What's new

Using external speakers with tv? (1 Viewer)

Richard.H

Auditioning
I am new to the world of home theater and I am starting slowly. To enhance the audio from my tv, I intend to send the tv audio signal to an old receiver and connect two external speakers to the receiver. I assume that the external speakers will provide better audio quality than the built in tv speakers.
1) Is there any audio advantage to leaving the internal tv speakers on while the external speakers are on, or should I turn the internal tv speakers off?
2) On my old receiver, there are inputs for CD/Tape, Phono and Tuner. Does it matter which one of these inputs I connect to the audio output from my tv?
3) Are there other considerations when using external speakers with a tv?
Thanks.
Richard

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well Richard, first welcome to the forum. And yes you definitely want to use external speakers with your tv setup. Hopefully soon enough you'll be able to enjoy a 5.1 speaker setup and a receiver that can utilize Dolby prologic sound processing.

Personally I only use external speakers with my television. I actually don't know what the speakers on my tv sound like, since I haven't used them since the first day I've gotten the television.

The tuner input on the receiver is for the radio, I really don't see how there's a RCA input for this. Phono is for a record player (yeah this must be a old receiver). The cd/tape seems to be your only option with the following available inputs. Which would mean you'll have to sacrifice connecting any other source to this input (a cd or tape player for example).

This setup will allow you to enjoy your television programming in stereo at least. Make sure you check out the beginners thread to help you get abreast with the rest of the members here. And again welcome to the HTF.

Richard.H

Auditioning
Hi LaMarcus,
Thanks for your greeting and for your helpful response. What about the other issue I mentioned in my post, which perhaps you indirectly answered? Are there any audio advantages to leaving the internal speakers on, when the external speakers are on?
Thanks again.
Richard

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Richard,

There is no advantage I can think of to having both internal and external speakers powered at the same time.

The only exception might be if you wanted to use your TV speakers in the absence of a center channel speaker. In this case, I believe your receiver would need a pre-amp output jack for the center channel.

Even then, you may be better off using your left and right speakers (and no TV speakers) unless you have a big screen TV that has decent speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks