What's new

Veronica Mars Season 2 (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's been a long time since I've watched the S1 finale, but that pic looks like it's from the end of that episode where she dreams that she's hanging out with Lilly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife and I watched S1 over the course of a month. We watched S2 Friday night and all day Saturday. We enjoyed it mildly :D

I feel for those of you who had to watch it over a regular season, with all the delays, VCR hiccups, and sports interruptions. Watching it in short course on DVD is sublime. (I've tried to convince my wife to eschew broadcast TV and only do DVD now, but she loves her Survivor and ANTM...)

I prefer S1 -- it's a bit more "pure of essence". The entire mystery is wholly centered on Veronica and clearing the mystery is a directly personal issue for her. The mystery in S2 is external -- she blames herself initially but it's not really about her. It was also a bit sloppier in leaving loose threads(1). Regardless, it was an excellent season and did a better job of tying in the "monster of the week" episodic mysteries into the season arc.

Is S3 worthwhile? I'm waiting for it to go on sale, but I've heard it's much weaker.

(1) I have these remaining questions. Perhaps they're addressed in S3.
* What's Kendall's relationship with the Fitzpatricks?
* What's the deal with Woody's creepy Son & Wife issues?
* Why didn't Lamb arrest Meg's parents for child abuse? Is he really incompetent to the point of being evil?
* Why was Kendall meeting with the SEC regulator? It made no sense for her to rat out Father Casablancas.
* Why did Duncan kidnap baby Lily? He's the legal parent / guardian?
* It was setup that Duncan had no money on his own. How could Duncan survive and raise Lily on his own, in Austrailia?
* Where did VM graduate? What about the scholarship?
* And how is Keith Mars, PI to the rich and famous and book author of scandalous murder mystery, not fabulously wealthy working as a high-end PI for the elite? ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just saw the Mac vs. PC commercial with her the first time last night, coincidentally while watching Kristen Bell's appearance on the Late Show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm making my way through this series and just finished Season 2. "Not Pictured" was a terrific season finale. The big reveal of the perpetrator was very effective. It reminded me a bit of a certain Agatha Christie novel, in that you never expect the murderer to be a series regular in the main credits.

It was also effective that Veronica got final resolution about her rape just as her high school years were ending. It felt like a cop out to me in the first season that Veronica's rape was actually something approximating consensual sex between her and Duncan, who had both been roofied by Logan. That it was Beaver all along felt more "real"; if he could lie so convincingly all season long, it makes sense that he could lie convincingly about that.

I thought the second season had a better balance between Veronica's quickly wrapped up episodic cases and the season-long main mystery. The first season had lots of standalone episodes, and maybe a quarter to a third of the episodes dealt heavily with the mystery surrounding Lily's death and Veronica's rape. The second season kept moving the season-long arcs forward with every episode, and did a nice job balancing those threads with the episodic plots.

I can't believe this show had Tessa Thompson as a series regular! I wonder if Rob Thomas and company had any inkling that she was going to be a big damn movie star when they wrote her out after one season. Her character was very unlikable in her initial arc, but I really warmed to Jackie over the course of the season. The reveal about her personal history and her life in New York was satisfying, and explained some things that didn't make sense earlier in the season based on the story she'd told about her past.

It's amazing how many of the writers went on to do other things I watch. John Enbom went on to create "Party Down" with Rob Thomas. Diane Ruggiero went on to develop "iZombie" for television with Rob Thomas. Phil Klemmer went on to write for "Chuck", and is currently the showrunner of "Legends of Tomorrow" which is consistently the most fun hour of television I watch each week. Dayna Lynne North wrote for "Switched at Birth".

I'll probably dive into Season 3 later this week. I wish I knew when the Hulu season was coming, so I'd know how fast to pace myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks