What's new

VGA vs. Component video quality (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Does VGA put out a better image than component with a DVD player, or are they the same? I'm considering a Yamakawa 288 DVD player with VGA, to hook up directly to VGA input on my X1 projector? Would the image be better because I'm not converting VGA to component video? Thanks for any advice.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
From a DVD player, VGA and progressive component video are theoretically the same in quality. The material is stored on the disk as component video. Differences may occur in the quality of the de-interlacing needed to get from the first stage of the DVD player (its MPEG decoder) to progressive scan (480p equals the regular VGA scan rate) and then conversion to VGA/RGBHV versus letting the TV (or projector) do the de-interlacing and the video will also ultimately end up as RGBHV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
VGA is really just a confusing term, since it really used to refer to a resolution. But when used now we all mean RGBhv via an HD-15 "VGA" plug that everyone is familiar with because all your computers have them.

So VGA, we are really talking about RGBhv, just over the familiar computer VGA plug that we recognize, as opposed to 5 separate connectors. But it's the same thing. That plug has all 5 cables in one mini-plug. RGBhv has separate R,G, B signals, and distinct h and v sync signals. It is analog, and is a superior transmission method compared to component. As noted by Allan, whether or not the superiority of RGBhv over component as a transmission method is noted in a particular setup depends. His answer is the easier version of the "it's complicated" answer.

In most case I very much doubt you'll see a difference, especially with consumer equipment. And because one or another output may be better designed, you may even find situations where component is superior.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks