What's new
World Wide Stereo

Vey Low Volume On Shows Saved To VHS (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As my title states, someone I know can barely get enough volume out of her Tivo'd shows that she has taped to VHS.

She is using a Scientific Atlanta cable box-the 4200HD to be exact. The audio output is set to 'fixed'. Should I have her try setting it to 'variable' and raising the cable box volume itself? I know that setting affects the level to the output jacks, so would it also affect the recording level?

As I write this, it makes sense that that would be the case... Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
In general, when recording from a "Box", you have to have the box's volume at "Max". Your TV has a volume control to compensate, the VCR doesn't. The volume on a box is actually an attenuator. Max is normal, lower is a reduction from normal. Higher is not an increase from normal. At least that is the way every box I have seen personally is designed. Someone could build one differently but I don't think it would be a very good idea from a usage standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks