What's new

video up conversion (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
My question is requarding the gamecube. I have on order the 3803 and I want to plug my gamecube into the reciever (not using the componet video). If it up converts it and sends it to the tv via componet video. What is it up converting it to. Will it do whatever the game is in (if 480p) or will I only get an interlaced picture.

Thanks

DanielSmi

Second Unit
The up converter is not a line doubler. It's like taking AC and converting it to DC, or Analog-to-Digital, it's just converting it to a different form; you won't get any increase in quality. For example it will take a composite signal and convert it to a component signal, there's no increase in quality it's just sent as a component signal. Kindof like the garbage in garbage out phrase. If you give the receiver a bad composite signal it'll convert it to a bad component signal (that's if the 3803 coverts it to component, it might only do s-video instead; I don't know).
On a side note it's impossible to transfer a progressive signal through a composite or s-video cable, only comonent can do that. So if you want progressive from you GC you'll need to order the comonent cable from their website here.
Daniel Smith

Han

Second Unit
There's a little blurb in Secrets' review of the Denon 5803 that says the upconverted signal is 480i. (Link Removed) I figure it's probably the same case for the 3803.
It's mainly a convenience feature that I'd love to have in my (or my next) receiver/prepro.

bryan_chow

Agent
Actually what the "upconverter" in the receiver does is split the input (either composite or S-video) into Y, Pr, Pb (similar to red, green, blue).

Both input and output will still be 480i. Not only will it not improve the quality, it actually degrades it (from slight to noticeable, depending on how good a job it does).

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks