What's new

VCR connection problem (1 Viewer)

Ann Durango

Auditioning
Am a HTF newbie and just hooked up new system. Can't get the VCR to record or play back thru the receiver.:frowning: Everything else works fine. Components of system are: Harmon Kardon 525 receiver , Dish DSS, Toshiba VCR, Panasonic DVD, Sony TV. DSS receiver is connected to HK 525 with both S video and composite cables for video and analog cables for audio. VCR is connected to HK525 with composite cables: video play/out from VCR to VID1 in on HK525; video in from VCR to VID1 out on HK525. (VCR doesn't have S video or component terminals.) DVD component cables are connected directly to Sony TV; Toslink audio cable is run thru HK 525. Also, I left in place the original coax cable connection from the DSS to the VCR, and from the VCR to the TV. Should I disconnect it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This is probably the way your TV works (in combination with many HK receivers). If I understand correctly, you have your composite and S-Video inputs connected, to the 525 and then one output from the receiver to the TV, the DVD player excluded.

In this case, if you have run an S-Video output from your receiver to the TV, the TV thinks that it always see an S-Video signal. So when you select a composite input (the VCR) the output is still composite as far as the TV is concerned (even though it is coming in on the S-Video cable). Which means that the TV does not understand (and can’t decode) the signal—it thinks S-Video and sees composite.

The cheapest solution is to connect the VCR directly to your TV via composite—though I’d still run the R/L RCA audio to the receiver for the sound.

The best solution is to get a PVR or S-Video deck and connect that to your receiver via S-Video.

I’m pretty sure that this is not a problem for some of the newer HK receivers.

Ann Durango

Auditioning
Thanks, Lew. What you say makes sense. I knew (from reading HTF FAQs and posts!) that the receiver can't convert one type of signal to another (S video to composite, for example). That's why I connected the DSS to the receiver with both S video and composite. Forgot about the fact that I should also connect the receiver to the TV with composite as well as S video cables. (Duh! :rolleyes) Will try doing that, or just connecting the VCR video directly to the TV. Didn't do that originally cause I kinda wanted to avoid extra switching by running everything thru the receiver except for the component video from the DVD player.

BTW, I've been lurking for over a year on the Forum. Have gotten lots of great info on selecting a TV (bought a year ago), DVD player, receiver, speakers, sub and remote. Have been able to get most of the info I need by searching other threads. That's why this is my first post even though I've been lurking for a year.

Thanks again for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks