs subs but she ruled those out quickly because of how large and ugly they were. Obviously I think each one is awesome but it's her place too so I told her I would consider her input. Wow!!! Big Mistake. My budget is less than $1000 but hoping to find something around $750. Room is 25x25 with 10 foot ceilings. Just curious how everyone with signifcant others was able to convince them to go with a larger sub. Did you bribe them or make promises? I appreciate everyones help.

Chris

This is a great forum.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
Boston PV600 and PV1000 are both very small. I actually picked the PV600 over the HSU. Boston makes a very tight and accurate sub. The PV1000 is pricey and I would get the SVS before I would get the PV1000. But if it has to be small, try it.

Or there is one other thing you could do....BE A MAN! Get what you want. Your buying audio for the sound. If you want something that looks nice, buy a painting.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Onecall also had some refurbed Velodyne SPL1000s (10 inch woofs) that would be in your budget. They had some 1200s but they appear to be gone now.
There have been performance #s floating around lately. Try this link to a discussion that starts with the Vel HGS 12 and the Sunfire Signature Sub and then goes from there.
The SPL1200 gets a lot of good words.

Chris AB

Auditioning
Would the Sunfire Junior and spl 1000 be plenty of bass in a 30x25 room? The 20 x 20 was the wrong measurement. Are there any other recommendations? What do you think about the Boston Acoustics PV-1000?

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I'm in the same situation....WAF. I was initially convinced on selecting the SIG or HGS-12, but the more I keep thinking about it I can't see spending that much money. I'm liking what I'm reading about all these $750-$1000 subs.

I wonder if the HGS-12 would give you the cost difference in output? Is that increase in output worth twice the money?

If you look around you can probably find the SPL1200 for $750-$800.

I'm still trying to decide myself.

SP

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
have you considered the DIY route? this way, you could get your wife to help you make it look 'acceptable.' it would keep costs low, not to mention give great performance!

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Get the SVS, then have your wife pick out a nice, tall plant and put the plant in front of the SVS! :D Whoop-ass bass in an aesthetically pleasing environment...

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I recommend for that price the ARS300. See it here: http://soundpros.com/popup2.cfm?id=1745
Upon checking it's current price, I was surprised to see it had fallen so low. I paid about $600 for mine almost 2 years ago.
Well, it's an awesome sub, and it fills my room which is a touch smaller than yours. You might want a sub a few steps up from there(pricewise).
Sam

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
ultimate SAF friendly sub? build in an IB sub.

all the performance your taste/wallet can stand, no box in room for her to look at.

if your room can possibly do it, at least research it.

since i put in mine, id never go back.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
if onecall still has the SPL1200s for 749.00....that might be a great *size/performance/price* ratio...?

TV

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
TV,

Maybe you'll read this post....I noticed on Velodyne's website that Audio Mag did a review of the HGS-12. It had an output of 99db at 16hz. Are you familiar with the review? If so, can this be compared to TN's numbers?

Thanks,

SP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks