What's new

video connection conversion question (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i just bought the yamaha 5590 receiver.

however, when i tried playing around with the monitor outputs, i ran into some issues. bottom line is i can't seem to get my video mon-out working.

it seems like i have to stay consistent in my video connections for the mon-out to work. if i use composite connections for my gear, then the composite mon-out works -- but the s-vid mon-out doesn't. if i switch all my gear to the s-video connection, then the s-vid mon-out works. :confused:

the website even statesnow, admittedly i haven't played with it a whole lot yet, but i thought i'd ask. i'll probably also follow-up with an email to yamaha.

thx,

ted

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ted.

Yes, most recievers dont convert from one video type to another.

I strongly suggest you standardize on SVideo for all inputs and for the monitor out.

A receiver that converts SVideo to Composite is actually down-converting the signal. You dont want to do this if your television takes SVideo.

"Home Theater" magazine compared all 3 video connection types on a "Reference" 50" RPTV and concluded:
  • Composite - baseline quality
  • SVideo - 20% improvement over Composite
  • Component - 25% improvement over composite

From a good source, SVideo will give you a better picture.

If you have 1 old device that only outputs composite, there is a cheap $20 Composite-to-SVideo converter you can get at Radio Shack.

Hope this helps.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh...thanks bob!

i just realized i read the yamaha website wrong. i was thinking s-video to component ... not composite.

heh...i guess sometimes it just takes a fresh perspective.

so...most receivers do not convert video connections ... that's good to know!

thx again!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
SVideo to Component - is a much easier conversion than Composite to SVideo. If your receiever will do this, go ahead and let it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks