What's new

Using a better fiber optic cable? (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Will I see any benefits in my sound if I use a fiber optic cable other than the one that came in the box with my player? I'm not using the highest end equipment (Yamaha Rx-V440, Toshiba SD-3900, Paradigm speakers) so I don't know how much of a difference it will make. I was looking at the fiber optic cable at Radioshack also for reference. Just don't want to buy it if it won't make a difference. Thanks in advance

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So long as your present cable is making a good connection and isn't damaged (you'd hear either nothing or sporadic drop-outs) the answer is no. Sometimes, reality is just boring and it doesn't get any better.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
So Michael you are using a pack in cable that came with your player I assume right?

In my case I went from an Acoustic Research Brand and tried a/b/c when I purchased a Tara Labs optical as well as tried a cheapo Rat Shack brand.

The differences where nonexistent between the AR and Rat Shack but both were better than the out of the box cable.

The Tara Labs cable I bought was even better but at the price I paid for it, you have to ask yourself whether the difference is worth your money. In my case the cost difference was $15. I didn't think of a better way to upgrade my audio than that so I kept it.

As a side note I wouldn't have gotten an Optical cable but seeing as though the component I have it on only has that as its digital out, I didn't have a choice.

Best thing is to try it out yourself and decide for yourself. Cable topics are quite an issue as we all have our own levels of spending that we are comfortable with.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
So you would say go with coaxial over the fiber optic? The whole cable thing seems like a head ache...Im just willing to spend around $40 on a 3ft cable...even if its a minor improvement.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Michael, try a standard "video" cable from your collection of cables for the "digital coaxial" and see if you can hear a difference.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Typically the output levels to the speakers change when you go from optical to coax so that needs to be factored in.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think I paid $35 plus tax for a 1 meter Tara Labs cable. If I was to go get another "digital coaxial" cable, I'd strongly be considering one of the signalcables.com offerings. I have a friend who is using all signalcables and loves them. I was pretty impressed myself.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
I know a good cable is nice and all but how can people say he/she "loves" their cables.
I can say I love my receiver but I have no feelings whatsover for my cables. :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have seen many cables I can say I really hate.

So by contrast, I suppose it is possible to love particular cables. I have not run across any I feel love for, but I guess it could be possible. :) lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks