What's new

Virtual-On coming to the PS2 (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Good news if you like your Mech Combat SEGA stylee!!

Taken from computerandvideogames...

"Sega will announce Virtual-On Marz for PlayStation 2 at the first day of Tokyo Game Show 2002 tomorrow. The chances are that about three of you are going to care about that last sentence, and Europe will never see a release of the new version, but there are some things you have to do out of love. Love Virtual-On. Love it like a small, very well armed dog.
For the uninitiated, Virtual-On is an incredibly hardcore mech combat game popular in Japanese arcades. Three home versions have been released - Virtual-On on Saturn and PC, and Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram on Dreamcast - but failed to achieve success even in Japan due to the necessity of buying a double joystick peripheral. Virtual-On Force, the latest arcade version, has made it well past its seventh version since its 1999 release.

No details are available on Virtual-On Marz as yet. As soon as there are, be sure to watch us get gooey over an incredibly cool game that no one cares about. Our lot is a lonely one..."

John Chow

Second Unit
Hm..quite interesting. I have to admit, when I first saw Virtual-On in the arcades many eons ago, I was completely in awe of it. Never really played it much, didn't feel like dropping the $1.00 or so it cost. I did play it some in college when it was cheaper, but never really got a good feel for it.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
My buddy has this on his Saturn. It was a pretty damn good game. Really fast-paced. Wonder if they're gonna require the big controller again?

Sean

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Considering the PS2 already has double sticks, I'd sy you're good to go.

You didn't HAVE to buy the joysticks, but you really did have to to enjoy it

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Yeah pumped through the VGA adapter the DC verion of Virtual On is stunning. I saw a few screen shots of the PS2 version and they didn't really impress me. Of course the real test will be seeing it in action.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
IGN checked this out at TGS. here's the article:
Link Removed
and a snippet from it:
"The PS2 handles the game quite well from a control standpoint. We were unable to configure the controls to our liking, but we got used to the default rather quickly. The L pad moves your virtualoid with the L and R triggers rotating your viewpoint. Pressing both triggers at once makes your virtualoid block. As for face buttons, two buttons are used for attacks and one for jumping. Here's the kicker with the controls. The jump button automatically activates a jump-cancel maneuver, where your virtualoid jumps up slightly and then comes back down; this is useful for turning your virtualoid into the direction of your enemy target. To execute a full jump, you have to hold the jump button down just a bit longer. It was quite easy to play the game this way, although we're hoping for a Twin Sticks peripheral just for fun."
Sega had better wise up and put use to the "sticks" that are on the PS2 controllers before release or else....
"Things also look and sound well enough. Although not as clean as the arcade counterpart..."
ive got Virtual On: OT for the DC, and running through my Performance VGA it is nothing short of stunning to this day as are other VGA enabled DC games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks