What's new

Vertical Black bar on 480i inputs (1 Viewer)

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Panny PT47WX42 and I recently noticed something funny with my 480i inputs. Cable and component inputs in progressive work just fine.

Viewing a PS2 generated 480i image on S-Video, I get a vertical black bar on the right side of the screen. It's just like the horizontal bars of a 2.35 movie, for example.

It's only on the right side.

I think I know some possibilities.

My TV had some warranty work done a while back to replace the Green CRT. Afterwards, the tech supposedly did my convergence but I noticed a strange white vertical beam on the left side of the screen. I fiddled with the convergence and found that by moving my Green convergence setting more to the left it got rid of this vertical bright white bar. I haven't watched anything but cable, DVD and Xbox for the past few months and never had problems with those.

I recently played a 480i Xbox game and noticed this vertical black bar. Then I played my PS2 and noticed it, again. Any ideas?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The horizontal size (for overscan adjustments) and horizontal position have been set differently before you had the major repair done, so the black side bar wasn't visible at first. Picture size may vary slightly for 480i vs. 480p and also for different makes and models of DVD player, etc.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
Allan,

So I take it the only fix would be to go into the service menu and alter the overscan adjustments?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks