Video Essentials carried by BB or CC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Illingworth II, Sep 29, 2001.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I'm starting to notice that VE is brought up pretty frequently as a necessary tool for calibrating your set, so I thought I might look into picking one up. Do these stores carry it, and is it truly an important tool for home theater?

2. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

You don't want to buy VE at BB or CC. They charge the full MSRP for it which is $50. I have a sealed extra copy for sale if your interested. I'm asking $30 including shipping. E-me if your interested.
    And yes it is a valuable tool to get your system running the best that it can both both audio and visual wise.
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    my HT site

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

David,
    You might want to wait a little longer. There is going to be a new VE disc coming out soon. And is suppose to only retail for 20.00 bucks. I think I saw something about it at www.thedigitalbits.com . If you don't mind the wait, this might be the way to go.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne

4. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Here is the blurb from The Digital Bits:

5. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

I just bought VE at BB for 24.99 here in Tyler. Shoulda waited for the second though I guess.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I bought Video Essentials a couple of months ago at Best Buy for just $27.99. They restocked it at the same price, so this is their everyday price. At least these days.
    I'm sure that everyone marked it down when news of the new version coming started circulating. After all, noone - especially the producer - wants to get stuck with old stock!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 30, 2001 at 03:37 AM]

7. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

woohoo! a PAL version!

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Media Play in Alpharetta near where I live (90 min. drive...) has it, I think, for under 30.
    What makes this disc better than a disc such as "The Ultimate DVD: Silver Special Edition" or the THX Optimode?
    I have used the THX Optimode to calibrate my system (which isn't very "THX approved") and everything looks and sounds fine.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

9. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

While I was at Best Buy to pick up the Ultimate Toy Box (David Lambert I believe gave me the heads-up on their low price several weeks ago), I checked out the price on Video Essentials, and it was $27.99. I decided to wait because bestprices.com has it for only $17.99.
    However, I don't know if I'll pick it up anway because I used the THX optimode on the Toy Box (I never thought of using it on Fight Club), and that certainly helped things out a little bit, especially with color and brightness. What makes Video Essentials better than the Optimode function?
    And by the way, that Toy Box is awesome! I had the movie-only 2-pack, but this is unbelievably better. It's worth $50 just for the Toy Story Treats.