What's new

Video Essentials carried by BB or CC? (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I'm starting to notice that VE is brought up pretty frequently as a necessary tool for calibrating your set, so I thought I might look into picking one up. Do these stores carry it, and is it truly an important tool for home theater?

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
You don't want to buy VE at BB or CC. They charge the full MSRP for it which is $50. I have a sealed extra copy for sale if your interested. I'm asking $30 including shipping. E-me if your interested.
And yes it is a valuable tool to get your system running the best that it can both both audio and visual wise.
-EJ
------------------
sig.gif

my HT site

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
David,
You might want to wait a little longer. There is going to be a new VE disc coming out soon. And is suppose to only retail for 20.00 bucks. I think I saw something about it at www.thedigitalbits.com . If you don't mind the wait, this might be the way to go.
------------------
-Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Here is the blurb from The Digital Bits:
Also this morning, we've got word that DVD International's much-lauded and highly-useful Video Essentials DVD is soon to be no more. The disc, which is used to properly calibrate your home theater equipment to maximize your picture and sound quality, has been discontinued. But don't fret, because on November 14th, it's being replaced by Digital Video Essentials. The new disc will SRP for only $24.99 (the original Video Essentials carried a hefty $49.99 price tag). Created by Joe Kane Productions, the disc will be the first ever created using true "Progressive Mastering". It will reportedly contain far more information that the original Video Essentials, and will be easier to use. It will still feature all of the calibration patterns we've come to rely on here at the Bits, along with a wealth of new demonstration material and new programs on Dolby Digital and DTS sound. Both NTSC and PAL versions will be produced, and localized versions will be available in German, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Japanese and Portuguese. Joe Kane is nothing if not a crusader for quality and a stickler for detail, so I fully expect this disc will live up to the hype.

------------------
-Dwayne

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought VE at BB for 24.99 here in Tyler. Shoulda waited for the second though I guess.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I bought Video Essentials a couple of months ago at Best Buy for just $27.99. They restocked it at the same price, so this is their everyday price. At least these days.
I'm sure that everyone marked it down when news of the new version coming started circulating. After all, noone - especially the producer - wants to get stuck with old stock!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
[Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 30, 2001 at 03:37 AM]

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Media Play in Alpharetta near where I live (90 min. drive...) has it, I think, for under 30.
What makes this disc better than a disc such as "The Ultimate DVD: Silver Special Edition" or the THX Optimode?
I have used the THX Optimode to calibrate my system (which isn't very "THX approved") and everything looks and sounds fine.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
While I was at Best Buy to pick up the Ultimate Toy Box (David Lambert I believe gave me the heads-up on their low price several weeks ago), I checked out the price on Video Essentials, and it was $27.99. I decided to wait because bestprices.com has it for only $17.99.
However, I don't know if I'll pick it up anway because I used the THX optimode on the Toy Box (I never thought of using it on Fight Club), and that certainly helped things out a little bit, especially with color and brightness. What makes Video Essentials better than the Optimode function?
And by the way, that Toy Box is awesome! I had the movie-only 2-pack, but this is unbelievably better. It's worth $50 just for the Toy Story Treats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks