What's new

Using my separate power amp (1 Viewer)

Mirko

Agent
I have dicided to keep my JBL L-100's and ADCOM power amp.

What do I need to look for in an Audio/video receiver so that I am able to "pass thru" my ADCOM power amp and continue to power my JBL's (will use for front speakers) with the ADCOM?

Thanks,

Mirko

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Mirko

As Tom mentioned you need to have pre-outs on your AV-receiver. You don't need pro-outs for all channels, (just for the mains/fronts) if those are the "only speaks" to be separately amp'ed.

Some receivers offer pre-outs for all channels and others offer them just for a few channels. In the few channel pre-out units, generally the center, surrounds, and even rear center/s in a 6.1 capable unit.

Most mid-line and up receivers in all brands, usually do offer pre-outs for all or at (least a few channels). Just make sure it has pre-outs for the mains/fronts...

Glad to see someone still has a set of those wonderfull vintage JBL's making music! :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards
Geoff

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yes, assuming the receiver has preouts, you use analog cables from those preouts to the power amp. You would disconnect your speaker wires for the two channels from your receiver and attach them to the power amp instead. You should then be ready to go.

Mirko

Agent
So if I do that, does my ADCOM preamp, which handles my audio/stereo duties now, just stay our of the picute? Do I just put it away or can I still use it?

Thanks,

Mirko

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Keep the preamp in the loop for your 2 channel sources. Hook the preamp out from your receiver into an input on your 2 channel pre, adjust the volume to 12:00 (unity gain) and calibrate speaker levels through your receiver.

Mirko

Agent
Thanks for your prompt reply. I think I will choose a receiver pretty soon and then ask you guys if it suits my needs in terms of the necessary outputs to keep using my
ADCOM gear. My son has a new Denon, 883 (1803?), I think, and he's happy with it. What do you think? Is it a good receiver and does it suit my needs in terms of being able to run my ADCOMs thru it and my JBL L-100's.

Sorry to be such a PIA but this is all new to me. I used to be pretty good at stereo gear and my friends would look to me for advice. Then again...that was 20+ years ago.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The 1803 has stereo preouts (+ sub) so that should work OK with your Adcoms. Can you borrow your son's for a tryout.

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Mirko
I have owned a Denon, 883 (1803)for 20 months. It has 4 pre-outs (sub, center, frontR, frontL). I have recently added 2 Acurus 100W amps (A100x3 and A100). My PSB Image 5T front speakers have 2 sets of posts, one set drives the mid-range and woofer (2 6-1/2" speakers) and the other is connected to the 1"dome tweeter.

I used a "Y" splitter out each of the front pre-outs to send the front L/R info to separate channels in both amps. I connected the remaining center channel pre-out to the third channel of the A100X3. the "sub" pre-out is, of course, connected to my powered Subwoofer.

All I can say is, before adding the amps, the Denon sounded great! AFTER adding the amps, the sound has become superb!

The setup you have in mind is a great way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks