What's new

VTF-3 Woofer (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Does anyone know what type driver the VTF-3 uses? Is it as respected a driver as one manufactured by TC Sounds? What would a replacement driver cost? There are no specs on the HSU website.

Mike Sloan

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

I own a VTF-3 and it is absolutely incredible! I don't know too much about how the woofer driver itself compares with the SVS, but I know Dr. Hsu has been designing these things for MUCH longer than SVS. (no disrespect intended)

The sub is fully optimized so that the woofer, cabinet volume, and amp all work together perfectly to deliver very deep bass. I will tell you this, I have a buddy who sold his M&K MX-200 subwoofer once he heard my VTF-3. He actually sold his M&K for more than he paid for the Hsu.

I got mine from ascend acoustics, no shipping!

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I'll tell you I just got my second VTF-3 and It is sooo over the top that I may send it back! I was tweaking it in with the new Monsters Inc. and a few of the scenes actually created such an over pressure in the room I needed to pop my ears. I have the receiver's (Denon 5803)subwoofer setting at -12 (thats minus!)I read in some posts that it is preferable to have the subs volume or gain control all the way up and control it with the receiver's subwoofer gain? That would be impossible on the VTF-3.What your experience with this?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That applies more to proamps than to plate amps. Set the 5803 to it's middle value. Then use the gain knob to get it close to where it should be and then use the 5803 level control to fine tune it.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Mike:
dual VTF-3s!!!! Oh my goodness!! No, don't send it back! You'll regret it, even if you don't need it! It's a testosterone thing :D

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
It is sort of a "Tim Allen" approach to Home-theater. I will try some more placement options to see if I can tame the beast. I believe alot of the "over the top" SPL's are due to the subs not being co-located. I need a Y connector for this and that's why I didn't place the subs in same location. At least I can reach (near) reference levels with the subs idling!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Ah, that ain't the Tim Allen approach ;)
This is the Tim Allen approach :p)
Link Removed
http://www.geocities.com/manurescape...l?982993304980
Don't know where any completed pics of this one are though, but it will definately be capable of more bass than the big pig:
http://www.stryke.com/kits.htm#154
Also keep in mind that full reference level with all speakers set to small can ask as much as 121dB from the subs at your listening position. So although a pair of VTF3 subs are way above what most people have, I don't think they could pound out full reference on some of the DVDs out there (especially in the last octave).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks