What's new

VCD vs. DVD (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,

I have found a great Chinese import store that has tons of great HK DVDs in region 0 format. It has been like a kid in a candy store for me, but many titles still elude me. They also have an extensive VCD collection that does have many of the films I want that haven't found their way to DVD in R0 or R1 format. Is VCD watchable? How does it compare to DVD? VHS? Similar choices exist on it (such as subtitles and language choice)? Do they have "regional" versions, as well, like DVD? They are cheap (typically from $5-10, depending on the title) and have a lot of stuff that is missing on DVD. Should I take the plunge and get some of these?

Thanks!

Phil

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
VCD has a single audio track- so only features one language. Subtitles are only available if they're burned in, so they're not removable like DVD (and often VCD has 2 sets of subs on screen at a time).

VCD picture is VHS quality or maybe a little worse-- resolution is similar but motion artifacts make VCD look really bad on many things with motion in them. There are no regional codes for VCD.

What is worse, many VCD titles are bootlegs (some are even straight up video tapes from camcorders in theaters!). Often region 0 asian title on DVD are also bootlegs.

-Vince

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Many VCDs contain 2 mono audio tracks, 1 on the left, 1 on the right channel.

What is this online store? DDDHouse? YesAsia? HKFlix? Poker Industries?

Any of those are legit (Yes Asia has slipped a couple times, but normally OK)

Martin G

Second Unit
VCD quality is a little above VHS in still frames, homever the biggest problem with VCD is that you get artifacting and jerky motion a lot. That tends to make the VHS tapes look better.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Hmmm...good food for thought. This is not an online store, but a brick and mortar shop in Cleveland. yes, they sell boots of the VHS tapes (which look crappy...friend bought some) but their DVD's are legit. I have a lot of Region 0 DVD's that I got from many sources. I can see the VCD being boots, though, since they are so into it. This is sad, because he has some tapes that aren't on DVD yet that I want but only want the originals....grrr....

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks