Analog LCD Vs Analog CRT which is the more acurate display device

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Anthony Urzi, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Anthony Urzi

Anthony Urzi Stunt Coordinator

I have a duel moniter setup now on my new PC< Both running off an ati Radeon 9800 one off a db15, one of a dvi to db15 converter, both moniters are connected through db15's both running 1024x768.

I've watched numerous videos both dvd, divx, xvid, vcd, svcd etc, and nothing looks good on the lcd, *Dell E171FPb 18" I see lots of pixalation,artifacts, dithering etc, but even lowbitrate content *007 Goldeneye SE* looks fine on the CRT *no frills crt 19" CTX*

So my question is does the lcd just suck (text 3d rendered graphics and still images are beautiful, sharp, crisp and clear) or is the LCD showing things hwo it REALLY is and the crt i have just masks alot of the flaws of the content?

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Firstly,

any LCD, Plasma, or any other direct-address-pixel display is "digital" by nature. All CRT displays are analog.

If you feed an LCD an analog RGB signal it converts it to digital and "maps" it to it's own pixel grid.

For this reason, you shouldn't judge an LCD (or any digital display IMO) unless your runing DVI (digital video).

That being said, there is a huge range of quality to expect among various displays...be they digital or analog. LCD tends to have a hard time with contrast/black level which CRT can do easily. Also, LCD can have a slow lag-time between the on/off of the pixels and create motion blur.

Why is LCD so cool? Because it's flat.

Does it necessarily have a better PQ than a CRT monitor?

Nope.

Could it be better?

Depends on the particular LCD and CRT displays that you are comparing. In your case (again, this isn't 100% fair since you're not running DVI into the LCD monitor) your CRT display has better PQ (ie, it's not "masking" problems with your DVDs...it's just putting out a great picture).

-dave

3. Anthony Urzi

Anthony Urzi Stunt Coordinator

kinda figured as much but wasn't 100% sure....Hey if the lcd suported DVI in i'd be running it because my display adapter has DVI out, , but this particualr LCD's onyl video input is an RGB connector, which doesn;t make any sence based on what you're saying, at the very least it should have a DVI, best would be both, but no reason to simply have DB15

The CRT is being converted from dvi to db15...so both ar eudnergoign a conversion, seems like a fair matchup.

The reason i call the LCD "Analog" is because that is how it is described and marketed by the manufacturer.

Technically both DB15 and dvi are digital video out's am i right? DB15 is a common display connector for HDTV and Digital cable decoders,

The lcd actually has better black levels, but is also overall darker.

It's not a very expensive LCD but ti does the job i need it to do.

Even a still image in motion though has swiming artifacts, say a locked down camera filming in a stucko hallway, the camera is not (or barely) moving yet the texture is alive with noice, going from sharp to macroblur like a heavily compressed jpg, whiel the CRT is not nesicarily sharp.....but atleast consistent.

Obviously display's have a wide range of quality depending mor eon price then type, but of all the display options, being

tube tv, rptv, large LCD, Plasma, and single lamp lcd projectors and multi lamp *rgb* high end componant projectus, which comparing best of the best in each feild, and giving proper calibration and viewing distance, which has the highest image detail and is closest to refrence?

My g uess would be the componant projector....not thrown off by a reflecting surface liek a mirror in a rptv, closer pixel spacing then a plasma,