What's new

Having problems with my Audio when using Fiber Optic cable (1 Viewer)

josephviolante

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I have a Denon avr 3805, which has no HDMI inptu/output
I have a Velodyne sub
2 bose 601 towers
A bose center and surround

I just upgraded to a Panasonic 42"g10 TV and since I do not have HDMI on the receiver, I connected the Directv box directly into the TV and decided to use Fiber Optics for my Audio. I plugged the cable from the DCTV box to the receiver and the sound is muffled and I get no surround sound at all. And when I put a DVD in, it does not recognize the Dolby Digital either? It is basically no better than listening to the audio on the regular tv. What am I doing wrong?
I like my Denon and despite the Bose critics, I have no problem with the speakers and have always enjoyed a great sound.

Is there something that I need to adjust on the receiver?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Did you go into the DirecTv box's settings, and let it know to output audio over optical, instead of HDMI? Since HDMI carries both video and audio, you may need to tell it that audio is to be sent a different way? Also, set it to output Dolby Digital, instead of PCM.

Did you assign the optical input you used, to CBL/SAT (not TV)? If not, you need to, probably, unless it's a factory assigned input for it. I've seen factory assigned inputs for DVD, but not for CBL/SAT. The manual will tell you how to assign it.

If using an input for DVD, other than a factory assigned input, you'll need to assign it too. Also, in dvd player's setup menus, make sure the audio output is set to "Bitstream", and not PCM.

Also, on page 63 of the manual, you'll see info about the "Input Mode" button. Use that to make sure it's set on "Auto". Then when you get a digital signal, it should automatically go to Dolby Digital 5.1, or whatever. Even with dvds, it should automatically go to Dolby Digital soundtrack. It should say "Dolby Digital" in the receiver's display, when getting that signal.
I hope this helps.

josephviolante

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Thanks, I will that a try on the DCTV box. As for the CBL/SAT adjustment, I will check, however prior to switching to HDMI I was already running my Audio from the DCTV (non HD) box to the receiver. So I assume that the receiver is already set for CBL/SAT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks