What's new

USHE Press Release: JAWS (Blu-ray) (Plus restoration details) (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Interview with Michael Daruty of Universal over at www.aintitcoolnews.com. Here's an exerpt:
BG: What was the process you went through to reach the point where you decided to go with the original negative?
MD: We researched all of the elements, so we looked at all the existing elements from the original negative to the inner positive [EDIT: "inner positive"? Heh] to the negative prints, everything, and during that evaluation process we were looking to determine what would give us the best quality, the best resolution, and also how much work we would have to do on the element.
We did choose the original camera negative because it is the highest quality, even though the camera negative was in fair to poor condition due to its use over the years. It had multiple running scratches, moderate to heavy dirt, some film and perf damage and an overall grainy appearance [EDIT: So what?], but it did give us the highest resolution based on our testing because we knew that we could use some tools to be able to correct those problems.
BG: Right.
MD: It started with conducting a liquid or wet gate scan. So we conducted the liquid gate scanning which filled a lot of the running scratches, so then when we scanned it to 4k, which is the environment that we scanned the negative to and worked in. We were able to correct a lot of the scratches that were in it just by the wet gate process. And then with all of our digital tools and skilled technicians, we were able to correct all of the other problems with our dirt removal systems and our editing and systems that fix damage, and then we had some great processing to try and manage some of the grain [EDIT: Typical megacorp - managing something that doesn't need it].
BG: So it was certainly a meticulous process.
MD: Yeah, it is, it took us months to work on this and then we brought Mr. Spielberg in at certain points of it, got his opinion on how the colour grading was going, how the digital restoration and the grain management was, took a few notes from him, brought him back in after we made some corrections, and he was very pleased with the outcome.
BG: In June of last year actually, Steven spoke to [Quint] and that's when I believe he first mentioned that JAWS was being worked on for a Blu-ray release.
MD: We were getting ready to start at that time, yeah.
BG: How closely involved was he?
MD: Well, Steven understands the importance of this film to him as well as to the studio, so everything was pulled out, there was nothing left unturned in making sure this title looked as best as it could.
BG: I think it's great that you were able to get Steven on board. I mean, obviously, no one can argue with his vision, but I think one of the problems that exists with remasters – generally – is that often the crew member brought in as a consultant while the film is being worked on may have had a different vision to the director. Using a film I saw last year as an example, where the cinematographer was brought in, the colour palette had dramatically changed much to the chagrin of fans and all because that person had always thought it should be that way. So, it's great that Steven was able to come in and share his feedback with you.
MD: Steven's very supportive about making himself available to go through the process. Our intention is always to match to the original look of the [film] and the film-makers' vision, so as long as we stay along those lines we're usually pretty close to what he's looking for.
BG: What were his views on the amount of grain? Audiences are always hard to please where classics are concerned. Some like it, some don't.
MD: It always is, but you need grain; film has inherent grain in it. When we're dealing with high resolution content like that and an original negative that has some grain in it, it's a fine line on managing that [EDIT: Why?], and I think we've managed that fairly well in the look of the [film]. He was very happy with it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy, I'm starting to turn a bit on this release already. Really wish I wouldn't have read that.
This is one title that I feel should be emulated as close as possible to the actual film. What I do not want is a classic film(one of my favorites) to be "managed" in regards of the film grain to the point that it looks like it was shot digitally.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Bryan^H said:
Oh boy, I'm starting to turn a bit on this release already. Really wish I wouldn't have read that.
This is one title that I feel should be emulated as close as possible to the actual film. What I do not want is a classic film(one of my favorites) to be "managed" in regards of the film grain to the point that it looks like it was shot digitally.
I doubt it will look like it was shot digitally. My fear is that it will just look wierd.
I really do not understand why these people insist on doing this. I can see it when they do it. I see it on To Kill A Mockingbird, and I see it on Out Of Africa. It really bums me out we are getting a repeat with my favorite film ever, Jaws.
I never see this crap on Sony catalogue titles. Universal if you are reading, take note. No one complains about Sony BDs. There is a reason for that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Calvert said:
I really do not understand why these people insist on doing this. I can see it when they do it. I see it on To Kill A Mockingbird, and I see it on Out Of Africa.
You seem to have already convinced yourself that you're going to see it on Jaws too so maybe you should just skip it and save yourself the aggravation.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
According to that interview, Spielberg is happy with the transfer. I think I'll withhold judgement on this till it's released.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Johnny Angell said:
According to that interview, Spielberg is happy with the transfer. I think I'll withhold judgement on this till it's released.
Has there ever been anything different said by a dir or DP on any of these remasters?

