What's new

Video switching (1 Viewer)

Reggie_F

Agent
I'm deciding as to whether I should spend the extra money on a receiver with video switching capability. My only video source will be a DVD player and my TV has s-video input and composite inputs only. I don't expect to upgrade my TV in the near future. The only advantage I see in getting a receiver with video switching is that most of them also feature a 6th channel. I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Yamaha HTR5730 or 5740
Panasonic XR30 or XR50
Onkyo 502
HK AVR130

Any advice or other received I should consider in that price range?

Thanks,
Reg

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
In my opinion, there are only two reasons to get video switching in a receiver: 1. Your TV doesn't have enough video inputs or 2. You like the convenience of using the receiver remote to change video inputs automatically (which, by the way, you can also accomplish with a universal remote).

If you have only one video input (DVD) there's absolutely no reason to get video switching. But are you sure you won't be adding some in the future: Digital cable (requires outboard set top box), VCR, Tivo, HDTV, Satellite, etc??

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I didn't know there were any receivers on the market that don't have video switching other than the few 2 channel models still available. Doesn't mean you have to use it, of course.

Reggie_F

Agent
Thanks for the response Dave,

In fact, I do have a digital set top box with s-video output, I never would have thought to check, thanks for pointing that out. My TV has only 1 s-video input, so it appears I would need to get a receiver with s-video switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks