What's new

Do I Really Need a Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
Ok... a little strange, but here goes: I NEVER listen to music. I don't care anything about music. (There, got it off my chest)... Here is a list of what I don't need: 1. Bluetooth 2. Internet 3. Wireless connectivity to phone 4. Computer access 5. AM/FM 6. Pandora 7. Station presets.... and on and on and on..... My Home Theater room is exactly that. Home theater only. So why do I need a receiver? Wouldn't a good 7 channel power amplifier do the job for me? Are there any power amps that I can use to do video up-conversion? (maybe I just answered my own question). I just don't want to waste time and money on a bunch of features that I'll never even think about using. I'll be connecting DirecTV, DVR, BlueRay player. That's it. Recommendations? Bill Luster H/K AVR65 (vintage 1998) Mitz 82842 82" Class Polk Monitor 65T's Polk OMW3 surrounds Polk Monitor 15C Center Sony 12" SA-WM40 sub

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think you would end up spending a lot more money buying amplifiers, a hdmi switcher, and a surround sound decoder than you would just buying an A/V reciever.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
A receiver is exactly what you need. Today's receivers function much more as home theater hubs than as ways to play music. I do use mine to play tunes from time to time, but it's primary function is to provide audio & switch video for three types of devices you listed. Also, most of those features you listed (except AM/FM) are bells & whistles. You can still get basic receivers without all that stuff.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
Thank you people... Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Just exploring options. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks