Has anyone made MPEG-1 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Berger, Mar 7, 2003.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Sonic's DVDit PE will let me make MPEG-1 DVDs. Now, I've never done this before but I'm immensely curious about this.

I'm looking at converting all of my daughters oft-watched videotapes to DVDs so that she doesn't wear the tapes out and so that I can reclaim some DVD rack space.

Do DVDs really allow MPEG-1 encoding on them?

The way that I look at it, an MPEG-2 DVD with a really low bit rate might give me three hours; but an MPEG-1 DVD with a bit rate almost 60% better than VCD can still give me about five hours of respectable-quality video on a DVD. Since VHS only has a resolution of 320x240 (roughly), it seems kind of silly to make VHS->DVD in MPEG-2 since there would be no real benefit to it. (And it's for my not-yet-three-year-old-daughter. Like she's going to care about MPEG-1 vs. MPEG-2.)

Has anyone done anything with this or is an "MPEG-1 DVD" Sonic's euphemistic way of saying "VCD"? I could probably RTFM, but that means that I'd have to find my manuals which are somewhere in this house. :b

2. John_Berger

Okay, I found the manual, but it said nothing in particular. The only thing that it stressed is that an MPEG-1 project cannot use MPEG-2 files and vice versa. (Well, duh!) The section on creating the DVD disc assumes that using CD-R is for cDVD.

So, it appears that an MPEG-1 DVD is truly that - a 4.3GB disc encoded with MPEG-1 instead of MPEG-2. Again, I can't say that I've ever seen that, so I ask again - has anyone ever done this before?

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, a DVD can carry MPEG-1

4. John_Berger

I figured that if anyone knew, you would. [​IMG]

Cool. This will work out better than I originally had anticipated, then.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The DVD specification really does include MPEG-1. The bitrate is limited to 1.856 Mbps.

But aren't you afraid that, when she gets older, your daughter won't forgive you for subjecting her to crappy MPEG-1 quality?

6. John_Berger

When she gets older she won't be watching the shows that I'm transferring for her. [​IMG]

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I have always understood that certain players have problems with this, because the player (certain models anyway) loads playback software based upon media type. When a DVD is detected, MPEG-2 software is loaded, and if a CD is detected, MPEG-1 software is loaded instead. Has anyone experienced this?

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

MPEG-1 is part of the DVD spec, in the same way that a DVD can have either Dolby Digital or PCM audio. If a DVD player can't play a DVD that has MPEG-1 video, then it's defective.

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

10. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

11. John_Berger

Actually, I capture it to DV through an analog/digital bridge, so the source file is 720x480. It's the MPEG-1 that only allows 352x240, or whatever it is.

I have to admit that MPEG-1 at a higher-than-VCD bitrate isn't all that distracting. That's blasphemy for some, I know, but video quality is personal preference. Since it's for my almost-three-year-old daughter who won't be watching it after a few years, it works for me.