What's new

Vivendi and RHI Press Release: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I know that Warner has released "The Devil's Brother" & "Bonnie Scotland" on 2 single DVDs (in Europe and 1 set with the 2 DVDs in the US. There were a number or excerps which included from the movie "Hollywood Party" which was released in Germany PAL Region 2. The movie was not very good but you get high quality L&H (which includes the "egg scene") plus a Disney cartoon - "Red Hot Chocolate Soldiers"

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Any hope of a restored "Swiss Miss". This is a great movie ruined by the ending with much of the piano scene cut and ruined. My guess is that footage is lost forever but this would truly be a dream set if a restored Swiss Miss was also included.

lray

Auditioning
Real Name
Lyle Ray
Randy Korstick said:
Any hope of a restored "Swiss Miss". This is a great movie ruined by the ending with much of the piano scene cut and ruined. My guess is that footage is lost forever but this would truly be a dream set if a restored Swiss Miss was also included.
Interesting Randy Korstick. Do you know the difference between the running time of the cut version and the one without the cuts? Is the ending somehow different in the two versions?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
It is somewhat misleading to suggest that Swiss Miss has been cut since the version we have today is the film that was originally released to theatres. A subplot about a bomb in the piano was removed before release but the shots of Stan hitting the piano keys during the bridge sequence ( and potentially detonating the bomb ) were still left in the finished film. Considering how many times the Roach library has been passed around to various owners over the years, it's unlikely anything that was not part of a final release print is likely to be found , if it even still exists.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Rob W said:
It is somewhat misleading to suggest that Swiss Miss has been cut since the version we have today is the film that was originally released to theatres. A subplot about a bomb in the piano was removed before release but the shots of Stan hitting the piano keys during the bridge sequence ( and potentially detonating the bomb ) were still left in the finished film. Considering how many times the Roach library has been passed around to various owners over the years, it's unlikely anything that was not part of a final release print is likely to be found , if it even still exists.
Unlikely, though it has happened in the cases of Laughing Gravy and Pardon Us, to name two.
Wasn't there supposed to have been some experimental color footage shot during the filming of Swiss Miss as well?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection is now available for preorder for $84.99 through Movies Unlimited. It is currently $69.99 at Amazon, so this information is an alternative for those who won't or can't order from Amazon for whatever reason.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection is also available for preorder at Movies Unlimited for $84.99. Since it is priced at $69.99 through Amazon.com this information is meant as an alternative for those who can't or won't order from Amazon for whatever reason.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Dick Bann posted on facebook that the foreign language versions will have optional English subtitles. The UK did not have that option so this will be a defnite plus.

From that comment it would be logical to conclude that the American versions also have subtitles for those who use them, but I'd rather see confirmation from RHI before passing that off as fact.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
This set will pretty much wrap L&H up in the US. I have seen some comments on Amazon and various places around the internet complaining about this or that film not being included, but they have essentially all been released. Here's a quick rundown:
Silent shorts -- all except "Hats Off" included in "The Lost Films Of Laurel And Hardy" series (because it is really lost) (though these are deleted and in limited availability)
Sound shorts -- all included in the new Vivendi set
Hal Roach features -- all included in the new Vivendi set except:
The Devil's Brother (TCM Archives set)
Babes In Toyland/March Of The Wooden Soldiers (Best available version is the MGM one)
Bonnie Scotland (TCM Archives set)
Fox features -- Released in two volumes of "The Laurel & Hardy Collection" by Fox
M-G-M features (Air Raid Wardens/Nothing But Trouble) -- included in WB's "Classic Comedy Teams" set
The Flying Deuces -- best version (though not 100% definitive) released by Kino
Utopia -- all over the place as a public domain title, but a really good version has yet to be released
(Guest appearances in shorts)
The Stolen Jools -- extra on Kino "Flying Deuces" DVD, also on "Laurel & Hardy And Friends" released by Image
On The Wrong Trek (Charley Chase) -- L&H & Friends
Wild Poses (Our Gang) -- Released as part of Little Rascals collection by Genius/Vivendi
On The Loose (Thelma Todd) -- ? (included in UK 21-DVD set)
The Tree In A Test Tube -- on various releases, best and most complete version is on the Fox features set Volume 2
(Guest appearances in feature films)
Rogue Song (what exists of it is in the TCM set)
Hollywood Revue Of 1929 (L&H scenes are in TCM set)
Hollywood Party (ditto)
Pick A Star (ditto)
That leaves just a few foreign-language films, right? Spanish "Pardon Us," German "Murder Case," German "Pardon Us" clip, any others?

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Steve...O said:
Portability - I have the UK set but only can play it on one player in the house.  This set will play anywhere, including on my main display and will upconvert via the BD player. Improved transfers (these are all using HD transfers for the first time) The UK set included an edited version of Blockheads and a nasty splice in the Trail of the Lonesome Pine sequence. Those will be corrected and many of the shorts will have the original titles includded.  The UK set takes up a lot more room and the disc count is inflated with worthless (to me) badly colorized versions.  This set will help reintroduce L&H to a new generation of fans and remind longer term fans why they were fans to begin with thus increasing their exposure and hopefully providing more funding to UCLA to do their restorations. Buying American. And the list goes on.  The above is not intended to slam the UK set.  It was much appreciated at a time with L&H was sorely missing in R1.  I plan on keeping mine and displaying it.   However given that this will use better transfers, more complete prints, and is value priced (currently $69.99 on Amazon and I bet it can be found cheaper via Sam's Club) this is a no brainer.  RHI is actively using L&H scholars like Mr. Bann and Mr. Skretvedt to plan and participate in this release thus ensuring it will be a high quality release using the right prints with the right title sequences.
I agree with buying American whenever possible. I have rebought those UK titles I have bought as soon as they come out here (even a handful of grey-market titles that were not available legimately get rebought when the legit versions become available!)

lray

Auditioning
Real Name
Lyle Ray
Well stated Mark Y. In my opinion, the Kino version of Flying Deuces, is the one to get if anyone needs a great looking print of this movie. The movies from the 40's all are looking good, and some are not as bad (movie wise) as some of us have thought in the past. But the sound movies from the 30's are Stan and Ollie at their best. This new set will be the best Laurel and Hardy collection ever released in the USA.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Mark Y said:
(Guest appearances in feature films)
Rogue Song (what exists of it is in the TCM set)
Hollywood Revue Of 1929 (L&H scenes are in TCM set)
Hollywood Party (ditto)
Pick A Star (ditto)
That leaves just a few foreign-language films, right? Spanish "Pardon Us," German "Murder Case," German "Pardon Us" clip, any others?
The complete Hollywood Revue of 1929 is available from the Warner Archive (although as a plotless film, the L & H footage from HR 1929 on the TCM set pretty much works on it's own )

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Looks like this set has dropped $5 on Amazon... Now $$64.99
http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-The-Essential-Collection/dp/B005BYBZKY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've been checking my email alerts religiously for new posts. I guess there just hasn't really been anything new to report, and the "Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection" release is still over two months away (Oct, 25, 2011!). No doubt, this thread will catch fire, and light up like a Christmas Tree (hmm...Christmas Trees-- "Big Business" anyone? LOL!) after the release date. Have noticed that as of today, Amazon.com lists the price at $65.99 for preorder. Also, one of the reviewers on Amazon goes by the name "Barbara Streisand." Yeah, I know the famous one is spelled "Barbra!" But, as this thread is in a momentary "Lull before the typhoid" (My lame attempt at a Stan Laurel Malaprop!), I think a little levity is allowed. Joking aside, her review is brief, but very meaningful! Anyway, until October 25th, CHEERS!!!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Lee Bombard /t/313141/vivendi-and-rhi-press-release-laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/90#post_3842738
Wow! This thread seems to have lost steam...
Anyone have any new details?
Yep I also think that this will heat up again in October. I don't think there is much more to report. We know the line up of titles, the extras, the number of discs, and the packaging. Until we actually see the transfers and early copies are sent, then I would expect it to be quite.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
We don't know what the final packaging will be until review copies come in. I'm personally hoping for revisions, because scratched discs will keep me from this set. And I've been waiting forever like many others.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt /t/313141/vivendi-and-rhi-press-release-laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/90#post_3843191
We don't know what the final packaging will be until review copies come in. I'm personally hoping for revisions, because scratched discs will keep me from this set. And I've been waiting forever like many others.
I would say this is the final packaging.
817toQE5BjL._AA1500_.jpg

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Yes, but we don't know what kind of feedback the companies may have gotten since that was posted. This set is long-awaited by many, and that packaging style is now quite infamous.
They might revise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks