What's new

Very loud sound when Sony KV-27FS13 powers up (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My roommate finally convinced his parents to get a new TV (they had a rather old and basic 19") for their living room. They ended up getting a Sony KV-27FS13 which meet all their needs. It was bought in a city an hour from where they live.

After they got it home they were complaining about a loud sound it made when it was turned on. Both my roommate and I thought they were exaggerating. However, my roommate just got back from visiting his parents over the weekend, and informed me they weren't expurgating. They turned it on and the sound made him jump.

Anyone know anything about this? The TV seems to work fine after it starts up. Is this normal for this TV?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, it is normal for Sony TVs. There is nothing wrong with the set, although I've noticed that some models over the years are louder than others when powered on.

DJ

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I suppose I should mention the roommate has the same size TV but last years model and one step up. I asked him how many times louder the sound his parents TV makes when it starts up is compared to his own. He responded that it was more than 10 times.

He said you can tell when the TV is turned on no matter where you are on the first floor of the house (the TV is on that floor). Even in a bedroom 20 feet away through a wall over music.

Still normal?

James D

Second Unit
I believe the noise that has been heard is the set degausing itself, a feature on all Wegas. The television automatically degauses everytime that you fire it up. However, I don't believe that it should be as noticable as you described.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Guys,

I had to chime in here. I currently own a 27" Sony Trinitron- it's 8 yrs. old, so I've forgotton the model number. AND, I plan on upgrading soon, but I digress.

My set does the same loud 'power on' as has been described. And it's been that way for a loooooooooooooong time.

... still don't understand it, but it WILL make you jump if you're not prepared for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks