video connection conversion question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Lee, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i just bought the yamaha 5590 receiver.

however, when i tried playing around with the monitor outputs, i ran into some issues. bottom line is i can't seem to get my video mon-out working.

it seems like i have to stay consistent in my video connections for the mon-out to work. if i use composite connections for my gear, then the composite mon-out works -- but the s-vid mon-out doesn't. if i switch all my gear to the s-video connection, then the s-vid mon-out works. [​IMG]

the website even statesnow, admittedly i haven't played with it a whole lot yet, but i thought i'd ask. i'll probably also follow-up with an email to yamaha.

thx,

ted

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ted.

Yes, most recievers dont convert from one video type to another.

I strongly suggest you standardize on SVideo for all inputs and for the monitor out.

A receiver that converts SVideo to Composite is actually down-converting the signal. You dont want to do this if your television takes SVideo.

"Home Theater" magazine compared all 3 video connection types on a "Reference" 50" RPTV and concluded:
    • Composite - baseline quality
    • SVideo - 20% improvement over Composite
    • Component - 25% improvement over composite

From a good source, SVideo will give you a better picture.

If you have 1 old device that only outputs composite, there is a cheap $20 Composite-to-SVideo converter you can get at Radio Shack.

Hope this helps.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

oh...thanks bob!

i just realized i read the yamaha website wrong. i was thinking s-video to component ... not composite.

heh...i guess sometimes it just takes a fresh perspective.

so...most receivers do not convert video connections ... that's good to know!

thx again!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

SVideo to Component - is a much easier conversion than Composite to SVideo. If your receiever will do this, go ahead and let it.