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Bryan^H said:
http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/68-Major-New-Documentary-on-Jaws-Exclusive-Interview!.html
It's a 3 hour movie. However, a 100 minute version exists. I fear we may be 80 minutes shy of perfection.
According to the Bits: The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of Jaws documentary (102 minutes).
So it looks like it will be the shorter version, and not the full 3 hour feature.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Felix Martinez said:
Wow. Very excited about this release, but quite a bit of stuff contained on one BD-50 disc.
As I stated in another thread....A 120 min film even maxed out at 42mbps constant bit rate (variable bit rate is most common) would only take up about 37 gigs, leaving plenty of room for extra features on a 50 gig disc. Now 42 mbps is massive over kill for the vast majority of visual material, and about 20 mbps is the realistic top end where the BD copy becomes transparent to the HD master. At that rate, even peeking at 42 mbps (in a variable encode), a 2 hour movie is only going to use up about 19 gigs. There is more than enough room for extras. And I believe that The Shark Is Still Working, was filmed on SD cameras.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Scott Calvert said:
Interview with Michael Daruty of Universal over at www.aintitcoolnews.com. Here's an exerpt:
BG: What was the process you went through to reach the point where you decided to go with the original negative?
MD: We researched all of the elements, so we looked at all the existing elements from the original negative to the inner positive [EDIT: "inner positive"? Heh] to the negative prints, everything, and during that evaluation process we were looking to determine what would give us the best quality, the best resolution, and also how much work we would have to do on the element.
We did choose the original camera negative because it is the highest quality, even though the camera negative was in fair to poor condition due to its use over the years. It had multiple running scratches, moderate to heavy dirt, some film and perf damage and an overall grainy appearance [EDIT: So what?], but it did give us the highest resolution based on our testing because we knew that we could use some tools to be able to correct those problems.
BG: Right.
MD: It started with conducting a liquid or wet gate scan. So we conducted the liquid gate scanning which filled a lot of the running scratches, so then when we scanned it to 4k, which is the environment that we scanned the negative to and worked in. We were able to correct a lot of the scratches that were in it just by the wet gate process. And then with all of our digital tools and skilled technicians, we were able to correct all of the other problems with our dirt removal systems and our editing and systems that fix damage, and then we had some great processing to try and manage some of the grain [EDIT: Typical megacorp - managing something that doesn't need it].
BG: So it was certainly a meticulous process.
MD: Yeah, it is, it took us months to work on this and then we brought Mr. Spielberg in at certain points of it, got his opinion on how the colour grading was going, how the digital restoration and the grain management was, took a few notes from him, brought him back in after we made some corrections, and he was very pleased with the outcome.
BG: In June of last year actually, Steven spoke to [Quint] and that's when I believe he first mentioned that JAWS was being worked on for a Blu-ray release.
MD: We were getting ready to start at that time, yeah.
BG: How closely involved was he?
MD: Well, Steven understands the importance of this film to him as well as to the studio, so everything was pulled out, there was nothing left unturned in making sure this title looked as best as it could.
BG: I think it's great that you were able to get Steven on board. I mean, obviously, no one can argue with his vision, but I think one of the problems that exists with remasters – generally – is that often the crew member brought in as a consultant while the film is being worked on may have had a different vision to the director. Using a film I saw last year as an example, where the cinematographer was brought in, the colour palette had dramatically changed much to the chagrin of fans and all because that person had always thought it should be that way. So, it's great that Steven was able to come in and share his feedback with you.
MD: Steven's very supportive about making himself available to go through the process. Our intention is always to match to the original look of the [film] and the film-makers' vision, so as long as we stay along those lines we're usually pretty close to what he's looking for.
BG: What were his views on the amount of grain? Audiences are always hard to please where classics are concerned. Some like it, some don't.
MD: It always is, but you need grain; film has inherent grain in it. When we're dealing with high resolution content like that and an original negative that has some grain in it, it's a fine line on managing that [EDIT: Why?], and I think we've managed that fairly well in the look of the [film]. He was very happy with it.
Gran has to be managed because it doesn't always look like its supposed to when converted to digital, and down converted to HD. It can take on strange patterns or create effects like mosquitoing. Films often have to be "managed" so that they DO look on video like they did in the theater.
Doug

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Some people simply do not understand grain at all. It's all gleaned from things they've read on discussion boards or wherever. You have to have seen what a camera negative or internegative looks like before you can have any knowledge. The DVD Beaver guy constantly raves about THICK BEAUTIFUL GRAIN, as if that were somehow a plus and what the cameraman and director would have wanted. What they would have wanted is NOT thick grain - fine grain, yes, but thick? Haskell Wexler maybe. 16mm maybe. But anyone who thinks these Golden and Silver Age cameramen wanted thick grain or even grain that was noticeable should think again.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I doubt seriously if film makers gave much thought to grain one way or the other, unless it was in an effort to keep an optical from giving itself away. Grain was simply a by product of the process. I suppose if they had access to modern film stock they might have preferred an image with nearly invisible grain, but they didn't. Real reduction in visible grain (other than shooting in a large format) didn't really become possible until the late 1980s with the introduction of Eastman's T grain film stock. Before that grain was just a fact of the film maker's life. The film's original grain should be preserved as closely as possible when converting to home video, in my opinion.
Doug

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Voon Jiet said:
According to the Bits: The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of Jaws documentary (102 minutes).
So it looks like it will be the shorter version, and not the full 3 hour feature.
That's fine. I guess at this point something is better than nothing. Hoping Universal releases the full doc somewhere down the line.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Shark Is Still Working, isn't that an independent tribute project from some years back? Universal didn't have any involvment from it. I don't think, things could of changed from when I first came upon in some years ago, like 2006/2007.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Douglas Monce said:
I doubt seriously if film makers gave much thought to grain one way or the other, unless it was in an effort to keep an optical from giving itself away. Grain was simply a by product of the process. I suppose if they had access to modern film stock they might have preferred an image with nearly invisible grain, but they didn't. Real reduction in visible grain (other than shooting in a large format) didn't really become possible until the late 1980s with the introduction of Eastman's T grain film stock. Before that grain was just a fact of the film maker's life. The film's original grain should be preserved as closely as possible when converting to home video, in my opinion.
Doug
I agree with all of it. My point was that the film grain on a camera negative is not "thick" as the Beaver describes it. It would be fine grain, not popcorn-sized balls of grain, which is what the Beaver seems to enjoy.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
It started out as that, yeah, but the general consensus seems to be that Universal must have purchased it between now and then.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Douglas Monce said:
Gran has to be managed because it doesn't always look like its supposed to when converted to digital, and down converted to HD. It can take on strange patterns or create effects like mosquitoing. Films often have to be "managed" so that they DO look on video like they did in the theater.
Doug
I'm not certain this is really the case as far as noise reduction is concerned. I can see a 4K scan having to be filtered ever so slightly in downconversion to avoid aliasing/stair stepping, but that's it. Mosqito noise would would occur because of certain DNR algorithms (or MPEG compression, mostly in the case of DVDs).
And as always in these discussions, there are lots of excuses for why Universal has to do these things, but no one seems to have an explanation for why Sony doesn't. I don't see any DNR artifacts, mosquito noise or edge enhancement on their discs. Taxi Driver, Kwai, The Deep, Close Encounters, Caine Mutiny, etc

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Scott Calvert said:
I'm not certain this is really the case as far as noise reduction is concerned. I can see a 4K scan having to be filtered ever so slightly in downconversion to avoid aliasing/stair stepping, but that's it. Mosqito noise would would occur because of certain DNR algorithms (or MPEG compression, mostly in the case of DVDs).
And as always in these discussions, there are lots of excuses for why Universal has to do these things, but no one seems to have an explanation for why Sony doesn't. I don't see any DNR artifacts, mosquito noise or edge enhancement on their discs. Taxi Driver, Kwai, The Deep, Close Encounters, Caine Mutiny, etc
Maybe Sony just does it better...
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
haineshisway said:
I agree with all of it. My point was that the film grain on a camera negative is not "thick" as the Beaver describes it. It would be fine grain, not popcorn-sized balls of grain, which is what the Beaver seems to enjoy.
I suppose "thick" is a relative term. Compared to modern film stock, some might describe the grain on a vintage film as thick.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks