What's new

VCI Said More Restored Serials On The Way Which Of These Would Be Day One Purchase! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
VCI has a LONG list of Universal Serials they have and will be restoring looking over their huge list these are titles I am itching to see restored hopefully sooner than later who knows maybe they are in the pipeline already! Which of these would you jump on right away?

ADVS OF SMILIN JACK
ADVS OF THE FLYING CADETS
DON WINSLOW OF COAST GUARD
DON WINSLOW OF NAVY
GREAT ALASKAN MYSTERY
JUNIOR G-MEN
JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR
ROYAL MOUNTED RIDES AGAIN
SEA RAIDERS

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Good list and a purchase on day one. I do hope that Mystery of the River Boat (1944) will be forthcoming.
Smilin Jack looks like a fun serial never saw it - wish for the dead end kids serials! Mystery of the River Boat was enjoyable on dvd r from them!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
VCI has a LONG list of Universal Serials they have and will be restoring looking over their huge list these are titles I am itching to see restored hopefully sooner than later who knows maybe they are in the pipeline already! Which of these would you jump on right away?

ADVS OF SMILIN JACK
ADVS OF THE FLYING CADETS
DON WINSLOW OF COAST GUARD
DON WINSLOW OF NAVY
GREAT ALASKAN MYSTERY
JUNIOR G-MEN
JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR
ROYAL MOUNTED RIDES AGAIN
SEA RAIDERS
I am hearing Junior G-Men might be next after one more gets done!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Highly anticipating The Phantom Creeps !
Im also interested in The Phantom and The Green Hornet.
I havent seen any from your list :)
The Phantom great quality I have it Me too on The Phantom Creep The Phantom 7.98 on sale well worth it!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
These would be day 1 for me:
JUNIOR G-MEN
JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR
SEA RAIDERS

I'm a big Bowery Boys/East Side Kids fan and have never seen these 3 serials. I have avoided the poor quality public domain versions for years in hope that a remastered version would be released.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
How about "The Mysterious Mr. M", the last Universal serial, featuring Richard Martin in one of the few films he wasn't playing Chico Rafferty mostly of the Tim Holt westerns . He used his real voice in the serial instead of the accented "Chico" voice.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
How about "The Mysterious Mr. M", the last Universal serial, featuring Richard Martin in one of the few films he wasn't playing Chico Rafferty mostly of the Tim Holt westerns . He used his real voice in the serial instead of the accented "Chico" voice.
You mean Chito Jose Gonzales Bustamonte Rafferty.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
These would be day 1 for me:
JUNIOR G-MEN
JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR
SEA RAIDERS

I'm a big Bowery Boys/East Side Kids fan and have never seen these 3 serials. I have avoided the poor quality public domain versions for years in hope that a remastered version would be released.
yep - me too - I HEAR JUNIOR G MEN MIGHT BE UP AFTER THE NEXY ONE GETS RELEASED!!!!!!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Any would be great. But i would be very excited to get the Dead End Kids/Little Tough Guy/Bowery Boys serials. Have them all on dvd would love to see an upgrade to Blu Ray.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Of the original list? None, though might get a few later depending on sales. I go more for the Superhero/SF/Horror/Jungle ones. Fortunately I already own the VCI copies they published of all of those from Universal as many look to be OOP (or just aren't listed on VCI's site).

The only title they keep stalling that I'd purchase "Day one" is The Phantom Creeps - and it appears Sony is causing the delay as they hold distribution rights to the copies VCI needs to complete the project (the Universal supplied prints reportedly have missing reels and other major issues for half the serial, thus the need to use the Library of Congress held masters for which Sony has rights). They're supposedly cooperating but have yet to allow access to the prints.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Of the original list? None, though might get a few later depending on sales. I go more for the Superhero/SF/Horror/Jungle ones. Fortunately I already own the VCI copies they published of all of those from Universal as many look to be OOP (or just aren't listed on VCI's site).

The only title they keep stalling that I'd purchase "Day one" is The Phantom Creeps - and it appears Sony is causing the delay as they hold distribution rights to the copies VCI needs to complete the project (the Universal supplied prints reportedly have missing reels and other major issues for half the serial, thus the need to use the Library of Congress held masters for which Sony has rights). They're supposedly cooperating but have yet to allow access to the prints.
which ones are you thinking went out of print

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Smilin Jack looks like a fun serial never saw it - wish for the dead end kids serials! Mystery of the River Boat was enjoyable on dvd r from them!

I'd say "Adventures of Smilin' Jack" (1943) is definitely one of Universal's better 1940s serials, although not as good as "Gang Busters" (1942), which probably merits the top spot. I did once try to ask 'Smilin' Jack's' leading-lady Marjorie Lord about her memories of working on the serial, but her rather unenthusiastic reaction (which was already present after I queried her about working with Wheeler and Woolsey) prodded me to just drop the subject altogether and move on.

Add me to those strongly wishing for VCI to tackle "Jungle Mystery" (1932). Not just because I like jungle-themed chapterplays (which I do), and I like leading-hero Tom Tyler (which I do), but also for pretty co-star Cecilia Parker. Before she was Andy Hardy's sister at MGM, she had a busy little career in westerns and serials. This included a trio of interesting, spooky/offbeat westerns, like the great "Mystery Ranch" (1932-Fox) with George O'Brien (who used to refer to Cecilia as 'Skippy,' a nickname I'm not sure he initiated). The two others being "Unknown Valley" (1933-Col), in which Buck Jones encounters, and is enslaved by, a weird religious sect hidden out in the desert, and "Tombstone Canyon" (1932-Sono Art), with Ken Maynard contending with a masked 'phantom' terrorizing the populace. A neat little batch of curious, above-average b-westerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks