What's new

Velodyne HGS owners....PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE! (1 Viewer)

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I know we have several HGS owners here in the forum and I got no response to my previous post concerning spikes. I know I haven't said anything to make anyone mad...at least I don't believe I have.

Bottom line, the HGS does not come with spikes or any kind of feet that I am aware of. I have the HGS-15 on order. My floor is carpet over concrete slab. Should I be concerned with spikes or just set the HGS directly on the carpet? I'm concerned that it will move around if I don't use spikes. I have 3 Lovan Focal Points but not sure if 3 will work....this sub is rather heavy.

Any suggestions on what you use is very greatly appreciated.

Many, many, many, many thanks and Merry Christmas...

Let's see, what else...oh yeah, thanks to all those folks who have provided me with a wealth of information thus far ... I know I haven't contributed much but I will as time & knowledge permits.

SP

PomingF

Second Unit
My 18 never moved an inch. Of course it also depends on how hard you want it to hit. Seriously I would try without spikes first.

PF

Alex F.

Second Unit
Our Velodyne FSR-18 sits directly on a rug that's over a concrete slab, too. The sub has never moved even slightly.

Happy listening!

John H

Second Unit
I use a pair of HGS-18's on a carpet covered concrete slab floor.
No movement at all even at extremely high volumes.
John

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Same situation HGS-18, carpet over concrete. The sucker weighs over 100 lbs and has not moved one inch! I have it calibrated using Avia to the recommended setting and have played movies at reference volume, including the Pod Race.

Mike

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Thanks fellows, and here's a quote from an earlier post I made in response to a suggestion Kevin Brown gave me:

Well I took your advice Kevin, I called Velodyne....I spoke with Kurt and very interestingly he gave me some good tips.

#1 He stated that he had personally measured -6db @ 20hz when he placed his HGS-15 on spikes. He stated they are all scientist and don't believe in anything that they can not prove is beneficial, although he would not argue with anyone that wants to use spikes....some audiophiles might want that -6db drop @ 20hz....I know I would not. He advised to place the HGS directly on the carpet and let her rip.

#2 He agrees with the owner of Velodyne concerning cables and that is quote: "Whatever is free." He stated the cheaper cables are absolutely fine. He has a garage full of cables (expensive cables included) that he doesn't use because he nor anyone else at Velodyne have ever been able to measure a difference in sound quality over the cheaper cables. Again though he stated he would not argue with anyone who wanted to spend whatever on cables. As he stated cables have a tendacy to create a filter thus changing the sound and that might be what an individual wants. He did say that he would use at least a good built cable and many of the entry level cables would be good but he would never overspend on cables. He suggest $30-$50 to get a quality built sub cable was not overspending in his opinion and he'd even want something that looked good to help compliment his sub. He stated he might even spend up to $100 on interconnects, but thought that there were many cable companies out there that were plum ridiculous with their marketing hype.

So, I thank you for the suggestion to call....I enjoyed speaking with Kurt. We talked for quite a while and he was very helpful.

He also said that in the next series of HGS models that they were considering adding a parametric EQ. Now that would be cool.

SP

It seems as though you are all right on the money and I appreciate the suggestions from you as well.

SP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks