What's new

Using PC Speakers in Modest Gaming Setup (1 Viewer)

Jim X

Auditioning
I have recently ordered a Sherwood (RD-7108?) receiver, and have planned on using this with PC speakers for console gaming, in a racing cockpit. I guess I bought without thinking too far ahead, but was planning on buying the Logitech Z-640 5.1 speaker set to use with the receiver.

Now for a little background. I came up with this very cheap idea based on the Creative brand speakers I have now, they use a wired remote to control the volume of the the entire speaker system. Logitech Z-640's, on the other hand, adjust the volume via a knob on the center speaker. This is where the problem lies.

I need to know if the center Logitech speaker can be powered by a receiver, and still control the volume of the subwoofer.

The setup would go as follows, 2 left/right speakers, 2 surround, and one center plugged into the appropriate place in the receiver. The subwoofer would be plugged into the subwoofer preamp out from the receiver. Then plug the "extra" cord from the center speaker (this is assuming there is an extra cord that controls the volume of the subwoofer).

Is this going to work? I am almost positive it would work with my Creative speakers, because the remote volume control is not fed through a speaker.

But does the Logitech Z-640 have the extra wire coming from the center speaker this way to control it, or is it all integrated into some crazy random plug?

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, and I hope someone can help!

I would suggest either:

A: Forget about the Z-640 set. Pick up some small satellites and a powered subwoofer and use these with the Sherwood. Perhaps someone can make a recommendation on particular models. The Z-640 set is designed as an all inclusive system. Separating the components and using them with standard HT gear is more likely to create more problems than it's worth.

B: Cancel/Return the Sherwood. Forget about the Z-640 set and pick up something like the Z-680 or Z-5500 package instead. They're both substantially more powerful then the Z-640 set and they both provide the basic processing features you'd find in a basic receiver.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
I agree with Peter. The bulk of the cost of a setup like the Z-640 is the amp built into the sub, the actual speakers themselves are no great shakes. I also highly doubt the Logitech would have the pre-amp outs you'd need to run it through a receiver.

Since you already have a decent receiver ("decent" in comparison to a built in Logitech amp) and will be using this for gaming only, I say go on eBay and find the cheapest speakers you can find. Or you can look at Fluance.com for a real cheap 5.1 setup that's supposed to be quite decent.

Personally I'd just return the Sherwood amp and go with the Z-640, for gaming it'd be more than adequate, you don't need great sound for that, go as cheap as possible.

Jim X

Auditioning
The main reason I wanted to get the 6.1 Sherwood, is for the decoding. The second reason would be versatility, and third, the extra power. I would like in the future to use it as a normal receiver for dvd's etc, that's where the versatility comes in.

eddieZen, I am not sure what you mean by the necessary pre-amp outs. I would hook my Playstation up via optical cable to the receiver, it would decode the signal, then ouput the sound to the speakers, using the receivers amp for the 5 satelites. Then I would use the pre-amp out from the receiver and use a RCA to mini-jack converter into the subwoofers input. The subwoofer would then be running off from it's own amp, and the other speakers would be powered by the receiver.

The total cost being $111 shipped for receiver, and around $60 shipped for the 5.1 speaker system.

If I buy a normal set of speakers with no decoder, it would only play upmixed stereo :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . And if I bought a speaker set with a decoder it would cost around 180 at the very low end, and up to 280 for decent. The speakers with built it decoder would be a waste though if I needed more inputs, or flexiblity later on. If I get a receiver and decent (decent in PC terms)speakers, then I could upgrade later. :frowning:

Jim X

Auditioning
NOTE: I have found a new model of PC speakers from the same line of speakers, but is 6.1. All for 5 whole dollars more.

I believe it is! So in light of this new info I believe this is what I wish to do. Cheap, relatively easy, good sound quality for the price (based on reviews), and the receiver/speaker combination has the ability to use all major encoding formats.

Thanks all, and especially Mr. Wayne A. Pflughaupt.

Jim X

Auditioning
HAHA, I'm coming for you if it doesn't work!

Obviously not, thanks for the help, I may need a little advice later if it really doesn't work. Seriously though, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks